Maternal & Child Community
Pregnancy and dilation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pregnancy and dilation

I am 38 weeks pregnant. I went to the doctor last week and I'm one centimeter dilated. I have been having regular contractions since I was 6 months and lost my plug at 6 months. I'm having frequent contrations that are strong and uncomfortable but I use the breathing method. My doctor suggest I start walking but I have two weeks left. Does anyone know how long it will take for me to fully dilate and be in active labor? I have heard some people say you can dilate fast or dilation can take it's time. If you have any advice let me know.
throughout my pregnancy i walked so when i finally figured out that i was in labor and made it to the hospital i was dilated at 5.  i delivered 7 hrs later.  but everyone is different.  i was told to stay active like walking, that makes it easier and smoother.
From you being one centimeter dilated how long did it take you to fully dilated? A week, 2 weeks or after you due date?
If it is okay for you to have sex, semen thins the cervix. Many people feel this speeds things up.
Does the mucus plug normally come out as early as 6months?  I am a first timer and am just beginning my 6th month.

It took less than a day.  I went to the doctors earlier that day and she said that i had a couple more days to go.  well by eleven i was in the hospital being prep'd for delivery.
vurtrice -  At 38 weeks pg, you're considered full-term and could go into labor any day.  However, you could walk around being 1 cm dilated for a long time.  There's no way to predict when you will begin labor, I'm sorry.  Some women do dilate a little, and then never progress and have to be induced.  It's just one of those things that is anyone's guess.  Just keep doing your walking, have sex (semen is good to help soften the cervix), and maybe try sitting on a birthing ball.  GOOD LUCK, I HOPE YOUR TIME IS SOON!!!!

decogrl - No, it is not normal to lose your plug that early.  In order to lose your plug your cervix must start to dilate and you certainly don't want to be dilating at 6 mo.  If you did lose your plug you'd definitely want to call the doctor and be monitored very closely for preterm labor.
I did lose some of my mucus plug at 6 months it was horrible. Some contractions I felt and others I didn't so my doctor informed me to go the the hospital. As soon as I got there and they hooked me up I had 3 contractions that fast. So they keep me I was given fluid, magnesium, and 3 shots of steroids for the baby's lungs. They ended up keeping me for 3 days doing test and everything and could'nt find out what the problem was. I had been having contractions since my 5 month but I never paid them any attention. I was said to be working to hard and wen I was suppose to bed on bed rest I was working 35-46 hours a week. Being hard headed. But this time leaving the hospital I did take my bedrest for a week like I was suppose to at first. Everybody body is different and if you feel the need to rest do so while pregnant. Because I don't want anybody to go through preterm labor like I did. Take care of your body and rest frequently.
hey ladies! this is my first pregnancy and i will be 36 wks on tuesday, i had a drs appt this past thursday and she told me i have already dialated 1cm. she said thats pretty fast to start dialating right now, so my question is.. do you think my chances of going into labor sooner than sep 5 high?  i have contractions at times and im letting out the yellowish discharge.. i have a scheduled ceserean for sep 5 but everyone is telling me im going to have him before then.... oh and having sex right now is that good or bad?? dr says that it will cause contractions but didnt tell me i had to stop.
Everyone is different. With my first I was 1cm dialated for 3 weeks and had to be induced at 42 weeks.
I am 37 weeks and 5 days pregnant. I have been having contractions 5 minutes apart for 2 weeks. They are painful..some more than others and make it difficult to walk. I have been feeling a lot of pressure on my pelvic bone. It makes it even more painful to walk. Everytime I go to the hospital they send me home. I have been at 1 and 1/2 cm dilated and 65% effaced for 2 weeks. The is to the point where I have to be holding on to something when I walk and I can't get in and out of bed without help. What can I do to speed things up??
i walked on my tredmill 1 mile a day until i was 24 weeks pregnant. that's when i dialated 2 cm and was 50 % effaced and my ob put me on bedrest. i stayed 2 cm dialated until i was 34 weeks when i went into labor.