Maternal & Child Community
Prolonged use of Tylenol and Liver Damage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My child is ~6 mos and has been teething for ~4 weeks. We had gotten in the routine of giving him a half to whole dose of Tylenol before bed each night to help him with the pain while sleeping. We never exceeded the individual or daily dosage levels.  My concern is that using it for this long has done him harm.  Is using Tylenol daily for a prolonged period of time doing damage to his liver?
It could, this is something you should address with your pediatrician. Generally giving only a half dose is not effective anyway for pain control, but could still be causing some damage if done as frequently as you have mentioned. Better yet, if you can't get ahold of your pedi, put a call into a local pharmacist as they are much more knowledgable about meds than most doctors.

Have you considered Hyland Teething tablets? They are quite effective for teething babies and do not have the potential effects on the liver.

Andi
Talk to the pharmacist. I was told that the dosage of Tylenol would have to be much, much above recommended dose to hurt. I have seen more problems with ibuprofen( in adults) kidney damage than I have heard of liver problems from Tylenol. I would cut back though. Only when she is extremely fussy, not as a routine.
Gee, I'd try the the Hyland Teething Tablets Andi recommended.  Tylenol does nothing for me in the pain department (has anyone ever cured a headache with it?) so I wouldn't necessarily think it would work with my child, and if there is also a question about safety, eeesh.  Good luck!