Maternal & Child Community
Question about baby's eyes & eye color...
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Question about baby's eyes & eye color...

Just kinda wondering about others' experiences with baby's eyes changing colors; Daddy has blue eyes, mama has brown eyes... baby's eyes were that dark, royal blue but now, they're turning a bluish-gray around the pupil, and that area seems to get wider every couple of days or so. I'm hoping his eyes stay blue, but afraid they'll turn brown on me-not that that's a problem, I just like blue better-LoL anyone have experience with eyes turning LIGHTER, then going darker, like to brown???
Related Discussions
25 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
164559_tn?1233711618
My dd has very dark brown eyes, they went from dark blue to brown in just a few weeks.  My ds has blue eyes and they never darkened again.

Blank
175662_tn?1282217256
My ex husband has these beautiful reddish brown eyes, and i have blue-gray eyes, and my 2nd daughter has my eyes.  Where as my first got her father's (my high school sweetheart) greenish/hazel eyes.  I'm hoping this baby gets blue eyes too, we both have blue eyes (Fiancee').
Blank
164559_tn?1233711618
Actually they can change as late as 5-7.  My dh had bright blue eyes in his primary pictures and very green eyes by 7.  

My ds has very blue eyes at 3, but it will be interesting to see if they change.
Blank
175662_tn?1282217256
I've heard that they can change up to 2-3 years, but I'm not a medical doctor.
Blank
174483_tn?1327629077
i have brown eyes, dh has green eyes, DD has blue, go figure? but hers were really dark blue when she was born, now they keep getting lighter and lighter, how old is your baby? dds doc said by 6 months they should stay the same color
Blank
My fathers eyes change colour now and he is 51 they go froma hazel coulour to a really bright blue. Weird but my nan told me its happened since he was a baby.
Blank
i think they will go brown ! brown dominates blue officaly. i have brown that sometimes look green and hubby is green , my son has no definate colour his has sections of blue green and brown so much so nobody knows what they are and the are still changing at 5 years old but are getting darker !daughter is chocolate brown at age 2 and could  not get any darker !
Blank
brown is a dominant color :( sorry.  I have brown eyes and DH has green eyes.  I love his eye color. DD was born with green eyes and I was soooo happy!  However, they're turning darker and darker with each day :(  They're more hazel now going on brown.  I am, too, hoping they'll change back to green but as I always say, all I need is a healhty child, with whatever eye color they have :)
Blank
ds was born on Jan. 31st of this year. Although I've never met him, my mother says that that steel-blue color is the color of my biological father's eyes. Last I knew they were saying that blue and brown were about equally dominant colors. Did they change their minds AGAIN?  
:-S ugggh.
Blank
i was wondering about that too.. when i was born my eyes were blue and they turn greenish hazel when i was 2 years old, now that i have a daughter when she was born her eyes were navy blue, now that she is one her eyes seems to be a dark color i cant explain it.. her dad has brown eyes, most of his family has brown except his dad which he has blue eyes, i was just wondering what color will her eyes have? blue, hazel or brown?
Blank
223520_tn?1221443883
I have brown eyes, and my bf has blue/green eyes. Our son who is 5 weeks had royal blue eyes now they look hazel but dark. I hope he doesn't have my eyes, I love his daddys eyes! But looks like they might be dark.
Blank
I have brown eyes, my husband has medium brown eyes. Our daughter was born with blue eyes, and they are turning into a lighter, brigher blue, just like her grandma's. My hb does not know his dad, but his mom's side of the family all have blue eyes. My side of the fam all have brown eyes, except for my great grandfather, he had green. You can never tell with genetics ! the more they do research on genetics, the more they find out that it's not as simple as they thought it was.
Blank
210400_tn?1325384170
I have dark brown eyes my husband has green. 1st has blue/green (my dad has blue) her eyes stayed bright blue until she was 5 then they added a green tone, 2nd dark brown, 3rd had blue eyes until a couple of months ago (18mths) they are now a dark green.
Blank
167_tn?1374177417
