Maternal & Child Community
Pregnant with I.U.D. and period??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pregnant with I.U.D. and period??

I have been scouring the internet for answers and decided to register here and post.  I have two boys, ages 10 and 4, and have been feeling what seems to be fetal movements in my belly for the past 2-3 weeks.  The strange thing is, I have been having my periods regularly (heavy flow) AND I currently have an I.U.D. that's been in place for over 3 years now.  I started with light quickening/fluttering movements and has now progressed to twitching/nudging in my belly.  I took a PT and it was neg.  HOWEVER I have had experiences with false neg. tests before.  I have tried to ignore it, but it keeps happening.  Can't get a dr. appt. until mid-July so was hoping to hear from others who have heard of getting preg. with an IUD and still having periods.....does having an IUD mask preg. symptoms and HCG levels?  I have only felt these types of movements when preg. with my 2 previous.  Only other preg. sympts. are frequent urination and slightly swollen belly (I was sick as a dog w/ first two).

Thank you in advance for your time!

Well I havent had an IUD and anything is possible. My dh had a vasectomy and Now I have a 8 month old!
You could re test again..wait take an early morning urine but other than that its a waiting game since you have already booked a doctor's appointment. He could do blood work to confirm it and a u/s If your feeling movement in your stomach that would mean you have to be any where from 16 weeks or more???
I am just curious...a friend of mine has an IUD and doesn't get a period at all...are you supposed to get one with it?
Having a pregnancy with an IUD in place doesn't affect HCG levels.  It is very unusual (but nothing is impossible) that HCG wouldn't be detected in your urine if you are advanced enough in pregnancy to feel movements.

I did get pregnant with an IUD, and didn't know it because I bled all the time.  When I started getting nauseated and tired of the bleeding, went to the doctor and he did a pregnancy test which was positive.  I was probably about 4 months pregnant.

So a test, properly done, should show HCG in your urine.  But seeing your doctor is wise.  He can do a blood preg. test and settle the isssue.
I honestly don't think you are PG. If you are already feeling movement, that means you are at least 3 months along, and any test would pick up the HCG levels if you are that far along.
I haven't had a period yet and I am 13 months post pardum with Tristan. I am in the process of weaning, but he has been on solids for 6 months. I called my OB and she said it is normal to not bleed with an IUD, much like depo, some women bleed all the time and some don't at all.

