Maternal & Child Community
Premature babies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Premature babies

Hi There, I just had my baby girl at 34 weeks and 6 days back in August.  I just wondered if anyone else on here has had an early bird......  Also, if you had one baby early, did you go on to have another baby and was that baby born premature??  Or did you carry to term?

Also, Dr. suggested using progesterone throughout the next pregnancy as this has been shown to reduce the chances of preterm labor.  Any thoughts on this??

Thanks!
I have 4 children and my last one was born at exactly 35 weeks and thank god with no complications and she weighed 5lb 8oz, I am now 15 weeks pregnant and have been advised by my midwife that I will need a scan to see if my cervix is becoming incompetent,  I am in the same postition as you wandering if anyone has had a preemie and gone on to have baby at full term,  I have not been told anything bout progesterone though.
Mine was born one day before 37 wks (although she measured a week small throughout my pregnancy) and she only weighed 4 pounds 14 ounces.  She never had to go to the NICU and never left our sight.  Doctors said she would be a little behind.  Not my little girl.  She's still a peanut-14 pounds and is a very active 8 month old now.  She has surpassed all her milestones.  She's already cruising around furniture and standing on her own!

The chance of another preemie are slim (from what I read on the internet)
The use of progesterone all during the pregnancy is relatively new, and studies have indicated it might be helpful to prolong pregnancies.

But it isn't known for sure, and there are no good long term studies yet on the possible side effects on the fetus.  

I've seen a few ladies on it during pregnancy, though.  Its given by a weekly shot.  
My son was born at exactly 34+6 also!  Perty was 34+6 too. He weighed 5 lb 7 oz. How much did your daughter weigh? I think you told me once but I can't remember. It was a one time deal for me though because my waters broke due to him having an undectected intestinal blockage so in my case I wouldn't be concerned about going early again.

Sorry, don't know anything about the progesterone questions. I just noticed the 34+6 and had to comment.
My first dd was born at 35 weeks exactly.  For my second, they started me on progesterone at 16 weeks.  I continued these through 36 weeks.  I also had my cervical length checked every other week from 26 weeks on.  She was born one week and three days after my last progesterone shot.  Could be a coincidence or it could have been because it was out of my system - no way to tell.  But she was considered full term at 37 weeks and I was scheduled for my c-section at 38 weeks.

My water broke with both...
DD#1 was born at 34 weeks due to HELLP syndrome. She weighed 5lbs, 7oz and was absolutely perfect.  She was a little behind holding her head up, etc but she caught up quite quickly.  DD#2 was induced at 39 weeks  (No problems!) So far, I am 33 wks 1d and doing great!
Well technically my first wasn't a preemie.  She was born at 40 weeks but she was small due to IUGR born at 4 lbs 15 oz.  She spent 4 days in NICU, the only problem she had was severe GERD but outgrew it at 10 months.  She hit most of her milestones early, the rest were right on target.  She is now an exceptionally bright, healthy 11 yo.  She stayed rather small for several years but is now catching up...She's on the lower end of average for height but still within normal.  I've had 3 since her and all were full term.  
Hi everyone, thanks SO MUCh for the responses.  My little girl was 6 lbs, 15.5 ounces....so only a 1/2 an ounce from being 7 lbs!  So, she was HUGE for being 5 weeks early.  :)  I don't want another preemie because Rachel had to be on oxygen for 6 weeks!  Her oxygen saturations would dip into the lower 90's upper 80's when sleeping....which wasn't terrible, but the docs said she needed extra oxygen to help her grow well.

Anyway.....it's encouraging that this doesn't doom me to have preemies..... I'm just scared that next time I'll have one at 24 weeks or something!!  Which would be SCARY!!!  

Mooboo---I wonder if they'll check my cervix too!!  My cervix dialated over a period of two weeks....it was a 5 cm when my water broke and I had her.

Filbert---Thank you so much for your story!!!!  I'm very encouraged now.....I sent you a message, please respond!

