Maternal & Child Community
Preterm labor? Or is this normal? (22 weeks 3 days preggo)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I'm 22 weeks 3 days pregnant, and my little girl has always been sitting very low. I woke up this morning and had a pulsating feeling in my vagina (the same feeling I had when I miscarried my first pregnancy. I don't know if this is just normal stretching feeling, or if it's dilation) I went to the bathroom and was not bleeding and I could feel her move, the feeling went away so I went and layed down (I'm trying not to stress out and freak out about everything...It's obviously not working out to well) Later this morning I had a pain in the upper part of my vagina (sorry I don't know the correct terms) and it's very hard I think thats her head?! I went to the mail box and my right side of my vagina started hurting.

Does this sound normal to you? Also, my mom had my twin brothers at 6 months and me at 7 months and I'm also at risk for preterm labor. I have a doctors appt tomorrow and going to tell them about my concerns, do you think they will put me on bed rest, and if they don't do you think I should be asked to be put on bed rest? I haven't been working, but I'm suppose to start a job tomorrow afternoon 15 hours a week, but I don't want the standing on my feet to complicate my pregnancy. If you were me what would you do?

Sorry this got so long, I'm just nervous. Thank you for reading and for your opinions
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that you would have pain in the vagina at the begining labor. I know that the only pain I felt untill crowning was contractions of the uterus and back pain. If the pain becomes constant or severe I would call your OB.
If you think it's preterm labor at all then go to the doctor or triage or something now. I would not wait until tomorrow's appointment. My friend just was in preterm labor and went in just because she wasn't having normal fetall movement. Luckily she went because they were able to stop her labor and get some steroid shots to help baby develop. If she would have waited til morning it may not have gone so well!

Sorry, I'm not much help really as I've never experienced labor yet....but with the scare she just had, I would be extremely cautious!
Try not to worry.  I had something very similar happen when I got to be about 7 or 8 months pg, once my baby started gaining weight.  Just to let you know, I went full term and he was born at 39 weeks.  Definitely tell your dr. just in case, but it doesn't sound like early labor.  During my whole labor process I never experienced vaginal pain.  It started out like intense menstrual cramps and progressed to pain/pressure in what felt like my anal area...sorry if tmi!!!  If you are still worried it might be labor, drink plenty of water and lay down on your left side.  If that doesn't help, go ahead and call your dr.  Better safe than sorry!!!  Best of luck!
If you are at risk for preterm labor you need to call your Dr today and let him know what is going on.  If you are in labor tomorrow may be too late for them to stop it.  
Any time you are concerned enough to post a question on here about symptoms you should contact your Dr .
Good luck!
I am 22wks and 4days pregnant. I get those pulsating feelings too. Since I'm not in pain, bleeding and I can always find her heartbeat with a doppler and it's good I don't usually worry bout it. It never hurts to ask your doctor though.
my doctor told me that most pains are fine but, if i had any vaginal pains whatsoever to call his office right away, it was a sign of preterm labor. i don't know the specifics of labor or if my pregnancy being a multiple has any factor in his cautiosness, but i would call immediately. worse case scenario it's nothing and you feel silly for calling.

hope you feel better soon.
I am 22weeks pregnant and have alot of cramping in my lower stomach, i am feeling pulsing/twitchy in the very bottom of my stomach, can you please tell me what this is. Thanks
I am 22 weeks and am at high risk for preterm labor amd was just put on a med to stop it, if i were  you i would just go to the ER to make sure so they can stop it!!!! if you dont be very careful you could lose you little baby and no one wants that. I have had a lot of problems and cramps and my dr says that that any thing that worries you in the least call to ,make sure.. its better to feel stupid than regret later!  Hope everything works out for you and your baby! Best of luck...and prayers sent your way..God bless!!!
I'm 23 weeks today and earlier this week went into preterm labor and can tell you this does not sound like preterm but rather normal pains that come and go during pregnancy. I had similar pains in the vagina around the 17 week mark and my Ob said it wasn't anything to worry about. With preterm labor you will feel a downward pressure in your entire pelvic region, as well as contractions (they may be mild or severe). You might also have severe lower back pain, the feeling that your hips are being pulled apart, and the feeling to bear down or push like you would when you go #2. The way you can tell preterm labor contrations from Braxton Hicks contractions is Braxton Hicks are generally random and will go away if you move around or eat/drink. With preterm labor contractions (just like regular contractions) they will not go away and will progressively become longer, stronger, and closer together (though they may not fall into perfectly spaced intervals like the books all say.) The key thing is if you feel pressure, have any vaginal bleeding, have fluid continuously leak from your vagina, pass your mucus plug (it'll look a bit like a giant glob of snot and might have blood in it) or have more than 4 contractions in a hour (strong or mild it doesn't matter) you need to contact your OB asap and head to drs. If anything seems odd or you're uneasy about a new pain or symptom it never hurts to call your dr and get their opinion. Best of luck and hope all goes well.