Maternal & Child Community
Pregnancy with stage 1 precancerous cells

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Someone please help me.  I am six weeks pregnant and found out that I have precancerous cells on my cervix.  The doctor told me they are stage 1.  I keep reading all these articles that say I may have to abort and have my cervix treated.  I have had abnormal papsmears for the last 7 years; I am so worried I will lose my child or if I just keep with my pregnancy am I going to develop cancer?
Hi. I'm no expert but, I had abnormal paps all throughout my pregnancy.  They did what is called a colposcopy which is basically using a larger spectrum to get a better view of my cervix.  They sprayed a vinigar solution on your cervix and use a special microscope to view just how bad that abnormal area is.  Maybe you've already had this done.  I had it done at 16 weeks.  Pregnancy, weakends your immune system.  So it will get worse, before it get's better.  Your body is busy protecting your baby and therefore, leaves you less able to fight off infections and sickness. Which is also another reason why they wait for after your pregnant to check you out again.
They wont touch you after that.  Meaning, any good doctor wont risk a biopsy while your pregnant.
I'm not sure what stage 1 means but, in my case, I had a pretty bad case of precancerous cells.  She told me that there was nothing i could do until the baby was born.  After my dauther was born and I had healed, they did a biopsy and found that they needed to do a LEEP procedure. Which is basically remove the abnormal pieces of your cervix.
I just want you to know that, you will be ok. It's scary as all hell but you will be ok.  Just being pregnant is scary enough, let alone having to worry about abnormal cells.  
Here's my advice.  Take a deep breath and relax.  Seriously, you cannot make yourself sick over this.  You have a baby to protect.  Next, have a LONG conversation with your DR and ask everything and anything you need to, in order to put your mind at ease.  Ask her what the plan is and how it will affect your pregnany.  STOP googling pre-cancerous cells.  I did and it made me literally scared to death.  I would be home crying, while taking care of my baby, thinking that I wouldnt get to see her grow up.  Dont do it to yourself.  You will be ok.  I am ok.  After I had the leep procedure done, I have to go back every 6 months for paps.  So far, they are normal.

Remember, you are in charge of your body. Nobody can make you do anything you dont want to. And I highly doubt any Dr would tell you to abort your baby unless it's a life or death type situation, which it's not.  You can send me a private note if you have any more questions. I really feel for you since, I went through it.  It was very scary but you will be ok.  Also, you need to remember that "pre-cancerous" doesnt mean cancer.  You dont have cancer. If you dont take care of yourself, a few years down the line, maybe. But you are ok now and you are going to take care of yourself.  I wish you all the luck in the world. You will be ok.
I can't add a thing to newbie's post.  
Good luck to you!