Maternal & Child Community
Putting your babies on their tummies?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Putting your babies on their tummies?

Hello ladies, just a quick question. At what point should I start putting my exactly 3 months old DD#2 on her tummy and for how long or is it still too early? She is a big baby 14lbs and has been holding her head up really well for a while...I am just not sure about putting her on her stomach. Thanks
we started that early.  they have those mats that have a lil pillow attached so their head doesnt just lay on the ground.  we did lay our lil guy on blankets and such though w/out a pillow.  briefly and with a close eye, but those lil pillow are great.  we started out slowly.  he would only tolerate tummy time for so long.  As he got stronger and stronger...he loves tummy time!!  good luck.  
You can also use your boppy for tummy time.  gives them support and they are able to see a little better.
They make a lot of the floor mats with pillows to help with tummy time.  Mirrors are good too - just make sure they are baby safe.  

The earlier you start with tummy time, the easier it will be for both you and baby.  I had to wait until my daughter was 6 months because she was in a brace and not able to lay on her tummy.  We had a very hard time getting her to try it.
"Tummy time" is good for babies even as early as a week.  It helps strengthen the neck muscles and as long as you are there with them and not letting them sleep, then everything should be good.
My baby is only 2 weeks 3 days and Ihave been putting him on his tummy since week 1, as my pediatrician said that it is the only way for his neck muscles to stregthen (sp???)
Hey girl, I'd say now is a good time.  Your ds will lwt youknow when she is done.  Gavin hates it but we make him do it daily even just for a few minutes.
I agree, the earlier the better. Don't be afraid to get on you tummy too, babies love to look at their mommy. My advice, allbeit obvious, is to not do it after they have eaten ; ) My babies all started within a week of birth, initially just a few minutes here and  there. My 2nd and third both started rolling back to tummy at 3 weeks (freakish, I know) so with them all I had to do is lay them on their backs on their boppy and within a few minutes they were on their tummy!! In fact, CJ actually takes the opportunity to scoot across the floor once he flips over. I can lay him on his back and before i stand up again, he is on his belly and starting to scoot!
My sons physical therapist told us to start from the begining. Tummy time is important so they can develope those muscles. Is she doens't like it then lay down with with her, put some toys down. Try and make it fun for her. If she doens't like it then just a few min. several times a day will be fine untill she builds up strength. Sooner than later she will realise it's fun to be on her tummy and she will be able to start to creep around. If she likes to be on her tummy then let her play like that for as long as she likes.