Maternal & Child Community
Prilosec while pregnant/Open Forum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Prilosec while pregnant/Open Forum

Hi girls.  I am 37 weeks on Friday.  I have felt really great except for terrible acid reflux at night.  My doctor told me to take Prilosec but now I'm reading too much on the internet and saw that it is a Class C drug and hasn't really been tested on pregnant women.  I trust my doctor but I hate putting anything into my body that might harm my precious Bella.  Anyone else been told it is OK to take Prilosec?  I took my first pill about thirty minutes ago and now I'm feeling a little guilty!
Hi!  Glad to talk to you!  We will deliver so soon, and my last day at work is Friday!!!  Anyway, if it makes you feel better, I had to take Prilosec for 8 WEEKS in the first trimester, because I developed silent acid reflux disease which almost swelled my throat shut!  I had so much damage to my esophagus that I didn't really have a choice, if I wanted to be able to talk in the future.  I was told by the ENT and subsequently by my OB (who really matters) that it is completely fine to take Prilosec and to NOT READ THE INTERNET :)  She said there's too much information out there to scare us into thinking we are doing the wrong thing, and what is put out there, though usually based on scientific study, is to be evaluated by professionals who truly understand the circumstances of the testing, etc...  The OB is to decide if it is ok in your case.  And, any medication is more harmful during the first trimester, not just a few weeks before delivery.  Your precious Bella is full term now!  There's not too much that can stunt or alter her growth now!  You should take Prilosec with confidence to make yourself feel better.  AND, if it helps you to feel even more better (make sense??), maybe try avoiding it altogether, because that little one is going to drop ANY DAY now, and your acid will subside substantially.  My little boy dropped over the weekend, and my Tums intake has decreased by more than half, believe it or not!  My stomach has gone down a bit in my chest, since baby boy has gone down much lower.  Now, there are a host of other discomforts with him dropping, but thank goodness the acid is subsiding.  What do you think??
I was so waiting for you to post because I knew you had been through this!  That makes me feel much better!  I just needed confirmation that other doctors were allowing it!  I have not even had tylenol throughout this entire thing and I absolutely dreaded taking medication for a yeast infection but did it anyway.  Ironically, the acid reflux has been better the last two night and I only started taking it this morning so maybe I don't even need the meds.  Prior to two days ago it was awful though!  I was having to sleep on the recliner.  Maybe Bella is dropping as well.  It doesn't feel like it!  She feels like she's wrapped around my middle section.  My weight is so funny lately too.  I weighed 157 (up 29 pounds) last Monday at the doctor.  This Monday I weighed 157 still at the doctor's office.  Then this morning I got on my scale which usually shows me heavier than the doctor's scale and I was 156.5.  This is odd for me.  I was gaining 2 pounds a week for awhile there!  I guess the weight gain does slow down.  I am so looking forward to us delivering our babies!  On my other board (Baby Center) one of the July 1-9 first time moms has her baby last week and another is being induced due to high BP today.  Many of them are having major contractions too.  Now me, not even BH's!  Oh, well!  Thanks for responding....
I have acid reflux pretty bad on a regular basis so you can imagine how bad it is during pregnancy.  I took Nexium with my DD through the entire pregnancy and she is perfectly healthy actually she is way ahead developmentally for a 2 year old (not that it had anything to do with the nexium).  My doctor said it was just fine and I am sure this is actually worse then Prilosec.  I am 6w2d pregnant again and he told me it was find to use during the pregnancy also.  I try not to take it everyday, but I do take it when I need it.

I think you are fine!!
I took Prilosec since my insurance did not cover Aciphex or anything else for my second baby like it did with my first.  It did not work as well, but really helped.  I did it from the second trimester on, as the Tums made me throw up from their texture.  I was nervous about it too, since my Dr. is careful with those and even frowns on too much Sudafed, but she assured me I was fine and I work with Pharmacists and they all agreed that I would be fine and that they would take that one too.  My little guy is just fine.  Be thankful it only showed up this bad at the end, I had heartburn before af was even due, that's what made me test.  Good luck with your labor and delivery!
Hi I actually suffer from the same problem in all of my pregnacies. I am currently on number four...But I just wanted to let you know that most drugs are not tested on pregnant women or children simple because no one whats to say hey I will do that. Really who wants to be the one to stand up and say I would love to put my child, unborn child and self in harms way for the name of science. Not me! However if your doctor proscribed a drug to you then he has probable used it on a lot of pregnancies and feels it is safer. If you bring it up to him he is likely to explain and risks. You are the only one who can deside if those risks are too great for you. I would also say that if you find it hard to trust or even talk to your doctor you should find a new one if possible.
Do not take Prolisec there are lawsuits against these drug companies for women taking prolisec during pregnancy causing babies to have heart defects!!!