Maternal & Child Community
Pregnancy rash? In early pregnacy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pregnancy rash? In early pregnacy?

Hey I was wondering if any one else has experienced something like this in early pregnancy. I
wow that looks really itchty. Don't know what is wrong, but do know that benedryl is safe to take during pregnancy.  With my first I had hives at the end of my 2nd trimester and took it then.  It will make you sleepy but will take away the itch.  Someone should see you before monday?  It is only Wednesday.  Good luck
I had PUPPS, and in rare cases it can occur earlier than your 3rd trimester.  I'm not quite sure of the pictures and locations of your rash though.  I had it on my belly, below the belly button line, and then only on my wrists/hands and ankles/feet.  I had nothing on my back or my arms.  

I'd definitely get seen though!!  Whatever it is, it needs to be addressed.
Oh, have you been using any new lotions at all to help with the general itchiness of pregnancy?  You might be having an allergic reaction to that.
I got a wad of nasty bumps from cocoa butter, which is of course the classic recommended thing for preggers ladies' skin.
I have not been doing anything, using anything, or eating anything diferant from before I was pregnant and this just showed up 2 days ago. so im baffeled. I tried to get in earlyer to the dr and they said they are packed and couldnt get me in till monday and i even told them what was going on and they said for me to not worrie it will be addressed at the appointment i was like uhg ok so.... Now I'm waiting and that
Maybe call them back and ask if you can take Benedryl in the meantime to see if you can get some relief.
I had a rash very early in this pregnancy...it cleared up after my first trimester...not sure what it was..but it went away and everything's fine now.
I have been taking childrens Benedryl and it helps a lot but makes me so sleepy.

~Davina~
Hi Davina,

Did your rash clear up? I am 14 weeks pregnant and i think I have the same thing. Did you find anything that worked for you?
Oh my goodness...I have the same thing!  I am only 9 weeks along, and it is not on my belly...it is on my thighs (front and back,) hips (front and back,) and insides of my arms.  It is crazy.  I am so itchy!  I am going to check out a few more websites about taking benedryl...but it sounds like a great idea!  I am so sorry you are itchy too, but also thankful to find that this may be sort of normal even though I am only 9wks along.  I cannot get into my dermatologist until next Thursday!  Good luck at your appt!
has your rash cleared up???? I am barely 5 weeks and I can not stand this. I do not have it in my belly though. I had PUPPS in my 3rd trimester of my first pregnancy and i did have it in my belly. This is my second pregnancy and I am desperate because I really do not want to go through the same thing throughout the whole pregnancy :(
what did your rash look like? was in in your belly or just in your limbs?
I am barely 5 weeks and I got the rash and they look like tons of mosquito bites but they are not in my belly.
I am 14 weeks along and I also have PUPPPs.  My doctor gave me Benadryl, Calamine lotion and Aveeno Oatmeal bath.  This is my 3rd pregnancy and my first time to get it.  My friend got it with her first at 32 weeks...it spread so bad she was put on steroids.  The most interesting article I found researching on the net was on about.com's website.  

http://dermatology.about.com/cs/pregnancy/a/puppp.htm

My doctor says it usually happens later in pregnancy but not uncommon to happen this early.  Let me know what you think.  I also found this website where you can buy soap products to help with PUPPPs.  I'm thinking of buying some.  

