Maternal & Child Community
Prenatal Vitamins...What brand is best?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Prenatal Vitamins...What brand is best?

i am just curious as to which prenatal vitamins are the best.with my first 2 boys i used the prescription ones that the doctor gives. with my last son i used the wal-mart brand (nature valley) prenatal vitamins. i have not started on prenatal vites yet as i am still taking my women's one-a-day multi. do you think that the prescription ones are any better than the over-the-counter ones? let me know.

ps...has anyone ever taken EXPECTA supplement while pg? i'ts fairly new, from the makers of enfamil formula...it's a prenatal supplement that contains DHA and ARA for fetal healthy brain development, same thing that's in the baby formula.

any comments and input would help immensely!

luv-sienna
They say to take something with folic acid.  I took Prenate GT.  I think they changed the name but it was good.   Congrats & Good Luck
they all seem to have folic acid. i really hate vitamins tho. if you take them on an empty or fairly empty tummy, if you burp by mistake it tastes like rotten onions! i am sure you all know what i am talking about! eeeewww!

Until 2-morrow...........

goodnite....

jaysienna
I have always added an additional folic acid supplement in addition to the prenatal vitamin. Any brand should be okay. Talk to a pharmacist, they will point you in the right direction ; )

Andrea
Because I am allergic to eggs and have extremely low iron I have to be really picky.
I used to take Niferex pr plus iron - they stopped making
It took me four or so tries but I found  agood one
It is DUET  and it is the one with x iron has a picture of two hears within on pill   (what I did was ask for free samples - before I got preg)  to test out the diff possibilities - these are name brand so cost more but they work for me
I didn't take prenatals with my son.  I didn't believe in them and neither did my doc.  I was a medical student before I got pg so I knew all about (or thought I did)  how my body worked)  vitains really only work if needed but won't work if you don't have the right things in there anyway.  It was wonderful back then having a doc who agreed with me.  but now just shy of 40 I decided to go with the vitamins.
The only thing I would say is make sure its a prenatal vitamin Not one a day, or something like that because the prenatal ones will be dosed (is there such a word) according to what you should have while pregnant while others may have more iron etc..
Yes a pharmacist told me there wasnt any difference between a brand name and a store brand they are all equal just pay more for  the name brand,
The pharmacist at my store said the generics are fine, and yes, take an additional Folic Acid supplement - it negates 70% of neural tube defects! :D
i took prenate. it didn't make me sick to my stomach. if you chose this one though you may want to take it at bedtime instead of in the morning- when i took it in the morning I felt like i was "tasting" vitamin all day long. LOL
I was started on Primacare pre-natal vitamins, however, the pharmacy couldn't keep them in stock so I talked to my doctor about it. She told me to just take Flintstone's vitamins (2 a day) and they would work just the same.  So far I haven't had any problems with them and my little boy is far bigger in size than expected so evidently they work.