Maternal & Child Community
Progesterone and miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Progesterone and miscarriage

I know that there haven't been studies to confirm or support that progesterone can help prevent a miscarriage.  I had a miscarriage 6 weeks ago.  I still haven't started a period which I have to do before we can start trying again.  I got pregnant immediately after going off the pill.  Before I started taking the pill I had VERY irregular and light periods.  I would sometimes go 4-5 months without having a period.  Even on the pill my periods were very light.    My doctors seem to think that my menstrual history is normal and that it isn't tied to the miscarriage.  A med school friend said that maybe the reason I got pregant so quickly after going off the pill was because of the hormone levels that were still present from the pill but I didn't produce enough to sustain the pregnancy.  I really don't want to have another miscarriage and I want to be able to get pregnant again, so I'm wondering if I should talk to my doctor more about progesterone.  Is there any possibility of a connection?
I would recommend going to your doctor and discussing with him/her your hormone levels, etc.  Progesterone will NOT prevent a miscarriage from and already failed pregnancy, but if your progesterone levels are low to begin with and you start before you conceive it might help.  It's controversial..but from my experience, taking it with a pregnancy that is going to fail for other reasons all it did for me was prolong the miscarriage.  Good luck to you!
You don't have to wait till you get another period before trying again, i did that after my first m/c, but after my second I just said screw it, and found out 2 weeks ago I was pregnant.
The progestrone has been helping me out.  It's given me a sense of security, and as we all know stress can be a factor in a m/c.  Taking the progestrone has eased the "what if I loose another one?"  and anyone who's had a m/c know's that's on they're mind 24/7 when they get pregnant again.  The progestrone can be messy, leakage, and time consuming, 30 mins to 1 hr twice a day...gets hard when you have kids, but i think it's worth it.  My doctor told me that it would sustain the preg even if it's not viable...that you would find out in an ultrasound.  Basically she told me it would keep me from miscarring again.  it does nothing to ensure it's a healthy, viable preg, if it's not meant to be, then nothing can change that...but i'm not thinking that way.  This one is healthy, viable and  he or she will stay right where they are for atleast the next 30 weeks i hope!  
I suggest you talk to your doctor, i know it has helped me out.  even if it can be a pain!  I'm married, nothing's worse then that... LOL.
Giz!
Hi, I read your post and I was wondering if you continued to take the progesterone after your m/c?  I had a m/c last week and I had been taking progesterone pills twice a day but they told me to discontinue them once I misscarried.  Also, doesn't the progesterone delay ovulation?
Honestly I don't know.  I started taking them when I found out I was pregant this time.  My doctor thought it was a good idea and she's deals with things like this all the time.  
But it is definatley something i would suggest talking to your doctor about, keep me updated.. any information I can get would certainly help me out too.  
But if you do have any other questions that I may be able to answer.
angelicdevil_22***@****
Sorry about the second post, I didn't see your comment until I had already sent the post.  If you want to contact me I am at ***@**** thanks again.
Hi, I don't know about progesterone delaying ovulation but as soon as we found out my pregnancy was tubal, my doc told me stop the progesterone immediately AND stop taking prenatals...i think for ectopic it's more a case of the pregnancy developing still..even after i had it removed she told me stop taking prenatals until my HCG levels are negative, BUT i'm not trying again so that is a whole different story! Good luck to you!
thanks for your comment...how come you decided not to try again?
No problem.  I woudl like as much information for myself and if i can help someone else I would love to do that.
keep me posted.
Thanks so much for the advice.  This is the first time I have used this site.  It really helps to be able to hear from other women going through the same stuff.  I now feel like I can talk to my doctor about this without seeming like a worry-wart.  Best of luck to all mommies, babies, and babies to be.
Sorry I asked about why you didn't want to try again.  I am new in here and I hadn't read your previous posts.  I hope things work out for you and your family and take care of yourself.
oh it's totally ok! =) I wish you the best as well...good luck with everything! =)
We decided not to try because I had two miscarriages in the last six months..the second being an ectopic..and my right tube is ruined.  The first miscarriage I lost so much blood and was depressed for a few months..and tired..the last one (3 weeks ago) was just so hard emotionally i don't want to go through the chance of having it happen again.  I guess once you've had an ectopic your chances of having another are very high and i'm just terrified to go through that again! Do you have any children yet? I have three boys...i'd love to try one more time..even if it was another boy..but mayb eit's just not meant to be...an di'm not getting any younger =(
You're right about progesterone delaying ovulation.  As long as you're taking it your body won't get the hormonal message that it's time to start your next cycle and shed the uterine lining.  Your body produces progesterone from the egg folicle after you ovulate.  If you're taking progesterone your body thinks you're pregnant--no period so no ovulation afterwards.  You don't produce high levels of progesterone again until after you ovulate the next time.   Hope that helps.  :-)
hi

