Maternal & Child Community
Question about baby lung development when induced early.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Me again!!!! Sorry to post 2 days in a row. As most of you now know I am to be induced at 35 weeks. Do you think the doctor will give me the steroid injections to ensure that Quinns lungs are mature at birth? I worry that at 5 weeks early they may not be fully functioning. I will also ask the doc at my next appt but was wondering if any of you who have delivered early had these injections and if so how was the outcome.

Also honest opinions since I am nervous do you think she will be okay to be born at 35 weeks??? Maybe a little on the small side but I sure hope healthy enough to come home with Mom and Dad. I know the doctor needs to do what is best for me and Quinn but I sure wish they would let her stay until at least 37 weeks.
My sister-in-laws sister was induced at 25 weeks due to high blood pressure, the baby was fine, I don't know about checking his lungs though, just thought I'd share a good outcome with you, I will keep you and your baby in my prayers :-) God bless
I don't think the doc's will do anything to put little quinn at risk! Just relax ( i know easier said) My little girl was 4 weeks early and she was fine! Just a little underweight! Lungs were great even though she was only 5 pounds 4 oz. I was able to take her home 2 days after I had her! I would ask the doctor about all of your concerns! Hopefully he will put your mind at ease that little Quinn will be fine! Good luck!
http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_calendar/week35.html   Try this site, it helps ALOT to track the development of the baby...babies sorry. QUINNS! WOW! That's awsome, i'll pray for your sanity (LOL).
hahaha! No Quinn is her baby's name!  Just one baby!
LOL, Sorry, I'm blonde if that helps
Harley,
just make sure you express all of your worries at your next visit and do not let your Dr. to blow your worries away! It is your baby and even though he/she must know what is the best for your little girl, sometimes you need to step in. When I had my first surgery, the ER Dr. was forcing me to do x-ray. I told him no way and turned out that the next Dr. on the shift (ER) said that he was just being cheap and he ordered CAT-scan. I am glad I spoke up...otherwise the outcome maight off been much different! Good luck girl
I am blonde too! I know we have our moments! LOL! She would need some serious drinks after having "Quinns"!
Hello dear. This might not help much but I was watching Babies Special Delivery and a baby was born at 33wks and was breathing just fine. I'm not sure if they will give the steriods or not. Try and hang in there hun.
harley my sis delivered both her babies at 35-36 weeks. she had the shots for preterm labor. her babies were just fine. i know its scary but at 35 weeks most babies are born perfectly fine and come right home. stay positive.
Like the other post said I dont think they would put baby Quinn at risk.My sil had my neice at 35 wks. b/c of water broke,she was 6p 18oz she's 7yrs. now & very healthy & smart.Don't worry everything will be fine!!..nanis
Hey there, I had steroid shots and delivered at 23 weeks. She of course could not breath on her own but the dr told me that without the shot she would probably not have made it. My dr told me this time around that if I need to delliver before 37 weeks that he will do an amnio to determine if the lungs are fully developed and if not then he will give me the steroids. Just make sure you ask all the questions you have. Ask about getting an amnio if you want, it might help!!!
Thanks gals I really appreciate all of your advice. I am def going to speak up and ask questions at the doctors office. I know she will be fine at 35 weeks I guess I am nervous since that is so close now. Guess I gotta do what I gotta do to make sure my BP does not worsen and if that means she is a little early I will do it.

Twins!!!! YIKES, heavens no... :)
They are inducing due to chronic hypertension and the spilling of protein into the urine.
I am sending both you and Quinn prayers.  I am sure everything will go perfectly.

Please let us nosey biddies know how everything goes.

My girlfriend recently had her baby 4 weeks early and he had pneumonia and some other infections.  However, I am almost positive that his infections had NOTHING to do with his early delivery (he even weighed over 5 pounds) -- the issue was that the mom had an infection which caused her to go into early labor.  Since this is all planned out I know you and Quinn will be absolutely fine.
good lord...i started to type this post back to you and i am having a severe case of pregnancy brain! i can't remember how to spell! and i can't even blame it on being blonde...i'm not! :o)

i was given the steroid shots during a preterm labor scare at 31 weeks to help develop my twins lungs. i got a series of 2 shots, 24 hours apart. sometimes they will be given once a week, every week, beginning at 26 weeks. the steroid shots help to develop surfectant (which helps the baby to breathe on it's own) and are most effective when given before 34 weeks. if it makes you feel any better, i'm 35w3d right now with my twins and my doctor told me yesterday that we can expect them ANY DAY (i'm already 3cm dialated)...and that they should be of a healthy size!

keeping my fingers crossed for healthy twins...AND a healthy quinn! :o)
I didn't read everyones post, but most bks claim that a babys lungs develop by 35wks w/out any further help from the DR. But theres a test they can do a to see if hers r developed & it not then they can give the steriod. DS was at 36wks & I was worried about it but the DR said he would be fine & was. No one ever offered to do the test for me, but if I were u I might ask about it at the DR office. I go next wk for my 35wk visit & I've been wondering the same thing just incase I'm ready to be put in the hosp. But w/ a girl they say girls fight harder so thats great since u r having a GIRL :) Wimpy white boys was what the nurses told us in nursing school (for some reason white male babies don't fight as hard) But thank God my little guy was fine :) Good Luck!! WE better be getting our table clothes ready time is moving on!!!!
Harley, James was born at 32 weeks, they gave me two shots of steroids in the 18 hours or so before he was born and his lungs were just fine he never needed any help breathing. There is no denying that being born early does carry some risks; babies are more prone to infection, there is a higher chance of ventricular bleeding (James had this, although the nearer to term the less of a risk it becomes)and possibly breathing or feeding difficulties. They will keep a very close eye Quinn to try and prevent any of these things and she will probably be in the NICU for a few days, see if you can take a tour of the NICU she will be in, we did and it was very reasuring to have everything explained before James arrived. The Doctors have to weigh up the risks of leaving her longer or delivering, they must think it is best for both of you that she is delivered at 35 weeks, I don't think they would make such a decision without careful thought. The most important thing you will be able to do for Quinn when she is born is give her your breast milk, even if she can't latch when she is born be sure to let Doc know you want to pump and for her to be given your milk, the colostrum in the first few days is liquid gold and very very important for premmies to help build up thier immunity. Now go and rest, stop worrying and try to enjoy the last few eeks of your pregnancy. Take care Jo.
My midwife said they like babys to be at least 33 weeks if they have to deliver early and all will be fine they would just give a steriod to mature babys lungs but at 35 weeks all will be good.
Good luck
Congrats on your twins I am sendin gprayer your way for a safe delivery and healthy babes.

c
maybe I missed something, but why are they inducing you at 35 wks?

I had PTL episodes that started at 31 wks, and I had him at 36 weeks. His lungs were fine, but he was big for his age...8 1/2 lbs. My dates weren't off, as I know exactly when he was conceived, since we planned him.

The dr's should give you an amniocentisis (sp?) just to make sure.That's what a couple of my friends had done when they had an early c-section
I'm 35 weeks I've had 2 steroid shots is it ok to go ahead and be induced