Maternal & Child Community
Question about Low Progesterone pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My Dr. recently checked my progesterone levels (TTC) and it was 1.7.  She told me this was very low and that I'm probably not ovulating.  She wants me to wait two more months (This was the first month trying and I recently went off of BCP) if I'm still not pregnant she wants me to go on Clomid.  

My questions is what happens if I do get pregnant in the next couple of months - I know that low progesterone can cause a miscarriage and I don't want that.  

I'm also nervous about Clomid.  Any advice????

Thanks!
I had low progesterone when I got pregnant.  I'm not real sure how it works but for some reason I never got a positive on a pregnancy test.  I felt pregnant but got negatives on the HPTs until I was tested at the Dr.s office, at which time I was 6 wks along.  

I was under the assumption, while I was pregnant, that my biggest concern w/ having low progesterone, was in regard to building the amniotic sac.  Without enough hormones the body fights to build the home for the baby.  Which is why you're in the clear after the first trimester.  I was on bed rest until my levels came up to a relative norm but I was on  progesterone itself for the entire first trimester.  However, there was a lot of pain coming from both of my ovaries, during that time.  Pain I'd never felt before.  Which was also normal, just my body working on building that sac.    

You'd feel that pain or other symptoms before you'd have a miscarriage.  You'd also sense that you're pregnant, maybe tenderness in the breasts or other symptoms.  Those clues will lead you to act more cautiously in every day life.  I would stop all heavy activity at this time, just in case you do get pregnant.  But I wouldn't worry too much about having a miscarriage, having low progesterone is very common.  Every girlfriend I know had low levels during their first pregnancies and we were all on the pill for most of our young adult lives, which I believe is a huge contributor.

If you're not ovulating, you WILL have a very low progesterone level.  Clomid will help (should help) you ovulate, and your progesterone level should go up accordingly, just from the fact you ovulated.  It will go up more if you conceive a healthy, normal pregnancy provided there are no other problems.  

i had the same thing. if your levels are less than 9 after CD 22 than you aren't 'o'ing. even if your progesterone levels are low after a confirmed 'o' there is a good chance you can carry just fine. it isn't that you have a low progesterone level....the problem is you aren't ovulating. you only get a raise in progesterone after you ovulate. i used clomid to force me to ovulate and it worked great. i had 2 confirmed ovulations with progesterone levels above 11. i am now 'o'ing on my own and have a luteal phase defect that requires progesterone suppliments after ovulation. more than likely your doc will give you the clomid and once you have ovulated he will give you progesterone to take till your period or 12-14 weeks PG to be safe. good luck and i hope the clomid works.

love....kimmie

I am 27 and have just found out I am pregnant. It was unexpected, so I was shocked at first and then thrilled. After my initial blood tests and checks (which came back with good results- all hormones levels were good), I started spotting and cramping. I called my doctor and she sais she wanted me in for more tests. The results indicated my progesterone levels had dropped. She didn't put me on any medication right away as she wanted to keep on taking blood tests. I just received the last one and as my levels are still dropping she has given me a prescription to help progesterone levels rise (can't recall the name now). I am very anxious and scared. Has anyone had a similar situation and had a successful pregnancy?

