Maternal & Child Community
Progesterone suppositories...when did side effects start...if any at al...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Progesterone suppositories...when did side effects start...if any at all??

I'm 5 weeks preggo today and I started spotting last week when I went to the doctor (11/1) so due to a prior m/c, she put me on progesterone suppositories- 100mg once at bedtime. She said they might make me feel icky but so far I've been okay other than the sore bbs that started yesterday. Just curious if these were my normal symptoms of pregnancy or is it a late side effect of the progesterone?  Any experience??
I had to take them too, I started the same time as you, Make sure to wear a mini-pad, I had to take 200mg at 1 time yuck, they made me agitated, cranky and kinda depressed really also they increase your pregnancy symptoms so I was told, my breast were really sore and I always felt sick to my tummy but I never actually threw up, God bless and congrats
Baby Tee--

I also have had a miscarriage and am going to TTC this month....I've often wondered about low progesterone and I wish my Dr. would just perscribe it as soon as I'm pregnant!!

Did the spotting scare you?  Was it a lot?  Have they checked your progesterone level?  What was it?

GOod luck, sweetie!!!
I was on them too and took them the same time you are.  I never had any side effects from them (other than maybe being tired alot more)....BUT this could have been from being preggo and running after a 2 year old. That is why I was glad to take it at nite!!  Well good luck to you and I would say the sore bbs are from being preggo!!

Baby Dust!!
Hi.  I just posted this in another comment/question below.

Since you all are taking or considering taking progesterone suppositories, thought I would let you know what my doctor told me about the need to do it BEFORE getting pregnant.  

This is just what my doctor told me...be sure to check what you doctor has to say about this.

Hi. Haven't done progesterone supplementation but my doctor told me if it is needed it is best to do it BEFORE you get pregnant. Apparently once the pregnancy is established (corpus luteum which produces the progesterone) the progesterone supplements don't affect it. It is needed to help create a good, healthy CL cyst but after it doesn't really impact.

I also asked my doctor about needing progesterone after MC (how do you know if it MC b/c of lack of prog. or if prog. dropped b/c the pregnancy wasn't continuing) and was told that if you have fairly normal, regular cycles than you are most likely not progesterone deficient. Progesterone deficiency causes shorter luteal phases...if cycles are "normal/regular" than it is more likely that the MC was caused by a chromosomal abnormality.

How or why do you think you are deficient in progesterone?

Anyone else with insight?

Hope you're doing well. Take care.
With the first pregnancy that m/c, I spotted almost the entire time (heavy enough for me to think that I was having my cycle) and I didn't even think I was pregnant until my bbs got sore and then I tested and it was positive. My numbers did not double as they were supposed to and I went on to m/c (never had prog checked). That time I wasn't really scared but I was just to the point where I wanted my body to be normal again. This time when I notice the spotting I told the dr immediately and she got very frustrated and told me to take progesterone supp (maybe she thought the first could have been prevented...I don't know) and I haven't seen a spot since (Thank God!). I had my 2nd beta done today and I'm waiting on my numbers now so I'll see how that goes. Best wishes and God bless you all!!
I dont know why a dr. would prescribe it to you after you are preggo if it doesnt work.  That just doesnt make sense to me.  My dr. prescribed it to me right after I found out I was preggo.  Just as a precaution...she didnt say I HAD to have it.  She said it helps build your lining more so the baby has a good place to implant and stay there.  Either I didnt need it or it helped cause I am 22 weeks now.  I think all doctors have their own opinion on things.  Just thought I would share my thoughts too!!

Baby Dust!
My husband and I did IUI 5 days ago and the doctor put me on progesterone suppositories two days after the IUI.  Since taking the progesterone, my breast have become ENTIRELY sore.  And my nipples are painful to the touch!  But I've also noticed that I'm always sleepy and if I sit still, I feel very subtle "period like" cramps that come and go.  Does anybody else experience this?  I'm fearful that my period may be coming.
I too am on prog supp and have the sore bb and slight cramps...I checked with my doc since this is my 3rd attempt and std that is normal, but I only feel like this when I insert them. and its just your uterus expanding, but I would check with the doc just to me for sure!
hi i m on progesterone too i was taking the progeterone its been a month now and i m now 12 weeks pregnant my dr checked on my blood test she said still low and was wondering after taking so many shots why its still low that thing made me worried and the fear of losing my child m jus so depress rite now and do not kno wat to do i m trying my best to fell better but u kno as i always stay alone at home with my kid and my husband comes late from his work so i have no one to talk and these things making me thin n think n think abt my pregnancy now dr put me on soppositories lets see wat happens now but those shots were making sleepy alot all day n nite i feel like unconscious if i dont sleep and headache its jus m goin through alot i hope i deliver a healthy and alive baby and i pray for u too the same and my best wishes who r ttc and the womans r pregnant please pray for me too.
paradise.
Stay positive. i know it is hard. i am in your same situation. keep praying for a positive pregnancy and healthy baby. you are in my prayers. God won't give you anything you can't handle!
My wife had one miscarriage and after that her ob tested for low progesterone right after she got pregnant again.  The progesterone level was night increasing so we he put her on the supplement.  That pregnancy did good.  The next pregnancy was same situation.  Got pregnant, checked progesterone level, then checked again and it wasn't increasing so we did supplements again.  
Hell there, I too am taking progesterone suppositories. I have had cramping and sore bbs.  I had in-vitro with icsi on witha transfer of 3 embryos on Nov.20.  since then I'm trying to saty calm but I just can not do it.  I am waiting to do a Blood test on Mon.Dec 1 to see if I'm pregnant or not.  But I still feel like I am getting my Period.  I have to say it is nice to see other woman having the same/similar effects as myself.
Thank-you Ladies.
Hi,  I had IUI and was taking Menopur injections and now on prometrium (progesterone) suppositories. I also feel little twinges, sore bbs and bloating. I guess these are side effects from the progesterone??? I was hoping they were pregnancy symtoms (symptoms)...but maybe not. I test on Wednesday, Dec. 3.
My doctor put me on 100mg at bedtime also, my side effects started right away. Before the progesterone I felt sick and threw up once in a while. Once I started them though, it was almost instantly I started throwing up every hour or whenever I ate or drank anything. I also felt tired all the time and generally just felt ****** and cranky. I forgot to take them and all those symptoms practically went away, as soon as I took them again they were back. So like I said my side effects were right away and pretty bad, but I think it was because my progesterone wasn't very low to begin with, 14.7 I'm told they like it to be at least 15.
Do any of you know if progesterone can make your period start earlier? I'm having very mild spotting (light pink to brownish) and my period is schedule to arrive on Sunday. I'm always consistent. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I began the suppositories Weds. - the day after my "3 day timed intercourse" days =)  I didn't know you had to lie down after -- so I feel a lot of wetting, will try laying down next time =)  I find out if preg on the 15th, so let's hope it worked.  My infertility doctor prescribed the progesterone due to 2 past miscarriages -- apparently I just can't hold the pregnancies.  Thanks for all the comments -- so helpful!
Hi,  I'm a little over 5 weeks pregnant and had my HCG tested this AM and am anxiously waiting for the results.  I have cramping and some reddish spotting today so I'm quite worried.  I have been on 200 2x/day progesterone suppositories since 3 days after ovulation.  I'm wondering if this could be a chemical pregnancy that the progesterone is delaying happening?  Hopefully not, but I've had 3 miscarriages in the last year so it's tough to be positive.... Has anyone had a chemical pregnancy while on progesterone supplements?   Jen
I am 8 wks pregnant and on 100 2Xday suppositories for about two weeks. I recently stopped taking them for 2 days b/c I was out. About 48 hours after being off, I started spotting a bright red. I am now back on, but have only taken it once. Does any one know if this is common?? When I took the first one today, I had some cramp like feelings. I am so worried right now. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?? Good luck to all of you and God Bless!!
I am on progesterone also. i am having period like symtoms (symptoms)-cramping, horrible back pain, stomach pain that comes and goes, and a temp of 99.5. i am going in for a pregnancy blood test sunday. do you think its too early to take a hpt? i have in vitro transfer a week ago today?
i found out i was pregnant at 3 weeks my doctor put me on progesterone  suppositories  once in the morning and once before bed time to help me keep my baby now i'm 7 weeks and counting but i also go in every week for a check up to see if everything is ok i had 3 m/c's and one ectopic pregnancy and i haven't really had any side effects... . so good luck to you all
I just found out I was pregnant about a week and a half ago.  I immediatly went to the doctor because I have had 4 miscarraiges in the past.  I was told that I was about 4-5 weeks.  She took my blood on a Wednesday, and then again on a Friday.  She called me today to tell me that my progesterone is very low and wants me on a progesterone suppository.  I am willing to do anything to make sure this is a healthy pregnancy.  What I am worried about is that some information that I have found says that if you aren't on progesterone before you get pregnant that it doesnt help, and then some information that I find says that it does help.  I'm just confused as to what the information actually is.  Anything that anyone knows would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks!!
Ali
Hi. I had a mc a few years ago at 6 weeks. I am pregnant again but had spotting week 4/5 so went to the hospital for a scan. the doctor couldnt find the embryo at first cos it was so small and said it was 90% an unviable pregnancy and i would have to have an abortion. she took my hcg levels, which were normal so decided the prognosis was better.

