Maternal & Child Community
Progesterone Level During Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Progesterone Level During Pregnancy

I recently went to the doctor and she confirmed that I was 7 weeks pregnant, but that my progesterone level was at 12.8 and she would like to see it at 15 or higher. From everything i'v been reading a lot of women have m/c with progesterone levels below 15. She put me on 100 mlg vaginal suppositories. At 7 almost 8 weeks pregnant is a 12.8 progesterone level a sure sign of a miscarriage or am I just panicing to soon? It seemed very cruel to me, but someone recently told me that if I was meant to have a miscarriage I should let nature take it's course and not use something like progesterone suppositories, because I could then have a baby with birth defects that wasn't meant to be? Do you think that's true? Desperate for some answers, thanks.
No, that is not true.  Many women have taken progestrone supplements to help sustain their pg and have went on to have healthy babies.  Who told you such a thing?  They aren't much of a friend...

Good luck to you and be glad your doctor caught this.  Hopefully things go very smoothly for you from here on out!  :-)
Yeh I heard that the progesteron suppositories help hold the baby as you need the extra hormones. If the doctor thought you would miscarry she would have told you.  Take care and don't stress, be calm and relaxed and enjoy your pregnancy. Take care!
So much to tell you...FIRST - lower than 15 level of progesterone in early pregnancy is NOT a "sure sign of a miscarriage." SECOND - some people should really just learn to keep their mouths shut. Not only are they freaking you out for no reason, but they don't even know what they're talking about! When i had my progesterone checked the first time it was 13.5 (at a/b 6wks or so). I started taking Prometrium (3x a day orally) and after a week my progesterone was 336! I thought surely they meant 33.6, but nope - 336 (not that too much is problematic or anything). I cut back to once a day and kept taking them until the prescription ran out (a/b 14wks or so). I'm now 19wks today and am feeling plenty of movement! Your Dr. has your best interests at heart and wouldn't have you taking something that would cause you to have a baby with birth defects.
   On a side note, it's only fair to tell you (this was also shared with me by my Dr. office) that progesterone supplements aren't magic pills. If something's wrong, progesterone won't fix it, but it gives your body more time to fix itself. It really is kind of out of your hands right now, but nothing is for sure and you have a VERY good chance of having a perfectly smooth 9 mos. and a very normal, healthy baby!
You can check out paternityangel.com also they tell you what the progesteron does. It also has a week by week what to expect. Take care!
Thank you to all of you who responded to my fears and questions! I do feal better hearing from all of you and will try to keep a positive note until I hear otherwise from my doctor. Thanks soo much!!
RE:  if I was meant to have a miscarriage I should let nature take it's course and not use something like progesterone suppositories, because I could then have a baby with birth defects that wasn't meant to be.

That is bull. Whoever said that to you should think before they talk, or maybe do a little research. Low progesterone is a hormonal problem, and has nothing to do with the quality of the embryo. That's like saying if you have low thyroid, you should just let nature take it's course, and die slowly instead of treating it.
Thanks for your response. I agree. Ya know I was starting to let that person's comment really get me down, but after hearing from you all it has reconfirmed my belief that this can still be a healthy normal pregnancy. Thanks!
P.S. My daughter is the result of progesterone supplements. She is perfectly healthy and beautiful. This one will be a progesterone baby too.
In Dec. of '04 my husband and I finally conceived after 3 months of trying (first pregnancy) - however lost the baby after 7 weeks.  One cycle later we were pregnant again and the dr. had us come in immediately - one day after my missed period to try and find out what was wrong. He called me later that day and said that my progesterone levels was 7 - and that I had to immediately go to the pharmacy and pick up the hormones and begin taking.  It's amazing how quickly they worked!  I now have a beautiful healthy 17 month old boy.  
We are now trying for a second child and am ready to make the trip to the dr. again for the hormones!
Hi everyone. I just found out I am pregnant and am 6 wks 4 days along. At 6 wks 1 day my Dr. checked my progesterone and found it to be 16.1, when she wanted it to be at least 20. Does this mean I have a high risk of miscarriage or is it just a little on the low side? I have had two successful pregnancies and have two healthy boys. I'm really scared of this information. I go in for an ultrasound tomorrow. I'm just looking for other people who may have experienced the same sort of thing. Thanks.
I am going through the same thing right now.  I am 5 weeks 4 days pregnant with my first. My HCG levels are doubling, but my progesterone level was 10.2.  The Dr. gave me suppositories 4 days ago and my levels were retested today . I am praying they go up when I call  for th results Wed.  Has anyone else experienced this?
I had a miscarriage on April 1st, and I found out three weeks ago that I am pregnant again.  My doctor is testing my progesterone level weekly.  The first week I was 29.3, the next week it was 20 and last week it was 19.  I am 6wks today and I test again tomorrow, and I have to be honest I am begining to freak out!!!  Is it normal for the progestrone level to drop?
