Maternal & Child Community
Prometrium

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Prometrium

HI there,  I just wanted to ask for any advice about Prometrium.  
I am about 8 weeks pregnant.  I went through an IVF program.  
I am currently taking aspirin(daily),  progesterone oil (daily), estrodiol (3x/day), and prenatal (daily).

I will be starting the prometrium (3x/day)tomorrow overlapping with all of the medications. However, I will be off the progesterone oil the next dayn(Tuesday); therefore, I will be on the new medication (prometrium) for the next 16 days (until feb 7).

I am a little bit concern bc I was reading in the internet that I am NOT suppose to take this medication (prometrium) if I am pregnant.DOes this sound normal????? I appreciate any feedback.
It perfectly okay to take this med.  It is a natural form of Progesterone.  However, if you can stick with the oil I would do that.  My doctor says that the oil is much better and is absorbed by the body better.
THANK YOU SO MUCH your comments.... I feel much better.....
Hey kissyrox -- The pressure to perform is killing him I think.  Buy him some DVD porn, that works like a charm.  Just fire it up and he'll respond.
Im so sorry to piggy back but Im just going to explode.
My husbnd and I really thought last cycle we were preg. Im such a dumb bleep because we barley bd and I dont think we even did during the big O Its been always something on the big O but I have been hoping that his swimers lived long enough to rech. Well this cycle it has hit me. Im supposed to be O today and I am sure I am plunty off ewcm And all weekend since friday I have brought it up by being very sexual and not saying anything else, because he said the pressure was etting to him about two months ago. well anyways he had an excuse every day about why he couldnt get busy said he was to tired said he didnt feel good tonight he said it was to cold. He is such a jerk I just relized he is playing me and he truly doesnt want this like I do. He told me last month he was going to focus more and we would concive soon and he would put everything into it. He told me to buy the prenatals and vitex. but he wont touch me when Im O I am so angry and hurt all together. i AM SO FOCUSED AND COMMITED AND HE IS JUST BSING ME TO TELL ME WHAT i WANT TO HEAR.  He doesnt know how much he is hurting me. Not only that we are barley bd to begin with how can I be such a fool and think I could get this. Part of me wants to just find any man and concive. I know its wrong but I want a baby so bad . I could just scream. somebody tel me something to make me stop crying.

Prometrium is perfecty okay to take. i have had two very early m/c.  i am now 23 wks pregnant, and this pregnancy had the same symptoms of the last two beginning at 4wks.  devestated.  but my dr prescribed prometrium until i was 12 wks, and look where it got me!!!!!!!  so, don't worry about taking it.  my dr. believes it saved my daughter!
Hey, I just read your other question about douching after sex.  Douching after sex does absolutely nothing to prevent pregnancy.  The douch actually doesn't go that far into your vagina, just cleans around the walls of the vagina, not as deep as the sperm go toward the cervix.  Actually, I have read it can help pregnancy along, sort of.  I read if you want a boy, douch right before sex because it changes the ph of your vagina to a ph that is prefferable to the Y sperm.  Otherwise, I wouldn't douch at all because of this change in ph.  Your vagina usually has an acidic ph which kills most bacteria and keeps you infection free down there, so if you douch alot, you're more susceptible to infections.  