i was reading your attachments on medhelp     I had a miscarrage (miscarriage)  the doctor did know i was carring to babies  when they were trying to a h/b the first time it was 160  when iwent from my apt.  they couldnt find one  the doc. told me to go to x-ray  for a u/s  they saw that there was two of them that made my day  i went back over to the o/b doctor  he told me that they weren't moreing and had no h/b  it all went down hill
from there he said they were dead and the hospital couldnt anything here so they sent me to uk hospital then both fit in your hand they did a d&c   they were 14 week size   im 17  i have one little girl she'll be 2 in dec  but i cant see her so we tryed one but got two now i dont have them    what do i do i cry every night   how do you stop a miscarrage (miscarriage) ?  how dose miscarrage (miscarriage) happen?   If you have yahoo Messenger  my nick
is Khristi_1   and my mane is Khristi  i would love to talk to you    
thank you for your time
I was reading about your loss, i am so very sorry, i have also experienced the pain of ectopic pregnancies.  My husband and i miscarried on 2/18/00 (Ectopic) and again on 11/27/02 (ectopic) the pain we felt was unimaginable. I lost both of my fallopian tubes due to the miscarriages! I have now started IVF. I have found out that a simple office procedure called a hystosonogram could save you from ever having the misfourtune of another ectopic.  A small catheda is inserted into your uterus,(with a camera attached) and they can look to see if there is any scar tissue or blockages in your tubes.  If so they can remove the tissue with a laser while they are performing the hystosonogram.
I only wish that someone had told us about this procedure before i lost both of my tubes.

I hope your dreams of another child becomes your reality.

Monica
Hi, I have had two miscarriages since June, my OB has had me start progesterone therapy today, the first day of my period, should I be waiting until after I've ovulated?  I don't want to delay pregnancy.  Should I wait to take this until I have a positive pregnancy test?  The pamphlets that came with the prescription talked about menopause and I'm not anywhere near that.  Any information would be helpful.

thanks,
Staci
JUST FYI FOR PEOPLE SEARCHING THIS SUBJECT.

I had my DD in Nov 2004.
I Had an ectopic in october 2007 with Methotrexate removal at 7 weeks.
I had a blighted ovum in october 2008 with DNC Removal at 11 weeks.
In December of 2009 my doctor put me on progesterone cream DAILY to regulate my menstrual cycle as I had not cycled for 3 months. I had a period within 2 weeks. That was December 22nd. By Jan 28th I had a BFP on a pregnancy test. I had an ultrasound yesterday confirming that it is definately intrauterine and not ectopic. I had HCG Serum done and it returned at 2942. According to the HCG and the ultrasound I ovulated a week late so I am actually 5 weeks and not 6 weeks. THE POINT HERE IS PROGESTERONE WILL NOT STOP YOU FROM OVULATING. MY PREGNANCY IS LIVING PROOF. Now whether it delays it is another issue altogether.
I have another HCG pull tomorrow and another ultrasound in 2 weeks. So far I cannot verify whether or not it is another blighted or not but only another Two Week Wait will tell!

I hope this information helps someone in the future. I know this post is ancient, but I found it so someone else might too.

Best wishes & Baby Dust to all trying.