This eye color question always seems interesting to me. My eyes were as blue as can be when I was a baby and until I was about 7 or 8, then they became a hazel color and now they are as green as green can be. They have changed over the years. My parents both have brown eyes. Ben, my sons father has dark brown eyes and now at 4 months old Brody's eyes are dark blue, almost like navy blue I guess. I wonder if they will turn brown. It's hard to tell. I thought for sure he would have brown eyes but now I'm not so sure. Only time will tell, I guess.
Blank
93532_tn?1349374050
It was pretty easy to guess for us, dh and I both have light eyes as do both of our parents. My gram is the one deviation, she has a hazel green. So our first two had blue eyes until somewhere around 12-15 months when they turned green. So far, CJ's are still blue. I keep pulling for one of my kids to have my blue eyes, but it doesn't seem likely. Jonathan has his dad's eye color and T's eyes look just like my gram's. The only dominant gene I possess is the dimples and that used to be considered a birth defect :-) Oh that and big noggins, which was swell during delivery, let me tell you!
Blank
233562_tn?1282771982
Most of the children I know have their fathers eyes. My daughter has her fathers eyes light brown, mine are very dark, I also have my fathers eyes. A friend of mine has two boys, her first has blue eyes so does his father and her second has brown eyes like his father, she has bright blue eyes. I have the dimple gene too. From my grandmother down to my daughter we all have only one dimple and its on our left cheek, its weird.
Blank
210400_tn?1325384170
I hadn't heard the fathers eyes theory before, I have dk brown my dad has light blue.
Blank
246850_tn?1246163948
I too have very blue eyes and my dads are brown. My brothers and sisters all had brown tho. Kennedy's eyes were bluish when she was born, but turned dark almsot imediatly. She now has very dark brown eyes.
Blank
167_tn?1374177417
Do you think with Brody being 4 months old and having dark blue eyes that they still have the possibility of changing to brown, like his Dad's eyes? I don't think they will.
Blank
177988_tn?1266802499
My girl was born with dark grey eyes.  Daddy has these piercing sky blue eyes and mine are a darker shade of blue.  Her's are now dark blue and pretty much exactly what mine looked like at her age (almost 3 months).  I don't know if they will lighten up like his or stay closer to mine.  From what I understand it's more common for them to darken than lighten so I'm imagining she has my eye color.  Funny thing is we cant say "you hae mommies eyes" or "you have daddy's eyes" because hers are the color of mine but totally the shape of his... which is very different from mine!  
Blank
93532_tn?1349374050
My nephew had this beautiful blue eye color until he was about 9 months or so and then they turned brown like my SIL's! But their next son kept my brother's blue eyes.
Blank
981699_tn?1248572506
Hello my name is liz
I have a daughter that is soon to turn 21 and she was born  with one of her daddy's  very light brown eye and the other with mine (mom)  dark brown and she keeps asking me why. I told her I didn't know I just said she was suppose to be a twin but as far as I know that is not true. can you tell me Please. Liz From Jersey
Blank
203342_tn?1328740807
My husband and I both have brown eyes and brown hair. My eyes are a little lighter with yellow, my husband's are a dark brown. The interesting thing is my oldest boy and my youngest son have gray/green hazel eyes and light brown hair and my daughter got the dark brown eyes and hair. My husband's father had green eyes so we think there's a gene that must kick up that color once in awhile. Also, my grandparents had hazel/gray eyes. I had always been told brown dominates too but two out of three of my children got the lighter eyes and hair. It's certainly interesting how things turn out!
Blank
my husband has the most amazingly beautiful blue eyes and i do believe both of our boys have his eyes (their eyes are SOOOOO amazing!) my eyes...change colors. always have. they vary from hazel to a sea foam greenish color. the normal color is blue. an oceany type of blue.
Blank
161938_tn?1212172749
brown is dominant but does not mean they will be brown
officially hazel and green are "abnormal"  genetics meaning all eyes are either blue or brown
2 blue eyed people can only have a blue (or a genetic variation)
but since brown is dominant - you don't know the genotype - so all colors are possible depending on phenotype
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...