Why would you douch right after sex if you're ttc?  If you douch right after sex (like within a couple of minutes) you might wash a couple of stray sperm out, but not enough to prevent pregnancy.  If you douch 6-8 hours after sex, the sperm have already made their way up and it's not going to affect anything.
Sorry to hear about your loss.  for me it was one of the hardest things i ever went through.  however, congrats on pregnancy with the twins!  is all going well?  i know its all in my head, and i drive my husband crazy, but  i can't help it.  i often wonder if i had never had the 2 m/c how neurotic would i be with this pregnancy?  we ended up renting a doppler, and whenever i need to settle my worries i listen to her heartbeat.  it helps, but i often feel as though i am just waiting for something bad to happen.  so far, i have spent more time worrying than enjoying my pregnancy. i will keep you and your babies in my prayers!  Sorry everyone, i should have posted this on the open forum!
butterfly wings - You scare the bejeesus out of me.  I am 7w1d preg with my second pregnancy after MC (failed preg #1).  Twins.  I lost twns the first time around and am now preg again with twins.  I cannot think about anything.  Every single twinge, feeling, etc. is totally freaking me out.  I thought once I got past the 6w3d milestone it might abate a little - it's only gotten worse.  I said to DH last night, "Jeez, how psychotic do you think I will be at 23 weeks if I can barely handle the 7th week?"  I feel for you, it's all in our heads, but I am right there with you on this!
sorry to piggy back, but everytime i try to post a question, i get a message telling me there is no room left.  I really don't have a question, i guess i am looking for some words of comfort.  i am 23 weeks along.  i had spotting at 4 weeks and my dr put me on prometrium. the spotting stopped within 24 hrs, and my pregnancy has progessed as normal.  however, i had 2 m/c before this pregnancy @ 5 and 7 weeks.  even though my dr says all is fine, i can't help but to constantly worry.  about everything.  with every little twinge i can't help but wonder if she is ok, and i expect the worse.  anyone ever been in a similar situation, and how did you cope with your constant fears and calm yourself?
I am 7 weeks 1 day too. Due 9-10? I got pg again this time... m/c twins in Dec and got pg again before my next period. I worry about everything too. I am glad it isn't just me. Have you had an u/s and seen the heartbeats yet? Dr says m/c risk drops dramatically after that??? Hope so, thst is all I have to go on! Good luck!
Butterfly wings, were you nervous to go off prometrium at 12 weeks?  I'm on metformin for pcos and prometrium for low progesterone and have to start going off both of them next week -- I'm really nervous.  I've already had 3 miscarriages, the 1st at 15 weeks and the other 2 very very early.  Obviously things worked out well for you when going off the pro, congratulations!  But how did you get through going off the meds???  More from an emotional perspective than a physical one, but did you have any physical side effects?  Did you ween yourself off or stop cold turkey?  HELP!
I am 12 weeks, 3 days pregnant and stopped taking Prometrium last night. I was taking 100mg twice a day. Anyway, I've had some AF like cramps, not the super strong ones I get right before AF comes, but constant, uncomfortable cramps that are that I always get a day before AF comes. There hasn't been any blood, and I hope it stays that way. Has anyone else experienced this?
Sorry it tok so long to get back to you, but I usually only go online on Mondays!  I was very nervous to go off the prometrium.  I spoke with my dr (he was very understanding and patient with all of my questions - i had to switch drs because we moved to another state).  He told me that by 10 weeks my body, if working correctly, was already producing enough progesterone to support the pregnancy.  And by 10 wks, the amount needed to support the pregnancy was more than he could possibly prescribe.  So, in short, if the my body still wasn't producing the progesterone needed, at that point I would have miscarried already.  To help ease my worries though, he kept me on it until 12 weeks.  He stopped me cold turkey and i had no side effects because of that.  so, from what i was told by my dr, if you are far enough along where they can take you off it, i wouldn't worry.  your body is already producing way more than what your presciption is!  Good luck, and i know you won't have any problems going off it!
Hi everyone.  I am a new user, so please forgove me if my questions aren't phrased accurated.

My husband and I have been trying to conceive for over 12 months.  About 6 months ago my husband was diagnosed with a varicocele and he is only just accepting it.  We have been referred to a specialist for assisted insemination, and after our first consulation he was very encouraging.

I have been worried, however, that we might be affected by more than the sperm count.  I have not been very successful with predicting O, and rarely get a darker line on the ovulation kits. The Dr ran some bloodwork and then called this week to advise me to immediately start a course of prometrium.

Everything I have read about it on these forums indicates that it should be taken by pregnant women (but not those trying to conceive).  It is only the first week that we have seen this Dr, and I wonder if this means there is something more sinister wrong with me OR that he thinks we might be pregnant.

Any advice or personal experience would be most appreciated.

My Dr has asked me to take vaginal prometrium once I start to O. When is the best time to take prometrium..i mean since i will be ovulating we will be having intercourse during that time too..so is it better to take prometrium after having sex  or before or when...? Please help.... Any input on vaginal prometrium will help...
Hi everyone,
This is my first time ever posting a comment.  I just want to say how excited I am about hearing of the success of the prometrium that you have been having.  I had 2 m/c one at 10 1/2 wks and the other at 8 wks just 6 mo apart from each other.  We are now almost 7 weeks pregnant with our 5th pregnancy.  Yes I am nervous but things are looking better. Had been spotting and cramping at about 5 wks just like the other 2 but my dr. put me on prom. to help my uterus.  ? For you.. is it normal to have cramps when you are up and moving and then lying down makes them go away.  It is painful to move around too much and I am not 1 who is a complainer.  Good luck to you all and you are in my prayers.

amber28
Hello I am new to this.  I am have been online trying to understand what Prometrium is.  I have read all the stories so here goes mine.  I have a 9 yr old and I desperatly want a baby now because my daughter is getting so old.  The reason my doctor put me on rhis drug is to help induce my period.  I had depo twice once in May of 04 and once in Aug of 04.  I never had it since so it took away my period.  So all this time I haven't had on w whcih has been fine, but now my boyfriend and I want a baby but I am not ovulating.  Ihave been taken this for 4 days and I already have cramps and some spotting. I got a 13 day supply. I am also taking Menest to help with my Estrogen level. So what exactly does it do?  Does it help keep a baby after miscarrying?  I need to ovulate to get pregnant.
I had an ectopic pregnancy in Nov. and had my 1st ms at the end of dec. I have not had a ms since, so my doctor has prescribed the prometrium for 12 days. Today is my last dose. I am hoping this works. The part that is mind bogging to me is that I am contiously gaining weight. Every one keeps asking me I am expecting. Some of my nurse co-workers think that I should have an ultrasound done to make sure I am not pregnant. I have taken the otc pregnancy tests and they all say negative. Has anyone had an experience similar?
Hello Everyone.  I have been trying to get pregnant for over 2 1/2 years.  My husband is fine, but I do not get my period so I have been given provera and prometrium before to induce periods and have tried many round of clomid via pill form.  We just did our first IUI and I have had some weird symptoms since they did the insemination.  They also have me on 200mg of Prometrium everyday, so I am wondering if that is causing my symptoms or if maybe I finally go lucky and am pregnant.  My symptoms have been, cramping since insemination,having to go to the bathroom a lot,a little breat tenderness and in the the 1st week I had a lot of cervical mucis.  I have taken two at home pregancy test and they have both come back negative, but it is pretty early.  I go in for my blood test on the 23rd to find out if I may be pregnant.  The waiting to find out is killing me.  I don't know how many times I can go thru this!  Any thought or words of wisdom?
I just began taking prometrium vaginally, and am a little unsure if I am doing it correctly.  I apologize for the bluntness of my question, but how far in do I place it?  And I found some had leaked out onto my pad, does this generally happen?

