Question on SIDS
My question got lost in the open forum. I've read that 90% of SIDS deaths happen in months 2-4. Does this mean that once he turns 4 months he's out of that range, or while he's still 4 months to 5 months, he is still in that range? Thanks.
I think I read on here that someone had a friend whose baby died due to SIDS at 6 months.  I dont know when we can stop worrying about it.
I believe its six months.
Isn't it a 1yr, i seem to remember reading that somewhere. Sids is a very scary thing, it's something you have to be wary of but try not to let it control you. I knew someone who couldn't sleep, she would check her baby every 10mins. She finally had to go for some help, she just could'nt enjoy her baby for fear of losing her. I'm glad to say baby and mom are fit and healthy
It is up to 1 yr. But 90% of them happen in months 2-4. What's your opinion on the 4 month thing?
I think your ok at the 4month stage, that's just my personal opinion. Have you spoken to your doc about it. He/she will be able to give you the whole facts. Try not to worry, just enjoy your bundle of joy. Be happy:D
Thanks. I will ask her opinion about the 4 month thing. She has already reassured me that we are not high risk (there are many factors), but I still worry. The thought is incomprehensible to me so I try not to think about it, but how do you not worry?
Our Dr says for the first year.  I have a friend whose neighbor brougt her his baby that was 8 months old because he knew she knew how to do cpr.  He had passed of SIDS.  The sad thing was it was the first night that the mother went back to work.  I believe although I am not a scienctist that most of your young sids are due to accidents like putting baby on pillow or having to many stuff animals in bed with baby.  I would have never thought that a baby as old as 8 months would die of sids.  He was able to sit, crawl, turn, it just doesn't make any since.
it is a year. your chances are lower as the baby gets older and can roll away from things, or turn it head to breathe. just remember no pillows in the bed. i think the four month thing is that is around the time that a baby starts to move around more.
I remember being very scared of SIDS when i returned from the hospital with my new born baby.  It was very hard but i guess you have to learn to trust. Based from experience, nothing in the crib, no toys or pillows. True, as they get older, it will be better and safer.  Just hang in there, it part of our maternal instinct to be so concerned. I would think after a year, it will be much safer.
Hey it didnt get lost in the wash!!
I found it
I answered in the open forum..
Those other girls just dont pay attention!!...LOL....
I lost a baby boy to SIDS 17 years ago. The risk is from birth to 1 year. It declines from 6 months to 1 year. People seem to think that by putting the baby on their stomach, a pillow or stuffed animals might be a cause of SIDS. It is not. Research has proven that there is something wrong or missing in the nervous system of the baby. They literally just forget to breathe. There is nothing you can do to prevent it. I know of a mother who was breastfeeding her baby when he died from SIDS. Go to a SIDS website for research.
I'm a mother of five my youngest is now 2 months and 3 days... While dr. 's don't know the answer they can only guess we as parents need to take any and all precautions. The ideas about no stuffed animals, pillows, etc. I believe are correct. They make a baby wedge that keeps them from rolling that is a great idea... It's aproved for cribs, using one in my opinion would greatly help however you should NEVER try to substitute it with stuffing pillows under there sheet or blankett.Laying baby flat on their back in my opinion is the best way for baby to sleep also. I'm scared of SIDS to ... Beings scared makes you a better parent it shows you care and love your baby and can't take the chance ... In my opinion until they walk you should be worried. Like I said I'm a mommy of 5 I'm still scared and will be until he can walk... I myself I smoked durring my pregnancy which was bad and my baby chance of SIDS are much greater as well as someone who smokes in the house I smoke only in my kitchen with the door shut a place where he never goes. I know that will greatly reduce it.all of you have great thoughts. Spread the word as much as possible because I believe the more people who are not only aware but who are as cautious as each of you are there will be less SIDS deaths your saving lives everyday you talk to people about this.
It can actually happen after a year, although the risk is lower after 6 months. My daughter was 11 months. You can find more info here: http://***************.********.com/2013/01/sids-age-range.html