Maternal & Child Community
Pregnancy and surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pregnancy and surgery?

I am hoping to TTC again this month, however, I may require surgery on my foot. We are holding off ttc until at least the CT scan is done, but should I not try all month just in case I require surgery? (I probably won't find out for three weeks whether or not they are going ahead with the surgery, which will pretty much cause me to miss my fertile time this month). Can you be pregnant and still undergo surgery or is it best we don't ttc at all this month??
I underwent surgery while I was pregnant.  I hd a cerclage put in to stitch my cervix closed.
They usually do it under a local anesthetic but since I am prone to panic attacks, I was completely sedated and put out.
I think it's ok.  They monitored the baby throughout and immediately afterwards.
Good luck.
PS
I also had a ct scan done while pregnant.  I was about 6 months and suffering from horrible migraines.  They didn't use dye but it was perfectly safe.
Thank you so much for letting me know. I was scheduled for a CT scan last week, but because I did not know for sure if I was pregnant or not, they canceled it and rebooked it for next week..which, I am now going ahead with. I want to ttc this month, but I was so worried that that would mess things up with surgery, but it sounds like it was fine for you:) Thanks:)
You're welcome.  It was ordered by my high risk ob/gyn if that helps any more.
Also, just make sure they don't inject you with any dyes.  
Good luck again....

Ohh...I just read this on a website: (and if this were true, that totally means if I was preggo, they might not operate at all...My DH does not want to ttc if it messes up possible surgery, but then I could be months without trying :(

Nevertheless, most anesthesiologists and surgeons prefer not to operate during the period of embryonal development and organogenesis, which occurs on days 14 through 56.

The incidence of preterm labor in the second and third trimester is well documented.

WOW... well I was 22 weeks when sedated.
I think your situation is a little different because you would be POSSIBLY pregnant and there really wouldn't be anything to monitor.
Is this surgery really necessary?
Can I ask what it's for?
You might have to wait...
Or, can this surgery be done with a local anesthetic?
I just had abdominal surgery, they removed my right ovary which encased a large tumor and my right falliopian tube.  They had to wait till after 12 weeks and before 16 weeks to do the surgery because of the anestesia, but things went very well.  If your heart is set on TTC, then don't put that off because of your foot.  Your foot can always be operated on, we have such a short span of time when we can have children.
The surgery is to drill holes into my ankle- I have a severe fracture in it. The surgery is not a sure thing yet, until after my CT scan in a week, but it is fairly probable that it will happen. I am getting older now and we've been ttc for a year and a half without success, but I don't want to finally get pregnant and then find out I have to wait for the surgery. On the other hand, my clock is ticking and I am running out of time due to my age. My DH says he wants to shut down the whole ttc if there is a possibility of surgery because he would not want to harm a little one..but the surgery also could be months away, depends how quickly it could be scheduled.