Maternal & Child Community
Pregnancy and Exposure to Hand, Foot,

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pregnancy and Exposure to Hand, Foot,

I am 3 Months Pregnant and my 4 yr. old son has been indirectly exposed to Hand, Foot, & Mouth Disease at his preschool. I am debating keeping him out of school next week.  I don't want him to come down with this but my even greater concern is that I would pick it up from him while I'm pregnant.

Have any of you had experience with this or know how dangerous this could be to me? I know there's no treatment for this or shot to prevent getting it. My OB is not telling me much to ease my mind.  It's not a given that he'll get it but if he does, I'm worried that I'll take it from him.  They say it's a virus that anyone can have but more common in children.  I didn't know if maybe some of you might have had an older child that had had this before.

I would appreciate any feedback.
what i know about the disease is that you can only get it once, so you might be immune to it.  also, it is only harmful in very early pregnancy (not sure if 3 months is beyond the time it is harmful)  also, it is not guaranteed that if you get the disease, your unborn child will be affected.  i think the possibility of birth defects is remote.  that's all i know - i hope it helps ease your worry.
karen
I have had the "pleasure" of hand, foot and mouth disease when I was eight. It is very uncommon for anyone over the age of 10 to contract the disease so I wouldn't worry too much about getting it yourself or giving it to your baby.