Andrea
Hi I'm new to all of this.  My best friend had an I.U.D. in and had periods and had no reason to think she was pregnant.  She was six months pregnant and had her I.U.D. removed to change I guess when her belly swelled up and the doc said it was normal but did a test to be sure and sure enough she found out she was SIX MONTHS pregnant!  Sound unbelievable but it was true!
ive had similiar problems, i've had my iud (paraguard) in for three yrs. & had my period too..but recently i've been very nauseated, i've even vomitted a few times throughout the day with some cramping & like i said i still have my period only its slightly irregular (not as heavy & its red & brown the whole time) so like you i am confused yet concerned.....
my mom had an iud in here and she had reg periods one night she wakes up and go to the e.r with my dad way before i was born only my older sis was born and she was in so much pain in her belly so when she got there they didnt understand why she was in so much pain so they did the ultrasound and she was 6 months preggo and the pain she had was an infection which cause the uterus to contract she had to deliver the baby it was a boy he died in like 15 mins that was her only boy she has me n my two sisters. very weird
where u live go to the e.r if u have a womens hospital in ur area
o i forgot to add my moms iud  was placed in wrong thats why she had the infection
I also have an iud (paraguard) I have had it since october but lately I have been feeling movement in my belly but the weird thing is i am still haveing my period regularly I am very confused and i dont know what to do.  I do not want to believe i am pregnant but i honestly feel like i may be.
I am having the same symptoms....have IUD w/ regular periods, am feeling the same movement type feelings I had when I was pregnant with my daughter.  I am just curious if those of you that posted comments like this one have actually been to the doc and what did s/he say.
wow good to know their are other women with the same symptoms i have had an IUD in for almost three yrs now and still have regular periods but i ve been feeling movements too i was starting to think i was crazy. i did a pg test a few months ago and it was negative maybe ill do another one
I am having the same issue, which is why I am on here at 1:20am when I should be asleep.  The flutters started I'd say about a week ago.  In fact, there it just went again.  I am freaking out because I have been smoking the last three months, not taking any vitamins, etc. I haven't taken a test yet, but will do so in the morning.  At first I thought it may just be gas, but I haven't felt anything like this except when I was pregnant with my sons (now 8 and 5). I am sooo not ready to have another baby. :(
i too am having the same problems.. I've had an IUD for almost 2 years now.. I've been feeling movement in my stomach for about a month now.. i stay nauseous but i do still have very regular periods nothing has changed there.. on time every time.. took a home test it said negative.. I'm freaking out i DO NOT want nor need another child.. i have 2 kids a 6 yr. old and a almost 2yr.old .. I'm scared to death!!!!!  seeking answers but afraid to go to the doctor :(
Wow...after reading this i dont feel quite as crazy. I got my IUD (paragard) in April of this year, and the past couple of months I haven felt like myself. I have never had any children so I have no idea what it feels like to be pregnant. All i know is i have been gaining weight like crazy, ill get nauseous all during the day and then ill be hungry right after, super tired all the time (even if i sleep for 10 or 11 hours), moody, and ive gained wait in my belly (which i never have before, its always been in my hips and butt). The problem is I have had a consistent period every month and i have taken 2 PT and both were negative. I even went to a naturopathic doctor and she put me on a power weight loss and i didnt even lose a pound. Please help! Im really worried cause my husband and I dont have the money for me to waste at the doctor if im not really prego but i also dont want to hurt the baby. I am a casual drinker, i drink caffeine, and im not taking any vitamins.
Thankful for any help!
I have been feeling the EXACT SAME THINGS. And have all ur symtoms (symptoms). I too have an iud (paraguard) have been having heavy bleeding (Last month it was the whole month) and ive been really tired. I feel movements in my stomach too and have gain 7 lbs in 3 months! (Before that i didnt gain or loose for 3 years.) I already have 4 little boys and know the feeling of being pregnant. I am so scared i might be pregnant! And the at home preg. Test said negative. I guess i better get to the doctors. Good luck to u!
I have an iud for close too two yrs now yet last I knew jan4th it was stil good in place n wat not but since then been super gassy for lack of better word cravings pains up in upper rib cage tiredness no mood swings but calmer than normal in situations I may normally get irratated in...... also think breast may be inlarging slightly not much have had a priod since the ultrasound n ovultion as had priod at time of ultrasound yet this one was way llighter simply just spotting for 7 days...... now notice pain in upper outer breast near armpit...... could it be poss im prego me n man are overly active wen hes in town which in last month is more so
ive had iud for close to two yrs now I had a ultrasound for ovarian cyst in early jan n noted iud was still in place n cyst was no longer there the issue that now arrises is.....am I prego heres y im asking..... in last few weeks ive been gaining wait but I dont eat much at all to be gaining weight ive gained ive been.having pain in ovary area pain upper right side near ribs feeling tired way faster than normal moodswings not so much other than calmer in situations id normaly get irritated in cravings my breast seem to.have poss gotten a lil bit bigger not much also random nausia gassy n now pains in both sides upper breast near armpits....... also last priod was just spotting not normal but for 7 days.....bf n I are overly active and more so in last month as more intown work.....also ive noticed im more hypersesitive down in that area.......could there be a poss of pregnancy?
sry didny mean to post twice didnt think first time worked
Hey ladies!I have the same problem also.I had my period a week ago an now a feeling pregnancy symptoms like
On and off headache
Really painfull backaches
Mild heartburn
Tired most of the time but not extremely
Cramping on both sides of my abdomen
Pls help me never felt thse symptoms am freaking out!!
Ladies can any of you tell me if she was really pregnant? Did any of you had a baby? I have regular periods, one positive and one negative test, but l am feeling so pregnant, my stomach is growing, feeling so sick and my breast are so tender. Someone please help me because l do not have an insurance and cannot afford to go to see the doctor. Please help.
hi did u ever find out if you were pregnant? I am 23 i have two kids a 3 yr old n a 1 yr old i had an iud put in after my second child for the last 11 months i have had my period every month however in the last 3-5 day i've been feeling movements so much so that if i am lying down it is is clearly viable i have gained maybe 5 lbs in the last few months. For my first two kids i use to be nauseous all the time i'm really worried my husband thinks i'm thinking over it too much, after reading these post i'm not so sure.
I was having the same problem. I have had para guard for 5 years and got my period every month for 4 days max. This month my period lasted for 2 weeks. It was not heavy or light, just regular. I saw my gyn and was told I was pregnant. She said I was only about 3 weeks pregnant. She thinks I could be having a miscarriage. She did blood work to my hcg levels and is going to repeat the test again in 2 days to see I'd the levels are rising or decreasing. I did have my iud removed at the visit. I will find out in a couple of days if I mescarried. I hope this was helpful. Yami