http://www.rainiersoapworks.com/puppp_relief.htm
it may be a bit late, but I hope you are better now.  I have just recently cleared a rash simmilar to that, which was caused by my stretch mark cream irritating my skin as my hormones changed.  However I would keep an eye on where the rash is more irritating as it could be scabies (horrible word I know).  This develops mainly in the sweat areas like armits back of legs between fingers and toes.  This is an awful rash to have but can be cleared quiclky.  Cammomile lotion is great for soothing any kind of itch too.
Sounds like I have the same thing, Im only 4 weeks along and about 2 days after I got the positive preg test I discovered a very itchy rash on my chest, belly, upper back, breasts and inside of my arms. It itches like crazy! Its just little red bumps. I have a doc appoint. next week, but in the mean time Ive been using aveeno oatmeal lotion, helps a little.
I am 9 weeks and just developed itchy small red bumps all over my abdomen.  I think it may be a reaction to palmers cocoa butter so I am discontinuing to see if that helps.  I also read that applying plain yogurt on the affected area may help.  Then my mother advised me to apply olive oil to affected area.  I will try something until it works and will report back.
Oh yes, the doctor is supposed to get back to me too
Doctor says it's ok to use benedryl cream; I have been using that about once a day-it helps relieve the itch at it's worse.  Other than that, I'm using cetaphil lotion rather than the cocoa butter stuff.  Seems to slowly calming down and hopefully going away.  (I tried the yogurt-not helpful.  I did not try the olive oil and don't plan to since I don't like oily feeling on skin.  Is your's any better?
i had the very same thing you guys did with the rash (hives) mine was everywhere though insides of my eye lids back , belly , buttocks , legs , i was covered from head to toe , and i was only 12 weeks along  , i was so itchy. the dr.s told me i was allergic to being pregnant , i dont know if they had that right or not , but that is what they said , i was soooooo thankfull after going to three different states several different meds, and steroids ,none of which worked , most were temporarry  ,, then someone finnally gave me somthing that worked ,, ******Dramamine****** , its just a small little pill safe in pregnancy and its for motion sickness believe it or not ,, but it worked and i was hive and itch free the rest of my pregnancy as long as i took them  hope it helps you all, as well too good luck rachel
I just started last night to notice these red bumps developing on my body. They are on my back,stomach, thighs, breasts, my arms( close to my arm pits) even on my butt well you get the picture. I am having trouble sleeping and i am very uncomfortable. I have not changed anything in my daily life (food, detergent, etc....) I have not officially taken a pregnancy test yet to see if it is related to that. I just stumbled across this forum in my search to understand what is going on with me. I went to the doctor this morning who put me on predisolone and by this afternoon i had to go back to the office for a shot because of my discomfort. I am going to take a test to see if i am truly pregnant and would gladly accept any advice you can further give to help me out through this time.

Stefanie
Try looking up Prurigo of Pregnancy, it's very common in pregnancies - and can occur in any trimester. It isn't harmful to you or baby, but should be treated so you're  not miserable. Here is a brief description of it:

Prurigo of pregnancy consists of very itchy, tiny bumps that can appear almost anywhere on the skin. This condition can appear during any trimester, with a few bumps appearing and increasing in number each day. It usually remains for several months, and may even persist postpartum. Reoccurrence during subsequent pregnancies is variable. Treatment usually includes topical corticosteroids and antihistamines.

I hope this helps.

=]

