Maternal & Child Community
Pregnant w/ leg burning and numbness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pregnant w/ leg burning and numbness

To whom It May Concern,
I am 18wks pregnant and have a constant numbing in my left outer thigh, which is now accompained by a burning sensation as well.Onset as of 8weeks of pregnancy. It was most uncomfortable if I were to stand for more than 15- 20 minutes. Now it is also bothersome if I'm idle.Lying on my left side which is ideal during pregnancy is painful. The best way to describe the sensation is that of when an IV is placed and it either kinks or has some air in it. That burning, itching,painful heat that is cool to the touch.Elevating my feet does not help. Nor does sitting or lying down.Any Information would be helpful.Thank You.
I would definitely ask you dr about this as it just does not sound right.  It could be a developing clot that occurs more often in pregnant woman.  
I had that with my last pregnancy.  It went away by the next day after I delivered.  I think it was a pinched nerve.  I agree, tell your Dr. because it could be something more.  I told mine and had her look at it.  Mine started around 6 months though, but lasted the rest of my pregnancy.  It did hurt, and I was on my feet all day, didn't help.  Hope your little one cooperates better than mine did.
Hi!  I have the same problem.  My leg burns all day.  I am 21w4d and work on a shipping dock and I stand 9 hours a day on concrete.  My leg hurts so much that I sit - stand and nothing helps.  It's so bad that  I cann't get a good nights rest.  You would think that my blood thinner shots every night would help but nothing helps.  Any suggestions on any kinda relief would be great.  My baby loves laying on my right side where it hurts.  I hope everyone finds relief.  Take care.
I have the same problem as well, exactly as described. It started with the numbness and has progressed to a burning sensation. I let my ob/gyn know, and she referred me to my primary doctor to get some testing done just in case it is not pregnancy-related. I highly doubt it. I am 21 weeks now, and it started around week 17. My doctor also suggested tylenol with codeine, but she said that probably won't provide relief.
It is a common complaint in pregnancy.  Could be the enlarging uterus laying on a nerve and causing pain.  

I hope it gets better.
I also have the same issue and it seems as though it is getting worse as I come close to my delivery date. Mine started out as a little numbness in the upper right thigh and then it gradually turned into numbness with burning sensation which can get quite uncomfortable. Sometimes elevating my legs would help but that is very rear.
Hi there, I have been suffering from numbness in my outer thighs when I stand or lay or sit. I mentioned this to my midwife who didn't express concern. However I woke very abrubtly last night due to what I can describe as a very painful pulling/burning sensation in my left outer thigh which has to be the most painful thing I've experienced in a long time. I was getting an ache there before but last night scared me at the severity of the pain and I worry about moving in bed. I am going to ring the midwife today to see if this is right because it sure didn't feel it.
Im about 5 wks pregnant and I started getting burning sensations in my left knee a couple of days ago the burning sensation has spread to my bum,thigh,lower leg and toes and its very sensitive to touch is there any possible explanation 4 this? Jade Jennings