Maternal & Child Community
RSV

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

RSV

my son is 5 months old today i took him in because hes has been getting sicker. come to find the doctors told me my son has RSV can anyone out there tell me more aobut this.. thanks for your time
ksanden
RSV is a virus that is quite common at this time of the year - do whatever the doctor tells you and your little one will be good - untreated and uncared for, RSV can go into pneumonia, etc - its a lot of respiratory symptoms, similar to a cold or flu and seems to effect infants most commonly - probably because they are so small and immune systems are weak - do what the doctor says - and your little guy will be ok
What is RSV?
Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) is a common virus that causes symptoms similar to a cold or upper respiratory tract infection. It can cause serious, recurring respiratory infections in younger children and infants.

How RSV is Spread (Contracted)
RSV is spread through respiratory secretions, such as when a person talks, laughs, sneezes, or coughs. Therefore, persons within close contact with an individual infected with RSV may become infected. The RSV infection occurs when the respiratory secretions (droplets) comes in contact with the mucous membranes of the eyes, nose, or mouth. The most common method of transmission is inhalation of the RSV infected droplets after someone has sneezed or coughs.
RSV can survive for several hours on surfaces and hands, but can be easily "killed" by using soap and water or a disinfectant.
Therefore, it is important to wash your hands frequently and disinfect surfaces regularly. It is because of RSV's survival rate (and children's lack of proper manners, such as covering their mouths during sneezing and coughing) that day care and school children are at a high risk for contracting RSV.
RSV Prevention
Although most children under the age of three will contract RSV at least once, there are some steps that you can take to help prevent your child from contracting RSV.
Here are a few tips for RSV prevention:

Minimize the number of visitors into your home and in contact with your infant.
Require any visitors and persons who come in contact with your infant to wash their hands before touching him or her.
Do not allow sick people into your home or near your infant.
Avoid crowded places, such as malls, carnivals, circuses, community events, etc.
Do not smoke or allow anyone else to smoke in the presence of your infant or child.
If possible, do not take your child to day care during RSV season. (RSV season is generally December through April, however it may vary depending on where you live. Check with your child's Pediatrician for specific information about the RSV season in your area.)
Talk to your child's Pediatrician about influenza immunization at 6 months of age.
Talk to your child's Pediatrician about medication for RSV prevention. High-risk infants may be suitable for such preventative treatment.
thank you guys i really do appriate it alot. when the doc told me about this all i kept on seeing was my son in the hospital like you see the kids in mag. w/ tubes and stuff in thier nose. it really scared me. thankfully hes home with me and not really that bad. other than a cold he has hopefully it stays the way it is. i have meds here to help him but the doctor said that there isnt anyway to cure this its just gotta work it was out.. which sucks that there isnt a med that can make it all go away... bummer on that... thanks
ksanden
oh hon - nah - don't worry - I've worked in preschool for nearly twenty years and I see RSV every year in the kids - the doctor is right, it needs to work itself out - some of the children who end up in the hospital end up there due to parents who don't pay attention to symptoms and don't follow dr's advice or children with compromised immune systems and sometimes children who have existing respiratory issues such as asthma, etc.  It's more common then you think - and its also incredibly easily to treat and care for - just follow your doctor's instructions
It's pretty common, and at 5 months, he's a good size and should be able to fight it pretty well.  Carson had it at 4 months and again around 5 months and did okay.  He had pneumonia at 11 weeks, so he had lung problems already.  Cameron got it my first week back at work, 10 weeks old.  It was early summer and very strange for him to get it in June.  We had a tough battle, but were lucky he was a big boy and a little older, Dr.said had he ben about 2 weeks younger, it could have been much worse.  We were able to keep him out of the hospital, it got pretty scary for awhile.  He would choke and gag when he coughed.  We had to go in and have his oxygen level checked daily as he kept dipping below 89.  Keep nebbing the little one every 4 hours or however long you were told, and keep him hydrated.  The scary ads show tiny babies sick, but your little one is much stronger and bigger.  Most kid have it and it' s like a cold, Reno is right, it hits much worse in kiddos with respitory isues.  Hopefully it will pass soon, hang in there.