I visited the doc a couple days ago and she confirmed that I was 6 weeks 2 days along, this is my third pregnancy, the first two ended in miscarriages, the doc put me on prometrium to be administered vaginally twice a day but she hasnt yet tested my progesterone levels will the extra progesterone that I am taking right now harm the baby, am worried to death
I read CP in Br's comment and it has eased my mind a little but I am still really worried and wondering if there is anyone else out there in my situation. In Dec 05, I found out I was pregnant and I went for bloodwork at 4wks. My prog level came back at 12 (which they didn't inform me until a week later) and they started me on Prometrium 100mg twice a day. When I had my 1st U/S it showed the baby was only 6 weeks when it should have been 7 and the heartbeat was slow. I ended up having a mc at 9 weeks and I really believe now it was because of my prog levels. Now I am preg again. I am 9w 1d today. As soon as I found out I was preg, I called my dr and I went for bloodwork. My prog first tested at 20.4 but the next week it had fallen to 19.8. At that point my dr put me back on the Prometrium 100mg twice a day. I have been tested twice since going on it..the first time my level was 41.1 and this past week it came back at 169.3. Although it is obviously going in the right direction, I am concerned it may be too high. I have read that levels above 100 are usually during the third trimester. Does anyone know if too high of a level so early is harmful or not? My dr said it is ok b/c it is the meds that are making it that high and not my own body, but I am still apprehensive. I am not sure if I should get a second opinion. Any thoughts???
Thanks.
I sincerely hope this is not the case with your pregnancy, but with my miscarriage, the dropping progesterone levels were a sign of a problem with the baby. My progesterone started out in the 20's and each week kept dropping. I started spotting when my progesterone reached 5, but the baby had already stopped growing and there was no hearbeat at 7.5 weeks (we saw the hearbeat at 6.5 weeks). The testing after the D&E revealed trisomy 16. Somehow my body knew that the baby wasn't going to make it (trisomy 16 is incompatible with life) and started preparing for the process of miscarrying. I have heard many stories of women who feel that they have been helped by progesterone suppliments; I hope that will be the case for you. It is just sometimes really hard to know why your levels are low.
I went to my doctor last monday (07/17) and my progestorene levels were at 10. He call me and ask me to go to his office again and yesterday they did a new blod test and my levels drop to 6. He prescribe me medication  to be vaginally. This is my second pregnancy. I am scared what is going to happen. There is somebody that went to the same and had a helathy pregnancy after taking this medication?
hi well i'am haveing the same problem my progestrone levels were at 12.8 on july 14th and on july 25th they were 6.8 so they dropped by half is that i bad thing i started prometrium on july 21st. and my hcg levels were 1400 on the 25th and 239 on the 14th i'm really lost and don't wanna lose my baby
Yes, progesterone is perfectly safe as long as it is the natural kind.  Most OB's, if not all do not give synthetic for pregnancy.  No, progesterone will NOT sustain a pregnancy that is not viable. I had a perfectly healthy baby boy with the help of progesterone.  I had and always have had a luteal phase defect where my body simply does not produce enough progesterone so needs some help.  Without it, I would be childless, as would many women.  It is not uncommon for women to have progesterone producing problems especially after taking the pill, although medical doctors seem to disagree (mostly men mind you) and say that is not true but it happens far too often to women especially after coming off the pill.  I also agree with the one poster- whoever told you that info is not much of a friend.  Ask around a bit more, you will find a lot of women who were on a progesterone suppository or pill when they were pregnant during their first trimester. Also, natural progesterone is classified as a category B in pregnancy, so it is safe.
Should I be concerned if my progesterone level drops?  My progesterone level over the past three weeks have been 20, 26 and then 20 again.  Is that normal? Should levels fluctuate like that?  I am taking progesterone suppositories 100mg, 2x a day.  I lost my last two pregnancies at 6 wks and 9wks. and I was taking suppositoires for those pregnancies- but I still lost them.  I have my first ultrasound tomorrow (6wks) and I'm very nervous.  I don't want to lose another one.
I was told that your progesterone levels may vary from test to test, because the levels change via the time of the day, how much and when you ate/drank, and how long after your last suppository.  My doctor says that he likes to see a pregnant woman's levels of 16 or more, so I'd say your levels look good!  I had 2 MC's in a row before carrying my son to term, so keep the faith!  My doctor also had me on 1 baby aspirin (low dose 81mg) per day until the end of my 3rd trimester.  You may want to ask your doctor about that, as I know it's helped a lot of women with previous MC's.
GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!
