Maternal & Child Community
Pregnant and morphine?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pregnant and morphine?

I am about 7 weeks pregnant and was recently in the hospital when I had a huge gallbladder attack. They gave me morphine for the pain (mixed with Gravol). They assured me that it was a safe drug. I had it for about 24 hours. Has anyone ever been given morphine when early pregnant? Is it truly safe? I am really concerned. I was in such pain at the time that I was willing to take anything to stop thrashing around but I would feel tremendous guilt if it did something to the developing baby.
Related Discussions
8 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
134578_tn?1404951303
Sorry, don't know anything about Gravol, but if a doctor knows you are pregnant, he or she balances the need for a drug with the effect on the pregnancy, tipping the scales conservatively (in other words, giving the needs of the pregnancy top precedence).  I would trust the docs in your situation.  
Blank
883151_tn?1245518109
I never heard of that drug particularily but have been on morphine while pregnant. I have complications that cause horrible pain and was given demoral a few times during my last pregnancy and once with this one for a horrible migraine that would not go away and as far as I know morphine is perfectly safe while pregnant but of course not when it's given all the time.
Blank
172023_tn?1334675884
There are very few drugs that truly are devasting to a developing fetus, and if a woman is of childbearing years, they are sure to rule out pregnancy before using them.  

You were not on them long, and you clearly needed them.  
Blank
Thanks everyone...I really did need the pain meds, but later on felt guilty for taking anything that could harm the baby, especially since I am so early on in the pregnancy. Hopefully I won't have another attack and I won't need morphine again!
Blank
583196_tn?1341160404
hi,
i had kidney issues while pregnant and had to go to the hospital twice. the first time they gave me morphine an it worked alright for the pain. but then the second time it didn't help and they gave me fentynol which really didn't help. but both of these drugs are pregnancy safe. my sister is a nurse and she even reassured me that everything will be okay. and my little man is as healthy as a horse! he's doing great no problems at all. hopefully you dont have any more pains but if you do and you need the relief dont be afraid to accept it. remember, if you're not comfy baby isn't comfy either. you could stress out and reduce blood flow to the baby which could cause problems to his development too. baby wants you to take care of yourself so you can take care of baby. good luck and i hope you enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.
Blank
Thank you...your message was really reassuring. It's always so scary taking anything, even when they say it is ok to do. You're right too about not wanting to stress out the baby and cause problems that way too.
Blank
599170_tn?1300977493
I was put on morphine when I had preterm labor at 8 months they did not think they could stop it ( they did magsulfate treatments) anyways they wanted to stop my pain and give me one good night sleep so I could deliver the next day did not happen that way but baby ( now 15 is very healthy)
Blank
599170_tn?1300977493
one drug to never ever take is tetracycline an antibiotic well know for skull malformations in fetus.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank