Maternal & Child Community
Pregnant, unable to remove IUD!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pregnant, unable to remove IUD!

I am currently 7 weeks pregnant. I  went to the women's clinic as soon as i found out to see if they would be able to remove the IUD, i personally could not find the stings....as the same for the Doctor. I was told some women can go full term with the IUD (mine is non-hormonal copper T). I am most likely making myself nervous, i am not having any complicated signs. I went to see a family doctor, and they seemed to know just as much as i do about this type of pregnancy. She said i WASN'T considered high risk? Then i get a call two days later and was told a OB was going to be calling me, because the Doctor i saw is recommending me to see a specialist, and to see if removing it was possible at this time. But its been a week and no one has called, even though i've contacted my doctor several times about it. I am kinda lost at what to be expecting. This is my first pregnancy and i wish i had some more answers. So finally my question to you is has anyone given birth with an iud, any losses? Was it different than a normal pregnancy, and yes how? Any support on how to go about the seriousness of this type of pregnancy is welcomed. Thank you
I think the concern is that the IUD could rupture the amniotic sac prematurely.  We had a poster on this site once who dealt with an IUD that could not be removed, and a pregnancy, and there was a very strong risk of loss of the pregnancy.  She didn't keep posting to let us know the outcome, but it was a very serious situation.

A nurse friend of mine got pregnant with her IUD in, and had it removed early in the pregnancy (without hurting the pregnancy).  So it can be done.  Definitely you would need to go to a specialist.  Your doctor was right to refer you, and you should keep at them to have the person call you, or just to get an appointment set up.
I went to happy hour last week with a friend who is an OB nurse and she told us a couple stories of women delivering full term babies and an IUD at the same time.  

The way she was telling it, it was considered kind of funny - the irony of pushing out a baby and an IUD that was supposed to prevent the pregnancy - but it does sound like a good idea to go to a specialist and get advice.

Best wishes.
I think the concern is a tubal pregnancy for people with IUD'S. That would be my first and foremost concern, make sure the pregnancy is in the uterus.

Thank you for your comments, I had also read a couple of stories on here too, one had even said that the baby came out with the IUD in hand!! That kinda scared me though...and hopefully it was just a joke, or just a sill rumor. As soon as i found out i was pregnant I had set up an Ultrasound to check whether the IUD was still present and to see if the pregnancy was in the Uterus....In my case both were true. They read me to be 5 weeks at that time and the doctor had told me that the IUD would come out after the baby...since it was near my fallopian tubes...which still made me feel nervous. I am also worried about the rupturing of the amniotic sac. I will keep you posted on how things go at the next appointment. Thanks again.
If the IUD is that high, it might be more difficult for it to be removed, but the sooner the better if it is going to be tried, so the sac can be avoided.  Definitely I hope the specialist will be able to give you better information.  Good luck.