Hi, I'm 8 wks pregnant. my doc prescirbed me prometrium 100 mg orally twice daily, because I was spotting after 6 wks, I used to see the brwonish pinkish mucus on the toliet paper after I swiped myself. Doc did the sonogram, fetal Heartbeat is normal, doc told me not to worry about spotting too much, it could be the residual thats coming out. from yesterday that spotting thing has stopped. is it safe to take prometrium during pregnancy. I'm worried since I have read that it's not safe during pregnancy. Please advise.  
I'm 6 wks, 5 days pregnant. I'm worried b/c my doctor prescribed me 200mg of progesterone orally because i told her i get occassional cramping in my middle lower abdomen..no real pain just a lot of discomfort more like it. I don't hvae a history of miscarriage, and my menstual cycles were normal and regular. This is my first pregnancy.  I wasn't tested for progesterone level. Don't even know how it is tested. I'm worried I'm taking it and it is not necessary. Pls help. Thanks.
i dont have any children and i talked to my mam and we have never have history of misscarriage in our family.last year this time me and my husband faced a unexpected missed carriage after 7 weeks. currently im pregant again this is my 2nd week or 14 days. i took blood and my hormal level is 7 and progestrone is 10. doctor prescribe prometroum 100mg 2per day. my heart is breaking and am i going to be ok?
i am in my 6th week pregnant . i had my first blood test a week and a half ago . my hgc was 57 and my progesterone was 9 . since then i had started spotting them light bleeding . my hcg is now 1163 and i havent gotten my 2nd progesterone count back yet . i asked my doctor about the sup. but she said they did give it if i was under 10 . they didnt want stop the inevitable . does this seem right .
I am now 12 weeks pregnant and we went through taking Progestrone (Proachieve 8.0%) suppositories from 5 weeks as there was spotting and the doctor believed that a twin was miscarried.
Well, the doctor advised to stop the supposotories now that now that the placenta is supposed to take over the role of producing the progestrong. It has been 3 days since I stopped the Progestrone supposotories and this morning had spotting of brown blood along with an clot.
We went to the Emergency today and a scan showed a healthy baby and heart beat, and now I am back on the Progestrone as I think that the spotting is due to stopping the medication.
Does anyone have the experience of being on Progestrone suppositories longer than 12 weeks ? Any comments on how safe it is to take atleast till the baby starts moving ?
After 3 miscarriages I was referred to a fertility/reproductive specialist.  At my first appt they had me do a hydrosonogram.  Just a few days later I got pregnant again and then went onto miscarry #4.  I'm now pregnant with #5.  At 5 weeks 4 days we saw a sac and no fetal pole or heartbeat.  2 days later I went in for another ultrasound and saw the heartbeat which was low at 102-106.  I've had my hcg and progesterone taken every few days since I found out I was pregnant.  The HCG's are more than doubling, but very high which has been troubling.  We ruled out the blighted ovum yesterday, but I'm still worried about a partial molar pregnancy.  My progesterone levels keep falling too even while I'm on the Crinone suppository once per day.  They were 36.4 on Jan. 18 with an HCG of 59.  By Feb. 4 (5 weeks 6 days) the HCG was 39542 and progesterone was 24.3.  My doctor uses the #20 as a rule of thumb on the progesterone.  If it's lower than that number he'll put you on the suppositories, or in my case might double my RX to twice a day since they keep getting lower.  I go back in another week for another ultrasound and testing for HCG and progesterone.  I'm worring myself sick and am wondering if the lowering progesterone is a sign I will miscarry again.  I feel sick morning, noon and night.
I'm a 35 yr old and this is my 2nd pregnancy. I never had problems of any kind during my 1 st pregnancy 7 yrs ago.
Now suddenly yesteday at 8 weeks 6 days I suddenly had a fair amount of bleeding. WE went for a ultrasound and thakfully found everythings all right with the baby. Now my doctor had advised me to take progestorone 200 mg twice daily orally for the first 2 days and vaginally after that till  twelve weeks. she has not advised any blood tests to check my progesterone levels. is it Ok to take 400 mg progesterone daily without any tests. My bleeding was a one time episode and there has not been any spotting after that.
hi I also started bleeding at the end of 7th week. I had some paperwork from my previous ob-gyn visit to get some blood work done. having done some research about possible causes of bleeding in early pregnancy, I found the progesterone factor. so without teklling my doc, I also added hcg quant and progesterone testing for my next blood test. the results did show my progesterone level was low 10. My doc prescribed me 8% crinone progesterone suppositories. I think my bleeding has reduced significantly. I do feel nauseous but am glad to have taken it if it helps. Iam definitely feeling better that bleeding is almost stopped.
The dr. called today and said that my HCG levels were rising which was a good sign but my progesterone levels dropped from 22 to 18. I am 6 weeks preg. Should I be worried? I have PCOS and I just read that women with PCOS have a  greater chance of miscarriage. I am just so worried that I can't save the baby inside of me.
How did your pregancy go when your progesterone levels dropped to 6?  Mine have just done the same.  I was just wondering?