~Kir~
Did you ever find out what the rash is from?  I am only six weeks pregnant, but last week I started to notice tiny itchy bumps on my hands, arms, legs and chest.  They got progressively worse and this morning I woke up itching my hand to the point of burning.  I am very nervous and hope this doesn't mean anything could be seriously wrong with me or the baby.  I'm going to the doctor Mon. anyway so I'll definitly bring it up.  From what I read here it could be very normal, I guess????  Anyone have any answers for me????
I'm only eight weeks and I am having the same thing! The itching started last night and I thought maybe I was having an allergic reaction to something. I'm itching profusely all over! My legs, my feet my hands, my back, my stomach, my breast. Even under my chin and on my neck! I have an appointment on Monday as well but just wondered since you are having your itching even earlier than me, if your doctor told you what it was from??
I am 5 weeks pregnant. i have a rash that started on my neck in one spot. It is very itchy it spreaded from my chest to pantyline.They are not in clusters they just are more like bites but it is spreading . the doctor told me to take benadryl it comforts me for about 8 to 10 hours. I just wanted to know if this was common. This is my fourth pregnancy and i have never experienced anything like this. thank you
I am barely 4 weeks on my 2nd pregnancy. I developed the same kind of rash 3 days ago. Started on my stomach and chest and now it's spreading all over the legs and hands. Wenat to the doc today and they had no clue what this was. I live in Tanzania and the doctors have not even heard about PUPPS. They thinks I should use some anti-biotics. but I am not sure of using them in this early pregnncy although they say it's safe. I should try to get the creams some of you mentioned here and see what happens. Hopefully like to most of you guys, mine will dissapere within 2 weeks.
Thanks...all your comments were very helpfull.
Rashes during pregnancy can be very serious or completely normal.  But please see your doctor immediately because they can tell if your rash looks like something common or serious.  My OB specializes in high risk pregnancies and is still very concerned about my rash.  Mine started in a band around my belly at 10 weeks.  I first thought it was an allergic reaction to the elastic in my new pants.  After a week, it spread to my chest, back, and arms.  Then later to my neck, cheeks, thighs, and scalp.  My OB said the rash did not look like PUPP and sent me for bloodwork to rule out cholestasis which is VERY serious and will damage your liver.  She then sent me to a dermatologist who now theorizes a very rare pregnancy-related skin condition that increases chances of stillbirth.  The prescription steroids seem to help but are not what I wanted my baby exposed to this early.  However they claim leaving the skin untreated could be worse.  Please do not self-diagnose based on internet photos and forums.  Please see your doctor who knows if you're in the vast majority of people with common benign rashes or the very small minority who need specialists and might need immediate treatment.
If you have gave blood work and a std check up if your pregnant and had a std or some was wrong in your blood work would the doctor have already call its be 21 day I called to get yeast pill and nobody said nothing bad please answer I need to know would they have called by now
Well I have had the rash since day one.  This is my second child.  I had it the first time as well.  Only durring the second tirmester though.  It was on my stomach and backs of knees. This time it is ALL OVER and a boy.  I have been to see everyone.  The dermatologist finally said yes PUPPS, but still doesn't totally fit.  Well, they are all wrong.  It is Pupps and started at day one and is all over and comes in all ways.  I have bumps, hives, red stripes up streach marks, burning, itching, any way and anywhere I have it.  I have been taking antihistamines and steriod creams.  I pray the baby is ok and I can't wait until this is over.  In both cases the dr.'s were all basically unsure.  So, I can't belive that it is very common, because they act as though this is not common.  I wish all of you the best and hope it ends for you soon.
im almost 12wks along ive been suffering with this redhives and bumps on my hands and up my arms thats the only place though it hasent went no were else itchs so bad
am about 9 week pregnant ma niece had chicken pox a few week ago before i new i was pregant. i have all ov a sudden came out in spots but only on my belly back and arms they are really itchy. what could it be? thanks
Hi all! I know this is way later than the original posting, but this was the only site that matched what I was looking for when I googled early pregnancy rash.

I started getting mosquito like bites on my body Wednesday night and there were more by Thursday morning. I checked my bed for bed bugs (ew!) just in case, but couldn't find anything. I've never broken out in hives in my life and I wasn't prone to rashes. After reading your posts, I suspected that maybe I might be pregnant. Sure enough, Friday morning, I got the plus sign and I won't even be four weeks until Sunday or Monday. They aren't so bad because they itch a whole lot when they first form, but other than that they aren't too bad.

