Maternal & Child Community
Question about wild yam

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Question about wild yam

I got my bfp over the weekend, but was immediately concerned because I had spotting the whole previous week and was still spotting some by the weekend.  I immediately started drinking raspberry leaf and wild yam tea to help with the spotting, per Susun Weed's childbearing book.  The spotting has stopped and I saw my doc yesterday and he said everything looked fine on the u/s.  I'm not far enough along to see the sac-only 4.5 weeks-but everything else looks good.  The problem is I'm afraid to stop drinking the wild yam tea because the spotting might start back but I'm also afraid to continue with it because I don't know if it is safe to drink everyday.  My doc doesn't know much about herbs.  Does anyone have any input?  Thanks in advance for any help offered.
well i took wild yam tincture til i was 13 weeks but i had spotting as well after bd and i took false unicorn as well.  This was not administered by a dr.  My ob gyn didnt know anything about it either.  I took it upon myself after speaking w/ a midwife.  I know susun weed says to drink raspberry but I stopped that because I had a previous m/c and some info I had found was contraindicated for raspberry.  I researched the heck out of all the herbs I had been taking and stuck only w/ wild yam and false unicorn.
duh!!!  congrats on the bfp!!!  and it will all be ok....i just overlooked the fact you are a new mommy, sorry!!!!
Thanks for everything!  I read one article out of what feels like a hundrend about the raspberry not being great during pregnancy.  But what is said specifically was it should not be taken alone b/c alone it may increase chances of m/c...that's why I took it with the wild yam.  I've corresponded with Karen Joy, an apprentice under Susun Weed, several times and she highly recommended the raspberry.  I feel pretty confident with it but wanted some opinions on the yam.  Most of what I read says it's okay but I found one article (again out of about a hundred!) that said it should be avoided during pregnancy.  I think I may try to go a day or two without it and see what happens.  I'll try pairing the raspberry with nettle instead.  Thanks again.  It's so nice to be able to speak with someone about herbs.  No one where I live knows what the heck I am talking about when I have herbal questions!  Best of luck with you and your bun!
ok had to ask question here sorry to interupt..but cannot ask another ? today.  I am 22 weeks prego.  At 17 weeks they did ultrasound.  They did again at 19 weeks because they could not see everything..she was too little.  I did not see dr. after my u/s last time because I was not scheduled to do so.  I went back yesterday for my regular visit and the dr. told me they needed to do another ultra sound.  They couldn't see everything because of how the baby is laying.  He told me nothing was wrong but they could not tell me everything was ok because they could not see everything.  I know they took the meaurements of the fluid on the brain and the u/s tech said it looked good and the last time they got pics of the four chambers of the heart and of the spine.  They got pics of the face the first time.  What else could they be looking for.  My doc told me not to worry but now I am.  Anyone have any words of wisdom for me!  I would greatly appricate it.  Thanks!
does the author of the herbal book provide a web address or a phone number in the book? you could inquire through an email or support staff/customer service?
i see your dilemma. too much may be harmful but in the same token you're afraid not to take it. it's a catch 22!
They also like to take measurements of the leg bones, arm bones, internal organs like the liver, kidneys, etc.  They probably were only able to see her from behind, so they just want to make sure everything's ok.  Just to let you know, I think the Women's Forum doesn't have a limit on how many questions they have, so you can post there too.  You might get more answers to this one if you did.  I might be wrong about the posting questions thing, but it seems like anytime I try to post a question there, I'm able to.  You might try.  HTH
I did email Karen Joy, the herbal book's author's apprentice, but it can take a few days to get a response and I wanted to get some opinions to help me figure out what to do in the meantime.  Thanks so much for your input!
wow..we are on the same page (no pun intended!). another thought i had...what if you called a health food store like "whole foods" and/or a massage therapist? i am sure that they would be able to provide you with some imput since they have had education in that area? the worst that could happen is they may say "i'm not sure" so it'd be worth a try.
yes, you are right about drinking the raspberry tea late in pregnancy to help the uterus contract when you are in labor. i missed that when it was mentioned in the very first post. i only thought she was talking about the yam? i don't know anything about the yam but i don't think the raspberry tea is good so early on and/or helps prevent spotting, miscarriages.
Herbal remedies are not regulated and our med dr. are not trained in the use of herbal medicine, that is why it is so hard to find reliable info about herbs.  I am 39 weeks and was using herbal teas this entire pregnancy.  There are very few med dr. who have the education in herbal/traditional medicine you can try to find one in your town.  Or go to few herbal stores and get their opinion!  You can also call the manufacturer of the herb to obtain info.
Good Luck!
I tried to go the herbal route but found it confusing to try alone with out proper supervision. I had a m/c so I was willing to try anything. I opted for an acupuncturist with extensive knowledge in herbs. I am a massage therapist so I know a little but not enough to feel confident. I took all the herbs back that I bought! Herbal teas are really pretty weak but I still drink the red raspberry. Great that you are doing your research though. Let us know what works for you!
Thanks everyone for you input and advice.  I have been reading everything on herbs during pregnancy I can get my hands on but I like to get input from others who have tried herbs to get a 360 degree view of the subject, if you know what I mean.  My little one may only be the size of a pinhead, but I sure do love it and don't want to do anything to compromise its health and safety.
I never thought of that...Thanks.  You're right.  It couldn't hurt.
I really like Karen and she does get back w/ extensive information and opinion.  Its hard to get advice at all here.  I even emailed celestial seasonings on the safety of their teas and they could only tell me to contact my dr.  I was big into nettles and backed off them as well.  Even though Karen had said they were ok.  I am weighting til my third trimester to go back to nettles and to the red raspberry tea.  I might be overly precautious but I have had some spotting up until just last week at 16 weeks after trying a tad to hard to go to the potty.  In addition I have moderate asthma and have those trouble to worry about so I am laying low on any herbs.  I take chlorella and spirulina and bioplasma along w/ acidophilus only.  I stopped the nettle and red raspberry for even the slightest chance of bleeding.  As Karen will tell you, its what you are comfortable with and if there was one incident than they have to say "should not be used during pregnancy" even if relevancy cannot be proved.  I will be thinking of you, keep me posted.
well, while bleeding has been on your mind a lot, dreaming of blood means LIFE.
i hope you find your answers and the author emails you soon. just be sure you rest a lot, take it easy, dont over-do it with activity, no lifting.
Thanks so much ladies!  Gosh, now I'm not so sure about the raspberry!  I think until I have a problem with it, I will continue drinking it.  I didn't drink the wild yam this morning.  I had a horrible dream last night that I started bleeding tons of bright red blood and tissue.  I woke up terrified.  I had my blood drawn this morning to check my beta levels.  My levels on Tuesday were 207.3 for the beta and 28.9 for the progesterone.  I was 4w 2d on Tues. and my nurse said all my levels looked fine.  Hopefully my beta doubled from Tues. to today.  Thanks for all the well wishes!