Maternal & Child Community
RISK OF MISCARRIAGE AFTER 15 WEEKS?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

RISK OF MISCARRIAGE AFTER 15 WEEKS?

hi ladies!
i have a question. i just made it to  15 weeks and 4 days pregnant, due to 2 prev. miscarriages(both before this point) i am wondering are my chances pretty good that this pregnancy will last. i went last wed. to the doctor ( which he was suppose to do an u/s but said i wasn't on the schedule for one yet so i have to wait 3 more weeks) we did hear a very strong heartbeat of about 160 and i only gained 2 more pounds! i will have an u/s done when i am 18 weeks and 5 days so should i be able to see what i am having? ok sorry i guess that was 2 questions, anyway thanks in advance for your help. i just need some peice of mind i guess!
Yes, you should be able to see what you are having!  If the baby cooperates.  Good luck!  I saw my boy at 17 wks, 4 days.
Here is a piece of mind for you!
Once the first trimester is through your chances go up greatly to have a healthy pregnancy
So your on your way!
It sounds like all is going to be fine this time for you.  Congratulations.  I was told after my m/c when I did get pg again that once you can "HEAR" the heartbeat with the doppler thingy your m/c rate goes way down.  Try to stay positive and enjoy that pg girly.   Good Luck to you
After I had miscarried two kids at 12+ weeks my OB had me go on a baby asprin (81mg)   It  helped me carry the next pregnancy to term.
Be sure to check with your OB before you start anything new...l
Shubunkin--My dearest friend--You may lye down on the couch!
CUT THEM UP NOW...Ive been there and done it!! You will spend the rest of your life paying them off
   i also had a card that I never told dh about but after a year I did-- It was stressing me out (you to probably)
There is NOTHING in the world you can possibly WANT bad enough There is a difference between want and NEED (need food , clothes and shelter)
We took from one card to pay another (sound familiar)
But now are credit card free!! (THANKS TO INHERITANCE) Or we would still be paying them..I know not everyone has a inheritance But We could have went out and blown the money it was sure tempting!! New furniture, stove, fridge etc.....
But its the first thing we did was  pay it off.
I really understand!

Now if Im right your a stay at home mom--what about a Part time job (Okay Sorry! I said JOB)
to help out?????
BUT cut them up its the only way to stop the viscious cycle

P.s. I love you know matter what!!! With a credit card or with out

blondie--thats cute about sponge bob Cody likes Mc Donalds commercials, I see you were getting in trouble on the am I pregnant post...lol.

Wisegirl --Hey what do you mean only 2! Its a record now a days to stay married ..So celebrate!!
CHEERS...Hi little Maura!
cinn......girl you sound just like me! it must be such a releif to have them paid off!!!!!!!! i do feel so guilty and it stresses me out so bad! i do clean houses on the side and that helps a little.....

mgi.......could you please come live with me a whip my family and i into shape???????????????????????
I used to do homeownership workshops for habitat for humanity.  Ii wish I could do it for a living.  I love to give advice. A friend of mine is also a SAHM  she too had a credit card problem.  i told her start by stopping charging meals out - yes youlove to eat out but control yourself!  Then she also did what cinn suggested - she got a flexible job - she has a job I can only dream of - she puts those coupon dispenssers up at grocery stores - that way if her dh is around she goes out and does it.  Another corny job is delivering those weekly ads or papers - cause you can do that with the kids if dh isn;t around.  i would love to help everyone do well financially - that would be a dream job for me too.  Right now I have a lot of people who ask me to take them grocery shopping - I do. you know I would love to come there and help you if I could!  I wish you teh best of luck!
I feel bad jumping into this discussion, but I found the comments about miscarriages interesting.

My female partner just came back with an EPT test that was positive. She's going on three weeks past her monthly, and she has swollen breasts & all the other symptoms.

This will be my first child and since I never pictured myself becoming a father for a lot of different reasons, I'm fumbling around. My partner comes from a different country where most babies are delivered by midwives, etc, and I want to make sure she gets the best care possible, but I was wondering --

What causes miscarriages most often? What can I do to prevent one happening? She's going to see an OBGYN next week, but she didn't have an OBGYN before, and neither of us knows whether they can help prevent a miscarriage or????

I'm lost. I am sorry so many of you had miscarriages; if it doesn't hurt to be asked this, what are ways that the two of us can try to avoid something like that happening? Or is it just something out of a couple's control?
Oh, let me explain, she would be the one posting on this forum, but her native language is not English.
Hi. Miscarriages are very mysterious. You can cause one by being careless, like excessive drinking, or maybe a car accident. But, my personal opinion, plus my own experience leads me to believe that most miscarriages are caused by something wrong with the fetus (baby) that the body disposes of in the first 3 months. If your partner takes good care of herself (and YES get an OBGYN or a Midwife). Midwives are great and available here in the US. Many Americans use them and if that's  what she feels good about I'd consider it for her. But she absolutely needs good medical care. A doctor can't really stop a miscarriage once it gets started, from what I know. In the later months there are more options. You need to go to the appointments with her to hear the heartbeat. Hearing the heartbeat will be a great sign that things are progressing well. Also, write down questions to ask the Dr. to put your mind at ease. Good luck.

April
Good to see you over here!  Please keep posting; we don't get a lot of male input over here.  Especially someone as insightful and articulate as you!

Miscarriages comprise about 1/4 to 1/3 of pregnancy outcomes, and the vast majority of the time it is due to a fetal reason.  Sometimes it is due to a problem with progesterone, but this is much rarer than people think.  Once the fetal heart rate is clearly heard by doppler, the statistical chance of miscarriage drops very sharply.  Usually it can be heard by 8-9 weeks of pregnancy, counting the first day of her last period at the beginning of pregnancy.  Some doctors do a lot of ultrasounds early, but midwives may not.  I'm not a fan of the current trend of many early ultrasounds.  

She should be seen soon for her initial exam and lab work, either by midwife or doctor.  Hopefully this is already scheduled.  She should obviously be taking prenatal vitamins, too.  

Please keep us updated and swing over here a lot with questions.
Thanks very much for your answers. I'll let you know how her appointment goes.

Just so you know, I may have my partner post on here using this nickname. Her name starts with M (I'll see if she's okay with using the full name), and if she does, I'll make sure she puts her name in the bottom of the message; I wanted to let you know so you don't think I'm doing some strange deception or something. Her English may be markedly different from the way I talk.

Thanks.

J
It's so good to see someone so supportive. I just wanted to say, while I have no personal experience with it, I have two friends who do. One had several miscarriages--7 or 8 in the last 4-5 years. But she also has 3 healthy kids. The other has one daughter, and ALMOST miscarried.  Both got their progesterone tested, and their doc put them on shots of it, because they were too low in the first trimester. I believe the risks lower after the first trimester. But also working at a medical lab I've seen some after that, very sad. Also here I have seen many results of chromsome tests of miscarriages, and a MAJORITY is because something was wrong with the baby and there was no way to prevent it. But also staying healthy, taking vitamins etc will help. God bless you two!! (and a half)=).

"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you;"
Jeremiah 1:4
You are both most welcome. I will look for you!
Your partner is very lucky to have someone as supportive as you, you should read up on some of the past forums on this site, there is a lot of great information for new and expecting parents.  I hope all goes well with your first OB appointment.  As one of the other ladies mentioned, it is very helpful to bring along a list of questions to ask, because sometimes you get so excited at these appointments you might forget to ask!

Best Wishes!
i had a miscarriage cause i took the morning after pills and ended up havin a miscarriage at 5 weeks 6 days there were not a heart beat, fetal poll. i am now 15 weeks pregnant, what are my chances of having a miscarriage?

nichole
by the way i had 2 healthy kids before, that the baby;s heart rate is 130 last week it was 152 i am a little worried can some one releive me worries please?
I'm going through this...

I was able to feel my baby moving at 12 weeks (4th pregnancy), for about 4 days, I feel minimal, if any movement and thinking I miscarried.  I've had healthy, normal pregnancies...for some reason with this pregnancy, I've been getting contractions non-stop when I hit 9 weeks and once the movements stopped, the contractions stopped as well?!?!  My doctor said it's ok as long as I'm not bleeding or leaking fluid, but what if my baby is dead?  I really don't want to know and I have a week before my next appointment.  

I forgot to add I'm 15 weeks now and acn't sleep at night because I can't feel anything anymore.  :(  I'm having SO much mucusy discharge that I thought was my mucus plug, but again, the doctor said it's normal and he'd see me in 9 days...AHHHH  too long for me!
momofthreecrazykids- Try not to worry too much, I know you have felt movement sooner this time because of being pregnant in the past, but your baby only weighs about 3 ounces.. My doctor told me not to start worrying about movement until 24 weeks.. and then I was worried about it then and they told me not to worry about feeling it frequently until 28 weeks.  Your baby could just be too small! and its legs and arms could be facing away from the outside of your belly so you might be getting kicked and punched up a storm in there and just not notice it.  I went to the ER at 18 weeks because I started feeling the baby move at 16 and then didn't feel anything up until 20 weeks.. But he was and is fine.. I just dont want you to be stressed about it and I know how you feel.. It really stinks (there are still days that my little Jadyn WILL NOT move when I want him to)
Dont worry until someone confirms something, but I think (and hope) everything will be fine! good luck!
this is a 3 yr old post lol....but manda, you def told her well....i went to ER 3 weeks ago cos i hadnt felt alex move at all! and he was fine...he was moving, and ALOT but for some reason *I* wasnt feeling him at all!
but he's fine, and omg almost 8 more weeks to go, and i'm antsy!!!!!