Because I couldn't find any specific names for this kind of rash, I hope that I might be able to help someone else who was searching like I was!
I have really itchy arms and chest and I have never been prone to rashes before, I googled it and it brought me here :O
Pregnancy test for me tomorrow I think!
Sarah
On wednesday (jan 19) i noticed a patch of tiny red bumps on the back of my neck and hands. By the time i woke up thursday it was everywhere: under my arms (near armpit), on my sides, on my back, on the back of my hands, and my chest. Its itching like crazy. Ive tried hydrocortizone and it helps for a little while then the itching and redness comes right back. I also woke up with very sore breasts. My last period was jan 4th and it was light. Im expecting my next one around the 31st.....i wasn't really worried about being pregnant until reaching this forum. What do you ladies think? I guess im gonna have to just wait it out and take a pregnancy test
My husband and I have been trying to concieve (conceive) for several months now. I know I ovulated on Jan. 19th. I woke up the day before yesterday with this wierd rash. Does anyone think that this could be pregnancy related? Or is it to early in the pregnancy to get something like this? Im still a week away from time to start my period. So its still really to early to take a pregnancy test. Any thoughts/info would be great! Thanks:)
Hi, I broke out in a very itchy red rash on my arms and lower legs yesterday and had noticed a break out of acne type bumps all over my face over the last few days, which I felt was odd. My DH and I have been going through IVF(ICSI) and my blood test to find out if I could be pregnant is the 27th...It would be my second pregnancy and I had PUPPS in the third trimester of my first pregnacy and after reading others who have broken out in an odd rash as early at 4wks I am hopeful this is a sign I could be pregnant..I hope the rash doesn't stick around long if I am...very annoying.
I'm in the same boat with everyone here. I am 13 weeks this Friday and  2 weeks ago I started using a belly oil by Mama Mio. My sister swears by it.  1 week later (last Wednesday January 26th, i started with little red bumps - hive like, on my stomach and breasts.  Just like all of you it spread to my whole stomach, hips, groin, upper thighs (front/back), butt, back, inside of arms. Some even feel like Chicken skin, where i want to pick them off.  Of course I stopped using the oil, and started with cortizone and benadryl. Saw my general doctor to make sure it wasn't something more serious like Scarlet fever, etc.  Got the OK. Then saw my OB at 12 weeks. She said it was not Pupps and recommended me see a Dermatologist.  Saw one yesterday, who said that it could either be Early Pupps or Papular Urticaria.  She also too 2 biopsy's of the hives to test for other more serious things.  Just like you all, this is so frusterating. I do not want to go through the next 6 months looking like this and more importantly feeling this itchy.  I'm going to ask about Dramamine and maybe that would work.  I was given Vamos, a steroid cream which I've checked twice with my OB and she has approved. I've used it for one day and we'll see if it starts to give me some relief.  
I am 15 weeks and have been suffering with these symptoms for 6 weeks.  A red raised rash which apears in patches and feels like small bumps all over the effected area.  It started off under my arms and then on the tops of my thighs.  My doctor has given me 2 lots of steriod creams and 6 weeks later I have given up on them as all they have done is dried my skin out and made it worse.  I also find that once one patch clears up it simply moves to another area.  I am now suffering ( and I mean suffering, I have never experience anything so itchy in my life) on my bum back side of the thighs, breasts, ankles and elbows.  I have sratched myself silly and now have scabs all over my body.  I am seeing a dermatologist on Thurs but Im worried about the reports that I have heard that this can lead to increased risk of still births.  It does sound like PUPPS to me aswell after reading the symptoms but all the doctors Ive spoken to up to now seem clueless.  I will keep you all posted with progress.  From what I have read here there doesnt to be a story from someone who has gone through how this effected their whole pregnancy.
I have 3 kids at home. At 4-6 weeks postpartum with my 3rd child (now 7 months) I got a nasty red bumpy rash under my armpits, on my forearms, in the folds of my elbows, and random other places. No one new what it was and since I was nursing, I just had to deal with it and use topical cortizone type creams. These did nothing. It eventually disappeared at about 8 weeks postpartum. I attributed it to a hormone change. Suddenly, I now have the same rash again. We weren't planning on more children so I'm hoping it's not another hormone change! However, that was the first thing that came to my mind and now I see that other people are having the same problem in early pregnancy. I am on birth control but we have been on several different meds lately including one that said it would interact. We only had unprotected sex the day I started the meds. Could that really be what this is? I'm about half afraid to go ahead and test. My husband would die!!
Hey everyone,  I had a rash as well that sound like what most of you have and I just wanted to let you all know that there is no cure for this rash. It lasted about 3 weeks and then slowly starts to get better. What I used that helped with the itching was Aveeno skin relief body wash, and I also bought the Aveeno skin relief moisturizing lotion with cooling menthol.  When the itching was really bad I used ice to cool the areas and also opened a window (it was winter). Try to keep your body cool or even cold and take cold but bearable showers often. I also used Cortozone 10 intensive healing formula for when the rash was unbearable.  Hope this can help!
i have the same thing. i am 13 weeks pregnant i have had the rash since i got pregnant...its annoying and it itches sooooo bad that i have made the bumps worse from all the scratching. i got some aveno body wash for itchy skin its like taking an oatmeal bath..it helps but i also recomend some of the aveno itchy skin lotion to use after you get out of the bath/shower. my OB scared me cause they dont know what it is but they are trying to get me into a dermatologist to see if they can do anything to help. i dont care if its gone i just want to not itch as bad....my OB said it looked like the PUPP rash but she said its too early in pregnancy to have that rash but i am one of those people that anything can happen!!! i hope you get your rash under control but aveno is a great product for itchy skin.
This is super strange, but this will be the second time I posted on this thread. As I was reading, I recognized my own post without remembering that I posted. Glad to have found it, but sad that there isn't more info on the internet about this!