I would greatly appreciate any/all feedback- please!
I have had 4 pregnancies, two of which were successful and the other two ended in miscarriage.  I have had issues with low progesterone with each one.  My last pregnancy, I was on 200mg twice a day of Prometrium (orally) and I have a beautiful one year old boy.  I do believe the progesterone supplementation works, but I also think that you have to be very proactive with it.  Because I know that is an issue for me, as soon as I get a positive on the hpt, I call the doc and ask for the labs to be done.  I am monitored from that point on until I hit the end of my first trimester.  Anyway, if it is Prometrium you are on, that is the best thing (or it was last year).  Out of my 4 pregnancies, I took the progesterone supplement with 3 and I've had two successful pregnancies.  Good luck, and I hope things work out for you to have a long 9 months!
I am 27 y/o and just found out on November 11 that i am pregnant (1st pregnancy).  My husband and i have been trying for little over 6 months.  I went on Nov 11 for a blood test ,immediately after finding out i was pregnant through a HPT.  I went for my 1st vaginal sono on Nov 28, we were able to see a yolk sac but nothing more than that.  My DR said i was less pregnant than he thought iw as based on my last period (Oct 7).  HE said i was about 4 weeks gestational and that it was too early to see a heartbeat.  HE then requested that i go give blood again to see how my levels were.  At around 10pm on 11/29, my Dr called to inform me that my progesterone level had dropped a little since my last blood test 11/11. My level is 7.27 and they like you to be around 15...However, he did say that some women could carry a level of 7,8,or 9 and still have a healthy pregnancy. He said he was calling in a prescription for Prometrium 200mg taken once a day to a 24 hr pharmacy and that i was to start taking it immediately.  He told me that i shouldn't be alarmed,,,however, i can't stop thinking that something is wrong.  I have not spotted at all, and since taking the meds, i feel a little crampy.  Has anyone ever experienced this?  Should i be concerned?  I know the prometrium is used for the environment of the pregnancy to build the uterus up to hold the pregnancy but i still can't help but be nervous that i will miscarry.  i am scheduled for another vaginal sono on 12/8.  Hopefully this will give me a visual of a heartbeat adn waht is going on inside.  Wish me luck!  Hope all goes well next week :)
Im 5 week pregant.My hcg levels are good ,but my Progesterone was low at 6.8
My doctor gave me progesterone pills and in 4 days the level went up to 18.
Im very scared because Im not sure if everything is Ok.
Is low progesterone related to future miscarriage of fetal problems??Can I still have a normal pregnancy ?
when i got pregnant with my daughter my progestrone was low but my doctor gave me progestone shot for 3 months and i had a healthy baby girl she is now 4 months good luck.
I am 28 y/o and was on the bc pill for at least 10+ years. I am now married and went off the pill last December (2007) to try and have a baby.  I never had a normal period from the time I stopped the pill, some months I didn't even have one. I fianlly went to the doctor, they put me on Clomid to jump start my period, it did nothing.  I went back in to the gyno and they told me my progesterone level was .6.  Yeah, .6.  They are now putting me back on the pill w/ a high estrogen level for two months and then at the end of two months I start a strong dose of fertilization pills.  If that doesn't work, I do the whole process over again for one more month.  Has anyone else had this low of proges. and gotten pregnant?  I have a fear that there is some other underlying problem...what causes it to be so low?  Could it be because I was on the pill for so long?  If I do get pregnant, can I even carry it to term w/ it be so low?
Don't panic, I was on the bill for over 12 yars and never had a regular period.  the bill will regulate your cycle and build up the hormones that you need.  I am currently pregnant (only 6 weeks) but my progesterone is low.  They have put me on prometrium one a day until 12 weeks and told me to rest whenever possible.  I have already had three beautiful children!  Chances are they may even start you on prometrium while your trying to get pregnant.  it is however very important that you relax and not be stressed out. chemical imbalances can be fixed with medication.  Only you can control your stress level!
I also have low progesterone. I had a miscarrige over the summer. I asked my RE if she thought the reason I had the miscarrige was b/c of the low prog. She said no. If you are able to conceive a healthy baby then your prog would be high enough to support the preg. She told me that most miscarriges happen b/c the fetus is not viable or has a birth defect and wouldnt be able to survive. I am now on Clomid and hope to get preg soon... Good Luck Everyone!
my progesterone level was low at 6.5 when i was believed to be about 5 wks pregnant. my hcg levels were okay and going up but they were ssaying im only about 3-4 weeks. but since they are going up my dr put me on 200mg of prometruim once a day and im so nervous. i really hope it goes up but i just had a miscarriage 5 wks ago. how could i be 5 wks prego? so i now have a high risk dr and she thinks that level could be okay for the first few wks of pregnancy. she said it fluctuates so much depending on the time of day you take it and what  you've ate. so ive been on the prometruim for 2 days now and i go for my first ultrasound tommorow. gosh im so nervous cause even if everything is okay theres still a chance they wont see anything on an ultrasound.
I am a 23 yr old at ttc for 8 months. I went to the doctor last week and my progesterone level was 9.9. According to the doctor if the level is below 15 you didn't possibe. Is it possible I could have ovulated?
Yes.  You did ovulate if the levels are within 1-10.  If levels and BBT continues to elevate then you have a good chance of a BFP!  Good luck!

Sarah
Hi everyone! Please help I'm very scared... at week 5 I went to my obgyn and had blood work my progesterone was 14.7 and I had good hcg levels. I was soo happy! Then 5 days latter I started to spot with no pain. I had blood drawn and my progesterone was down to 6.7 at week 6!!!!the hcg levels were normal. I was given progesterone vaginal inserts of 100mg at night. I had my blood drwn 2 day friday (2 days latter) but results won't come in till Monday since my drs office is closed on Saturday. im still spotting and now i have mild cramps. What are the chances my baby will survive? Anyone out there with similar situarion?
Im 33 and I have tried everything to become pregnant
I am 24 years old and I had a epic topic preg when I was 22. Now I just found out I have low progesterone!!! Does that mean I can't have kids. ???  
Birth control pills are bad news. It pumps your body with alien hormones that shouldn't be there making your body think it's pregnant all the time. Bad news is if you are on it for too long it can also make you sterile and increase your chances of cancer.