Prenatal Vitamins...What brand is best?
i am just curious as to which prenatal vitamins are the best.with my first 2 boys i used the prescription ones that the doctor gives. with my last son i used the wal-mart brand (nature valley) prenatal vitamins. i have not started on prenatal vites yet as i am still taking my women's one-a-day multi. do you think that the prescription ones are any better than the over-the-counter ones? let me know.

ps...has anyone ever taken EXPECTA supplement while pg? i'ts fairly new, from the makers of enfamil formula...it's a prenatal supplement that contains DHA and ARA for fetal healthy brain development, same thing that's in the baby formula.

any comments and input would help immensely!

luv-sienna
They say to take something with folic acid.  I took Prenate GT.  I think they changed the name but it was good.   Congrats & Good Luck
they all seem to have folic acid. i really hate vitamins tho. if you take them on an empty or fairly empty tummy, if you burp by mistake it tastes like rotten onions! i am sure you all know what i am talking about! eeeewww!

Until 2-morrow...........

goodnite....

jaysienna
I have always added an additional folic acid supplement in addition to the prenatal vitamin. Any brand should be okay. Talk to a pharmacist, they will point you in the right direction ; )

Andrea
The only thing I would say is make sure its a prenatal vitamin Not one a day, or something like that because the prenatal ones will be dosed (is there such a word) according to what you should have while pregnant while others may have more iron etc..
Yes a pharmacist told me there wasnt any difference between a brand name and a store brand they are all equal just pay more for  the name brand,
Because I am allergic to eggs and have extremely low iron I have to be really picky.
I used to take Niferex pr plus iron - they stopped making
It took me four or so tries but I found  agood one
It is DUET  and it is the one with x iron has a picture of two hears within on pill   (what I did was ask for free samples - before I got preg)  to test out the diff possibilities - these are name brand so cost more but they work for me
I didn't take prenatals with my son.  I didn't believe in them and neither did my doc.  I was a medical student before I got pg so I knew all about (or thought I did)  how my body worked)  vitains really only work if needed but won't work if you don't have the right things in there anyway.  It was wonderful back then having a doc who agreed with me.  but now just shy of 40 I decided to go with the vitamins.
The pharmacist at my store said the generics are fine, and yes, take an additional Folic Acid supplement - it negates 70% of neural tube defects! :D
i took prenate. it didn't make me sick to my stomach. if you chose this one though you may want to take it at bedtime instead of in the morning- when i took it in the morning I felt like i was "tasting" vitamin all day long. LOL
I was started on Primacare pre-natal vitamins, however, the pharmacy couldn't keep them in stock so I talked to my doctor about it. She told me to just take Flintstone's vitamins (2 a day) and they would work just the same.  So far I haven't had any problems with them and my little boy is far bigger in size than expected so evidently they work.