I originally posted as June1211 above because I started breaking out in a rash in Sept. '10. As you may have read in my post above, I broke out in a rash on Wednesday and tested...BFN. Tested two days later and I got a + pregnancy test. Unfortunately for me, I miscarried that baby a week and a half later.

Fast forward 8 or so months...since my miscarriage I had 6 unsuccessful cycles and come to find I had two large polyps in my uterus. They were surgically removed last cycle. This is our first cycle trying again. Lo and behold, yesterday I started breaking out in itchy red bumps on my trunk. They are mostly on my butt and low on my tummy (below my waistline) but some are on my back. They are spreading and there are more and more every couple hours. I tested yesterday and this morning, both negative. I'm hoping though that this is a good sign and that I am truly pregnant!

I'm wondering though, if it is all real and not in my head, could the rash have caused the m/c in the fall? I'm embarrassed to say that I googled "can you be allergic to pregnancy?" and the general consensus is no. Have any of you, that have had this early rash, gone on to have successful pregnancies?
I am 8 weeks and 4 days pregnant.I've had my rash for almost a week so today I went to the hospital thinking something was wrong. After waiting two hours to see a doctor he finally comes in, asks to see it and says he don't know what type of dermatitis it is but he'll  prescribe me some ointment to help ease the itching!!! (BIG HELP!! NOT) I just did some research on it and it seems like I have PUPPP but it's only on my lower back and spreading to my sides. I wish everyone the best of luck and hope they find quick relief!!
I've had the rash for two weeks. Based on a number of articles I've found, I think it's AEP. Atopic Eruptions of Pregnancy. My OB "never heard of it," and wouldn't read any articles about it. Referee me to a Dermotologist, who can't see me for a month. There are a good number of articles and pictures online to see what AEP looks like. Mine fits the descriptions perfectly. Hope the Dermotologist has heard of it....  Hope it doesn't last the next 30 weeks. I'm so itchy.
I have developed some rashes while pregnant but here mine were related to an odd food allergy that I have acquired to shrimp.  And I even notice I am breaking out in a rash on legs if I get too hot and I am out in the sun.  I start to get splotches.  Cortizone Cream helped me out a lot and so did Benadryl.  Keep us posted on what the dermatologist says.
I have similar rashes on one of the pic. posted, and my period should arrive last friday, and its 3 days late. Had the pregancy preditor test but negative yesterday, rash still comes and goes with large patches on legs.
Had made GP appt for this afternoon and hopefully they will do a blood test to see if im preg. as i am so annoyed with this rash for about a week now...

anxious lady
Keep us posted and let us know what you find out indeed :)
its me again, having seen the GP, he told me it was somd food allergy but I still didn't believe it as my period didn't come, its the day 30th. Its now 5 days late. About the rash, it seems to be calm and disappear this morning, I will wait til the weekend and do the pregnancy test again, fingers crossed !  
Definitely will think of you this weekend, let us know the results!

During this pregnancy I developed a food allergy to shrimp, which I am certainly surprised by.  So it is interesting what occurs when we are pregnant.  Good luck and can't wait for you to find out :D
Hi girls. I think I have the same problem with rash. It started as soon as I got pregnant. I am 5w1d now and I have this rash for 2,5 weeks. Seen my JP 2 times now and he says that its my body reaction on pregnancy. Last night I just couldn't sleep and went to A&E, spent there 2 hours and doctor wasn't sure about my rash. He says it might be allergy and gave me tablets chlorphenamine! He sad that if it's allergy it will go and if it's not than that's mean it's not an allergy. Very clever!!! So I don't want to take this tablets and don't know what to do.
I found out that I was allergic to shrimp during my pregnancy.  The only thing I took was children's liquid benadryl at night to help.  I was afraid to take anything but had to get rid of the welts on my legs.
did you take a test? was a +or - ?
im very ichy too ive been ichy on my boobs,back,thighs and my butt but i only have rashes in my butt and my right thigh. i think ima have to take a test some time this week :/
oh my god! SO MANY cases of pregnancy rushes and not any doctor in the world knows what this is!!!!!

and yes, same problem with me. 5-6 weeks pregnant and have a rash on my stomach and chest, like mosqito bites. but  almost does not itch. it's a third day and i'm terribly concerned.

went to two different dermatologists and none of them have an idea!!! what is wrong with them???? going to see a third doctor today.

