Maternal & Child Community
Question about Trisomy 16

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Question about Trisomy 16

I had a m/c in February and I had another one just 2 weeks ago, my dr suggested to have a D&C so they could send the tissue away to be tested.  My test came back the other day and it was Trisomy 16.  I will be 39 in December.  Has anyone had 2 m/c with Trisomy 16 around my age and then was able to carry full-term?
Do you know for sure the first one was due to trisomy 16?

I lost my last baby to trisomy 21 (downs).  I've had three miscarriage in the last year and a half.  All for different reasons (partial mole, heart quit for no apparent reason, and trisomy 21)  I am currently 14 weeks pregnant and everything is ok with this pregnancy so far.  I've had quite a bit of testing done to make sure.  It is definately possible to have healthy babies after trisomy babies.

I'm very sorry for your losses.  It's very difficult to go through.  Be gentle with yourself and good luck with the next pregnancy.
I am TERRIBLY sorry for your loss Debbie.  Trisomy is an ugly word to me now, after finding out at 13 weeks my baby had trisomy 13.  It puts the fear of God in me.  I had to go for an u/s today because I am still bleeding after the d&c and I was discussing the incident rate with her (u/s tech) as she worked in a high risk clinic.  She said it is pretty much unheard of to have a trisomy pregnancy back to back, even at my age (we talked about the rise in b/d's after 35 and I am 39, she said it is so very rare to have to deal with this twice).  Hopefully that is encouraging news for you.  Have you had karotyping done with your mate?  There is a possibility of a balanced chromosone abnormality, you both should probably tested if you are planning to ttc.  Good luck to you and baby dust!
The first m/c we didn't have tested, so I don't know if that was Trisomy 16 or not.  Me and my DH both had a lot of blood work done and they said there is no chromosone abnormality.  I will find out more tomorrow as I see my doctor for my follow-up.  This way I will know exactly what all the blood testing was done for and what all they have tested for already.  But another thing is that I became fertile before I got my AF, so with my luck I may be preggo sooner then I think, I'm having no problems at all conceiving, plus my cervix was high this morning and slightly open.  When I went in for my D&C, my doctor told me to wait one cycle, just so they could have a good estimated due date, well I told her that if I saw EWCM before my period that I was going for it and she told me to "GO FOR IT"  She also told me that I would be very fertile after my D&C.  I will keep everyone posted.
i had a friend her baby and all previous mis/c had trisonomy 18 and the last baby she carried to seven months but she stopped growing and 6 moonths and when she was born she was so tiny and had low set ears her feet were basically in the shape of a U and she was born with out a right forearm. i am sorry if that is to graffic for you but from what the doc said after she was born was there was nothing that she could have done (she was an alcoholic and smoked pot) to change this it was in hers and the fathers genes ask your doctor if you can be tested for the gene and they can tell you if there is a chance that you could have another baby with the same diagnosis. i am sorry for your loss and i hope that you have better luck in the future.
~Amanda
Debbie,
I am sorry to hear of your loss and my deepest sympathy goes to you and your family.  Trisomy 16 is one of the most common chromosome problems seen in first trimester miscarriages.  It results from the misdivision of chromosomes at the time of egg or sperm formation.  Although everyone has a chance of having a baby with a chromosome problem the risk increases as women get older (although misdivisions can occur in the sperm).  Even so, the odds are always in your favor to have a child who does not have a chromosome problem.  
Available data suggests that once a trisomy occurs the chance of having another pregnancy with a trisomy is one percent. I believe that this information came from looking at families in which a baby with Down syndrome was born and some people will argue that trisomy 16 is not compatible with life and, therefore, the risk should not be increased.  In any case, at age 39 the chance of having a baby with a chromosome problem is about one in 80 (1 1/2 percent).  This is greater than one percent and this is the risk that would be given to you.  Prenatal testing is available and you might want to consider meeting with a genetic counselor who can review this information with you in greater detail, talk about prenatal testing options and review your family and medical histories to identify any issues that might be a concern. There are also numerous testing that can be offered to women who have experience repeat losses.  Blood chromosome testing on both partners is one of the tests, although primary trisomy 16 is less likely to be due to a rearrangement of your chromosomes or the father of the baby's chromosomes. Your doctor can most likely get you in contact with a genetics center.  
Bottom line....even though there is a risk and even though that risk increases slightly each year, the odds of having a baby who does not have a chromosome problem are always in your favor!  Good luck and take care of yourself.
iHave a question.. iJust had a blood test last week and it came back that my baby is 1 out of 231 of being at risk of DS now i have to go to a bigger hospital to find out if the test was right or wrong ina week. im stressing. do you know what the chances are of my baby having ds? im so young. only 19 :/