Thanks for your help.
My nurse told me to insert it just as far as you would a tampon. And she told me that I was would find an orangish discharge in my panties in the morning(I was told to take this at night) and that is was because of the coloring on the capsule.
I've been taking prometrium for nearly two weeks.  2 pills 2x a day.  It's much better than the progestrone shots that I took my last two cycles!  You get some discharge, but nothing that a panty liner can't take care of.

Oh, and if you have a strong bowel movement, your body could possibly spit out the shell of it!!  I asked the doc and they said it's okay b/c the body took what it needed.
hi, this is my first time.  i am 5 wks preg and taking prometium.  this is my fourth pregnancy and have one child who will be one next month.  i have taken prometrium every pregnancy and again now.  my doctor told me my levels were hcg 698 but prog was 6.3 not good.  i hope it will be ok.  can't handle another loss.
Hello to all,
Not sure of all the abreviations so please bear with me I am a newbe!!!  I have had 2 really early m/c's and my Dr. put me on 1 baby asprin a day and 200mg prometrium vaginally daily just this week after ov.  Do any of you know what the side effects of this durg is??  Is it going into your blood stream?? How far should I put it in??  Is there an applicator on the market for this?  Should I have any repert bloodwork??  Thanks so much it is good to know there is people ot there that have had success with this.  My hope and best to you all.
Jamie
I've had two m/cs and my doctor prescribed Prometrium and Baby Aspirin daily as soon as I got a + pg test.  I got a + test a week ago (YEAH)and began taking the two meds right away.  My pharmacy put on the label take 200mg Prometrium oral capsules 2x daily or as directed.  I kind of feel like 400mg might be too much.  What dosages of oral capsules have others been prescribed. I'm going to call my doctor on Monday, just kind of worried about it now.  Any thoughts or feedback is much appreciated. Thanks and good luck to everyone!!
I had 2 MC last year and my doctor has put me on 200mg of Prometrium and extra folic acid. I just had a sono on 5/18 and it showed 6 wks 1 day WE HAVE A HEARBEAT.  So i go back on 6/1 for another sono.  I really think the Prometrium is helping.

Also I freaked out when the label said do not take while pg and I was told it was ok.  Whatever your doctor is telling you to take I would.
Hi - I have a prometrium question.  I have very long cycles with the second half (after ov) being only 5 - 9 days.  My doctor prescribed 200mg of prometrium (vaginally) starting at ov.  Now, I am about 14 days after ov, no period, my temps are still high but I don't think that I am pregnant (I've been there before) and had a negative test two days ago.  My question is:  can you get your period while still taking prometrium?  My doctor recommended continuing the prometrium, waiting 3 more days and testing for pregnancy.  If neg, wait 5 more days test again, if neg come off prometrium and I'll probably get a period.  Has anyone gotten their period while on prometrium?  Can prometrium just delay getting my period and I'm still not pg?  THANKS!
I have premature ovarian failure and vivelle dot and prometrium can this help to jump start my period? has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
Hi mom 36- I m/c about 10 weeks ago and I still had not gotten my period so he put me on prometrium for 10 days, 200 mg.  It was interesting because the nurse told me I should get my period within 5-10 days after going off the prometrium but I ended up getting my period the 5th day I took the prometrium.  I was supposed to start Clomid 50 mg. on day 5 of my cycle so I called her because I thought it would be weird to keep taking the prometrium while taking clomid at the same time.  She told me that even though the doctor had told me to finish the prometrium no matter what, I should only take 2 more pills and so that way I would have 2 days between the prometrium and starting clomid.  So as you can see, you can, indeed, get your period while taking prometrium.  But this is so confusing to me!
I got AF after taking prometrium for 2 days.  I then started Clomid on day 3.  But nurse at my OB told me to keep taking the prometrium.  So I did for 2 days then called the OB directly.  He said to stop taking prometrium and finish the last 3 clomids.  I asked why the nurse told  me to keep taking???  And does this mean that the clomid will not work because I took Prometrium with it?  He said that the prometrium would not affect the clomid.  I'm not convinced.  Any thoughts on this?  I'm really upset about this and angry at this nurse!
Hello all I am too diagnosed with preovarian failure so Nikki you are not alone. I am hoping it will jump start something because I want to get pregnant.