Maternal & Child Community
Pregnancy and Bowel Movements

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pregnancy and Bowel Movements

Okay, Sorry I have to ask this  but I cannot find any good informtion on line.

I have been experiencing increased bowel movements since becoming pregnancy, I am entering my sixth week.  I have read that it is common to experience constipation, and not the opposite.

Has any had any experience with this, good or bad? I don't remember this happening with my first two pregnancies.

Thanks 2girls.
I'm 15 weeks today and I know all to well what you're going through. In the beginning i was more "regular" than ever, now things have gone back to normal (a/b 1 time a day), but never had the constipation problem. Don't worry, you're just fine.
Have you changed your diet at all? This is my third pg also and I always get on health kicks while pg. Have you been craving a lot of one thing? Sugur or coffe would do it. I began making recipes out of "The Sanoma Diet" and eating bran cerial with 15g of fiber. I upped the 100% whole grains and fiber and I think my body got cleaned out in a most alrming way. I thought I had some kind of bug or bad water, but I was just over doing the bran and fiber!
I had a little bit of both.  I started out with constipation, but then around my 6th week things seemed to get regular.  The constipation came back though.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Just be glad you don't have the opposite problem yet!
i agree w/ greenpixie!!!  i was the opposite and oooooooo how not fun!!  it should ease up but if you are really concerned call your dr for some good advice on what to add to your diet to level you out!!
I'm glad you asked about this!  My bowel movements got suddenly very pale, not different in any other way, and it scared the * out of me to the point that I went to my regular doc and asked for a liver function test.  (I had a horrible virus last November that gave me ones that were the color of putty, very wierd!!! and so I was afraid the pregnancy had re-triggered some kind of mysterious damage to my liver that came from that time.)  Prenatal vitamins are supposed to give you constipation, and they did for me, but the minute I added Omega 3 (flax and fish oil) it was the opposite.  And it was a relief (sorry for all the puns in this posting!) because I also had the entirely stupid feeling early on that if I have to push too hard, the embryo would un-implant.  The upshot is that with pregnancy, maybe we can't expect one "normal" way.  Everyone is different, and month by month too.  All the best!