Maternal & Child Community
Progesterone suppositories and positive early home pregnancy tests

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I have been taking vaginal progesterone suppositories for about 2 weeks and I got 2 positive home pregnancy test results today.  I've been trying to conceive for about 2 1/2 years and this is my first positive test.  Could the result have been positive because of the progesterone suppositories?
I don't think progesterone suppositories can cause a positive pregnancy test, those tests are looking for HCG (the pregnancy hormone) which isn't made until sperm meets egg, so it sounds to me like you are pg - my congrats to you and tons of sticky baby dust~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
OMG!! Congrats.. That is so long to be TTC. Sticky baby dust to you and keep us posted....

Why were you taking the progesterone and where did you get it?? I just got bfp today also and am scared to death because i miscarried in Nov of last year. Did your doc put you on it or did you buy it over the counter?? Im up for anything that will help this little one stick. Have waited for so long i don't think i could handle the disappointment of losing another one.
Lots of luck to you and CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!
According to my Dr. the number one thing that Progesterone does is strengthen the uterus. Pregnency tests look for two differnt hormones, LH and HCG, in order for it to come up positive. So the answer is no, the progesterone that you are taking will not cause a false positive pregnancy test.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
Thank You =0) I don't feel any symptoms yet.  I had a doctor's appt today for something else and I had to take a pregnancy test and it came back positive.  I stopped and got another one on the way home and it was positive too.  I'm still skeptical because I've been pregnant before and there was plenty of morning sickness, bad attitude and sore nipples.  This time there's nothing.
I've been seeing and infertility specialist for about 2 years.  He found some endometriosis last year and did laser surgery to remove it but he would never put on any meds because he felt like I didn't need anything.  This was very frustrating. =0(  He recently checked my progesterone level it was 9 so he perscribed me 2 50mg suppositories 2x per day. I also had and IUI about 2 weeks ago but this was my 4th one.
I am completely with you on the 'no symptoms' as i have not had any either. Don't feel pregnant at all.
My Dr said every pregnancy is different and they're not always unpleasant.
When I was preggers with my son, I had absolutely NO symptoms!!! Throughout the whole pregnancy. Congrats!!!! You are preggers, and I hope it sticks! I've had 2 m/c in the last 3 months, and I had more pg symptoms with them then with the pregnancy with my son. He is healthy and is almost 2, YIKES!!! Good Luck!!! Keep us posted!!
Progesterone cannot cause a false positive on an hpt. They test for hcg which is a hormone that can only be produced by a pregnancy, or duplicated by a select few fertility drugs. If you got a positive, then you must really be pregnant. Congrats!