I only worry about the health of my baby.. nothing else.  if anyone who already experienced this and has a healthy children - please post. it will be a huge reveal!!!!!!
I went to ER last weekend because I have this rash that is driving me crazy. Mostly around my breast area and stomach. My legs and butt will have itch spells also. So miserable!!!  However, while in the ER I found out I was pregnant...what a surprise! We had been trying, but I gave up last month due to the fact we tried for over a year and I am 40. I was so shocked! Anyway, the DR thinks its a viral infection and it has to run its course. I've had it for almost a week now and its driving me crazy. I wake up in the middle of the night and my husband has to put lotion on me. I've been reading about this PUPPs syndrome but i'm only 3 weeks pregnant...could it be that?  I'm just wondering if my hormones are just changing due to the pregnacy...IDK.
I have a rash only on the top of my hands, Im 12 weeks pregnant. It doesn't itch (yet). It looks like hives but is NOT risen...any ideas???
Hi everyone i just wanted to inform you guys that you CAN have PUPPP in first (rare) and second (also rare) trimester as well as prurigo of pregnancy to explain your rashes.  a skin biopsy by derm is a really easy procedure that can help in the diagnosis and can help in ruling out more serious rashes like pemphigoid gestationis that can affect the fetus.  although PUPPP and prurigo/AEP (atopic eruptions of pregnancy) do NOT cause any fetal harm, they are extremely debilitating!!  

I was 14 weeks when i started same rash all over upper thighs/trunks/arms that has continued to spread distally into legs and now is mostly localized to my hands and feet.  it causes severe itching including spontaneous formations of water filled vesicles on my hands and feet that have led to scarring from itching.  i am now 18 weeks and still suffering although i did do a prednisone taper (40mg starting dose for first 5 days) that made a huge difference to the rash on my body but not on my hands/feet.  

THe things that do help are the prednisone taper,  daily zyrtec in the morn and benadryl at night for itching, grandpa pine soap, wearing no deodorants, wearing cotton clothing and lathering on a ton of extra strength gold bond cream with cooling sensation at least 3-5x/day along with aveeno then covering the layer of lotions with vaseline! clobetasol as extra strength steroid cream helps a bit but not as much as i'd hope with my hands and feet despite my wearing cotton gloves (walgreens) over it to create occlusive dressing and recently using bandaids to occlude the clobetasol ointment on the tough calloused parts of my fingers/hands.  dandelion root capsules have not helped but still taking 2/day just in case it may be helping a bit.  the itching is definitely worse at night or in the morning and i wake up at least 1x/night with itching.  cold wash cloths help, aveeno baths daily at bedtiem help, itch sprays with hydrocortisone are ok, menthol roll on icy products are OK but not as good as xtra strength gold bond cream with cooling.  also ice packs are extremely helpful too to help reduce itching.  not sure how long this will last hoping not till delivery but in a way it is like an allergy to your baby and im having a girl (not a boy like most with these rashes).  hope this review of what helped me helps you.  i haven't conquered this rash yet because i still see light patches of puppp/prurigo on my legs and i still itch frequently but i keep my eye on the prize: Delivery and a baby girl Godwilling in a few months.
can any one help me Ive got this rash i noticed it weeks before i found out i was pregnant I'm about 17 weeks now and its so itchy it started with round/ oval red/skin color rings dry and flaky that feels like pumps on it the effected areas are my breast, back, belly, legs, arms, bottom, and slowly spreeding everywhere else Ive been treated so many times for different things even scabies i feel things crawling all over my body its so awful :( sometimes i get a burn sensation but it comes and goes this is my second pregnancy and Ive never felt or seen anything like this before i have a two year old son and the pregnancy was great im im almost 19 years of age i just hope my baby is going to be fine ;(