Thanks ladies!
that was a big baby!  my first i was on bedrest and he was born 3 weeks early.  this little girl was a petite 5-2 at  34w6d.  my dr says that there are new things that can be done but seeing as she is only 7 weeks i didnt discuss that further lol.  
Perty you aren't ready for another one already? You're kidding! lol
Oh, thank you so much for asking this question.  I had DD at 37 weeks and she was tiny (only 5.7 lbs).  I'm now scared to no extent that this baby will be even EARLIER!!  I'm only 28 weeks with baby #2 and feeling lots of discomfort.  I don't mind going at least another 10 weeks feeling like c**p as long as he's full term (at least 38 weeks).  Thank you, ladies, for mentioning cervical length.  I'll mention it to my ob/gyn when I see him on Wednesday.  
ruby i do think about it all the time haha.  dh is leaving in a few weeks for 4 months again (boohoo) so ill be more busy than i want to be.  not sure if i will have anymore, i can see my future expensive with girl things!!
My daugter was born at 36 weeks but was measuring at a 32 weeker.  She was 3 lbs 14 oz.  I think it really depends on what made your baby be premature.  Mine was done via c-section because I had a lot of problems including preclampsia, HELLP, and marginal insertion of the cord into the placenta.  My daughter was in the NICU for 10 days because they didnt want to release her until she was 4 lbs...she never had any oxygen or anything.  So even if you do have another preemie s/he might not need any help.
Glad your little girl is okay.....that's true, even if the next one comes early, he/she may not need oxygen or anything.  Thanks!
Ok, so why was my baby sooooooooo tiny????  They never sent my placenta in to be examined and never ran any tests on her!  After reading everyone's preemies they were all bigger!  since her birth I have seen 4 different doctors because I have not liked any pediatrician!  Noone can explain why she was only 4lbs 14 oz at 37 weeks!  The pedi that we have now says they should have sent my placenta in!  

She's healthy and active so I'm not too worried I guess.  I just know now for the next baby I need to ask MORE questions!  My DD was the talk of the post pardum floor. Nurses would come in just to see her because she was so small. I guess babies that size are usually in the NICU!   The only thing was she was a little jaundice-never needed the lights...
She probably wasn't in the NICU because she was 37 weeks and was completely developed, just small.  My daughter was in the NICU because they thought she was going to be a lot worse off than she was.  Needed to be monitored.  almost 5 lbs isn't that bad...I have had a few friends go full term and have babies just over 5.  
I know she didnt need to go to the NICU cuz she was fine-the post pardum nurses never get to see babies that small so I think thats why they kept BUGGING me!  But my question has always been why was she so small for being born at nearly 37 weeks?  My friend had something wrong with her cord feeding the baby the proper nutrients...I have yet to come across another baby born at 37+ weeks weighing less than 5 pounds taht didnt have some reason for it (she was 4.5 pounds when we left the hospital)  My friend who had her placenta sent in found out what was wrong...Hopefully next time I will just ask more questions...My baby also didnt gain much weight the first month cuz of really bad reflux-she was still under 5 pounds at one month old!  
ALSO, I had a million U/S from all my problems (water leaks, placenta previa etc) and they never said she was measuring small...it's just interesting...
That is interesting that they never mentioned that she was measuring small!!  My daughter was small due to marginal insertion of the cord into the placenta...the cord wasn't connected very well.  That's too bad that you never got an answer...you would have thought that the dr. would have questioned it.
My son was born at 29 weeks weighing 2lb 14oz. He was only ventilated for 15 minutes and was a little fighter as all of the things I was warned about - complications wise - jaundice, breathing difficulties etc just didnt happen and he was fine! He was in hospital for 7 weeks. He hit all his milestones on target and height and weight are all normal and he is now a healthy happy and very bright little 4 year old and although one of the youngest in his class he was the first in his class to win awards for reading and writing.

I am trying to conceive baby number 2 and am worried that this one will be prem too. I was never really given a reason for prem labour last time. I had to have an emergency C-Section. To the best of my knowledge I have never read or heard of any links that if you have one prem there is any increased risk of others following suit? I just know they keep a much closer eye on you the second, third times around...
OMG he was so tiny!  And such a fighter!  ...I have read that the chances of another preemie are 25 % Have you heard that?
Hmm, never heard about the 25% but it's good to know that the chances are smaller.