Maternal & Child Community
Prometrium

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Prometrium

I have a quick question why did my doctor put me on prometrium (which i've ALWAYS taken in the past to basically force a period out of me when i hadn't had one in months) recently to help w/ my progesterone levels? I am about 6 weeks along and had a miscarrriage in june due to deathly low progesterone levels hints why they look action so quick and put me on this pill. What scares me is on the bottle of the prometrium it specifically says "do not use this medicine if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant." I called the pharmacy and explained the whole situation and he said it was fine to be on this drug, it's used for many things. Anyways it has helped my quant and progesterone levels double every week but i'm just wondering how thats possible.
Also I've been getting these pains (not stabbing and they come and go) every day in my lower stomach but as soon as i go to the bathroom or fart (hehe) i seem to feel better. Should i be nervous about any of this? Oh and 1 last thing, i go in for my 1st ultrasound monday and i'm really nervous they're not going to hear/see anything b/c i'm too early on. I feel like cancelling my appt and asking for it to be rescheduled for another 2-3 weeks so then i'll find out a for sure. Any suggestions on the book i've just typed???
I was put on Prometrium myself in the past and I was also concerned about the caution on the bottle.  I've done research on it and the research seems to be unsure whether progesterone supplements really help or not.  Although some say that low progesterone is indicative of a miscarriage and not the cause, I did not read anything negative on being on progesterone supplements when you're pregnant.  In my case, unfortunately, I had a miscarriage anyway.  (I've actually had four miscarriages in the last year and 1/2).  I've also read that you should see a heartbeat on ultrasound by 6 weeks 5 days.  With my last miscarriage I was on pins and needs because we did not see a heartbeat at 6 weeks.  We did see one at 7 weeks although it was very slow.  Unfortunately, at 8 weeks the heartbeat had stopped and the fetus had stopped growing.   If I had to do it over again, I would waited to have that first ultrasound done.  As for the pains, I had a ton of gas, and I think that it's very normal when you're pregnant.  Anyway, I'm sure everything will be fine.  Please let me know how it goes.  Good luck!!
I just had my DD 3 mos ago and suffered 2 m/c prior to getting pregnant with her. I was on prometrium for the first trimester. It is ok to be on when pregnant if your Dr. puts you on it. As for the pains, I am sure it is gas but I had cramping throughout my pregnancy. Try not to stress....yea right. :)
Like the other said, it's perfectly fine to take the Prometrium despite the warning on the label if your dr orders it.  I too called the pharmacy after reading it, but it's just a precaution they're required to put on there-- it's been used for pregnancy for years.

Prometrium is progesterone.  Progesterone naturally slows down your GI tract, which obviously then allows the food to break down longer/further and produces more gas.  I would bet that the pains you're feeling is just that- gas, and that's why it feels better when you do let one rip! LOL!!  Sadly, get use to it...your body will continue to make progesterone and you'll be a gassy girl throughout your whole pregnancy.  (Usually dr's allow you to stop Prometrium sometime around 12-14wks, as by that point your body should be making a higher level than even the supplimental pill can give you... basically, by that point if your progesterone levels aren't high enough, there's nothing more a dr can do.)

I had 2 mc's back-to-back with low progestrone levels.  When I got pg again, my dr immediately put me on Prometrium even before my blood results came back (which again were low!), and with the supplimentation (and also taking a daily baby aspirin), I was able to carry to term a healthy baby boy.  I'm now pg with baby boy #2, and again with this pg I was on Prometrium for the first 12 wks.  Actually, I started taking Prometrium this time before I'd even gotten a BFP... if I had gotten a negative, I'd simply have gone off of it until my next cycle and when I'd ovulated.

As for being nervous about the ultrasound on Monday... perfectly normal.  I'm still nervous about going for mine-- and I'm 32 wks along!!  If you are currently 6 wks, by Monday you should be almost 7, so a dr should see something.  I had my 1st ultrasound with this pg at 5 wks, and even then he could see an embryo, fetal pole and yolk sac.  Just think positive and how exciting it will be when you hear that "whoo-whoo-whoo" noise of the baby's heartbeat coming across the screen.  I always cry when I hear it!! :)  If it does turn out to be too early and there's no heartbeat yet, your dr will undoubtably just schedule you for a repeat one in a week; that's what they did with me.  Waiting 2 wks will just drive you crazy, and personally, I'd rather know sooner rather than later if there is a problem.

Good luck!!!