she prescribed 100mg progesterone 3 times a day and i had to go back for another scan in a few days. anyway, the embryo had tripled in size over the few days. i stayed on progesterone 3x a day throughout the first trimester and the baby went from 2 weeks behind dates to the right size at week 13. i did have more spotting in week 9, which i think was from flu and coughing fits pressuring my belly. after bedrest i was ok again. now i am 14 weeks and reducing my progesterone to 1 a day and im gonna come off it soon.  the side effetcs are awful- nausea, tiredness, mood swings- but i think the progesterone helped the baby to develop and stopped the spotting in the first trimester. my scan last week said evrything looks normal so fingers crossed.
I did an IUI last month with 200mg micronized progesterone twice daily.  I did not do a pregnancy test because my period started, so I would think I'm definitely not pregnant. But this month I started spotting 6 days before my period is supposed to start after having not taken any progesterone for about 3 weeks. I'm always very regular and I don't have these prolonged days of spotting, this is very unusual for me. Could it be the residual side effects of the progesterone in my system making me spot?
In response to a couple previous posters confusion about taking progesterone *before* you get pregnant:

The earliest you can take progesterone while trying to conceive is AFTER you ovulate.  Taking it before then will prevent ovulation from taking place.  Some providers like to start dosing a few days after ovulation, while others will wait for the positive pregnancy test.
I am about 4 weeks pregnant.  I have suffered 2 miscarriages in a little less than a year.  After the 2nd miscarriage, my dr did some genetic testing to see if I had an underlying condition causing the miscarriages, but all were normal.  I had hcg and progesterone levels done Monday (hcg 55 & prog. 29.2) and will do again today to see if numbers are doubling.  I have been reading a lot on progesterone supplements, thinking that maybe I should do that to better my chances of not having a 3rd miscarriage.  My question is, what does a dr consider a high progesterone level?  I heard that the danger in taking progesterone while pregnant is if your numbers get too high...    
Hi there! I have had two healthy children, donated eggs twice to a couple (who concieved) and then 3 m/C's. Testing could not find any problems...as a last attempt I was put on progesterone.  I am now 12 weeks pregnant and doing great. The progesterone does amplify the pregnancy symptoms but its worth it. We have a healthy pregnancy and a strong heart beat. I believe the egg donations altered my natural progesterone levels. Since there are no studies on donors after donating its hard to say. Good luck!
I have had several rounds of iui and am now on round 2 of ivf. I have had pessaries of progesterone every time despite having no deficiency and begging my dr not to make me have them. I'm on 400mg at the mo and I'm on day 9 after eggs taken, day 4 after 2 embryos have been put back in. The reason I hate then so much, other than the mess, is the pain. I feel like my period is about to start any minute. The pains I have today are particularly bad. Usually o get my period before it is due and before the preg test which I am sure is the pessary's fault too. Very nervous as this is our last funded ivf, period isn't due til next Wednesday. Anyone else get the pains this bad and it not be ur period??
i am happy to identify with someone.I started mine after the timed intercourse and have been inserting the pessaries anally which gives me no problem.What am unsettled about is the face that i have been inserting 200mg daily.not sure if doc said 200mg twice or once and i am afraid to even call and ask.

Emma
I am 5dpiui and I am not experiencing any drastic symptoms. I have sore bbs and mild cramping but thats normal every month for me after ovulating.
I had my iui on tueasday 9/11 and started my prgestrone supporties on Friday. I am currently in my 2ww period and its kiling me. I have been trying to keep my mind occupied ,I have even started a journal. I pray for all you ladies and hope that we al get a chance to experience pregnancy whether  its your first time or not. Baby Dust to everyone!!!!!