Pregnant and Constipated
I need some advice. I am 32 weeks and 1 day pregnant. I am very constipated, sorry if this is TMI. What can I take? The Dr gave me a list that only had Metamucil on it but I remember there was something else you could take. Dulcolax or something like that. Please let me know. I drink the right amount of water and have raisen bran cereal every morning and it is no doing nothing. As soon as I get information, I am running to the store. Help!!!!
I was told to use Benefiber with my last pregnancy when I was constipated. It works pretty well but might take a couple daysto work. I think she told me if you use it 2x a day it works really fast. I used the powder kind that you can put into any drink and it is colorless and tasteless.
My can also eat Kashi cereal.
Where can you get Benefiber? I have never heard of it. I will try the Kashi cereal and see if that helps me. Thank you both for replying.
I got Benefiber at Target. I am sure they would have it at walmart too. It is in a green bottle.
A dr told one of my friends that taking a tablespoon of olive oil every morning and every night can help with constipation.

Take Care
Eat whole grains, berries, lentils, (Okra is great too) drink tons of water---cut back on white breads, etc.  I am going into my 30th week and have had no constipation yet  --hubby thinks I overdo it with the fiber in my diet, but I really don't want to be constipated with nasty hemmeroids.

Good luck
my extreme constipation started at 6 weeks and my doctor approved my taking ducosate, a stool softener, thank goodness for it, I was actually afraid all the straining to have a bm may somehow cause a miscarriage!  It didnt and now I am having bm's like the good old days (smile) taking 2 ducosate tablets a day.
Good luck to you!
When I was in the hospital on magnesiun to stop preterm labor my last preg. they gave me Colace everyday because the mag. backs you up. I've taken it a couple of times during this pregnancy too. I drink decaf coffee every morning too. It doesn't work as well as the real stuff but I think it helps. Weight Watchers cereals have a lot of fiber too.
I swear by the Benefiber, and like it especially because it's got no flavor or graininess.  Also, eat a lot of fruit.  This time of year, frozen green grapes are the best, they taste like popsicles!  Cherries are another one that does it for me, ordinarily I have to watch and not eat too many or they give me the runs.  Good luck!
I will try these others. I am so desperate. I didn't have any problems until 31 weeks. Now I am in a little pain. I am taking metamucil but nothing is happening. I appreciate all the advice and will try what you all have recommended. Thank you.
I have been through every single remedy there is! I am only 10 weeks and have been constipated for the past 3..at least. I have tried greens, more water (if I drink anymore, I swear I am going to float away).

After talking with my mom who has been a nurse for 27 years, she suggested (this sounds gross I know but it works I promise!) WARM PRUNE JUICE WITH A MEDICINE CUP FULL OF MILK OF MAGNESIA in it. When I get so desperate I cant see straight I use this. It works like a charm. I felt like a new woman!! BTW, I threw some sugar in just for my own taste.

Now there is also COLACE that you can take. This works too. You are supossed to take it everyday. Doc recommended this. She said the prune juice and Milk of Magnesia are great too! Hope this helps
I never really believed that prune juice would work until I had to try it myself over the weekend.  It worked within 1-2 hours.  The only draw back is it has a lot of carbs which make you feel fuller than you already are, but I highly recommend it.