Maternal & Child Community
Random unexplained bruising in infant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Random unexplained bruising in infant

My son is 2 months old tomorrow, for a while we've noticed that Dameon easily bruises. He bruised when I lifted his legs to change his diaper, when DH held him under his arms, he bruises easily in things a normal infant wouldn't bruise in. Dameon's ped. did blood work on him, and he said everything appeared completely normal, and that he was going to test again at his 2 month checkup (which is on Tuesday). A couple of weeks ago DH was changing his diaper on the couch and realized he didn't have a diaper so he walked away from him to the other side of the room and Dameon wiggled his way off from the couch and fell face first into the hardwood floor. He immediately started crying, and I called the ER. They told me that he is most likely fine, and as long as he wasn't projectile vomitting or sleeping/eating irregularly not to worry too much. A few times now I've noticed completely RANDOM bruising on him, things that aren't caused by me or DH, it's like he's getting bruises from absolutely NOTHING. Tonight I noticed a fairly large round bruise on the side of his head. Needless to say I'm EXTREMELY worried, I don't have a clue what could be wrong with him. I need some suggestions on what anyone could think this could be, or suggestions on tests I should ask my doctor to run on him. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Heamaphilia could be a cause. or some other blood clotting disorder. I would take him to a doc and get some test to check for disorders of the blood. Good Luck I hope he is ok.
That's what my doctor thinks too, a clotting disorder. Thank you so much!
Just as long as don't feel bad and realise that they shouldn't hurt they are just there. I have a firend who bruises easily and has a clotting disorder that affects her capillaries and she normally doesn't notice she has done anthing until the bruise comes out. Good Luck and I hopoe it is all ok for your little one.
Oh thats scarry... Its prolly as some of the ladies said a clotting disorder, but it seems pretty common! I hope you get some answers. Please keep us posted!
The doctor said he thinks Dameon is completely normal, just bruises easier, thank god! Thank you ladies! :]
Hi Kimberlee,  well I don't want to scare you but my son bruised easily as well.  His pediatrician indicated that nothing was wrong and passed off the symptoms as him not being fully developed.  He was two months premature.  He also had problems eating.  He passed away two days prior to turning 4 months old.  Again I'm not trying to scare you - I just wished that I had followed through with more testing and second, third, forth opinions.  I guess I feel guily in away.  That was 19 yrs ago and I remember him always.  I have two daughters and they are perfectly fine.  All I'm trying to say is get more than one or two opinions...  Thanks!
Newby397 - Aw I'm so sorry to hear that! Did you ever find out what was wrong with him?? I've had Dameon's bloodwork done 3 times now, by 3 different doctors and they all said it was normal for his age. Hopefully Dameon is JUST anemic and nothing else.
ya I have a blood clotting disorder. I make two many blood clots. I have had 3 p.e`s in my lungs
I have a cousin who's a hemophiliac and in her 30 years of life she's had 4 or 5 blood transfusions. I remember when we were younger (She's only 5 years older than me) she was always bruising. The slightest thing would turn her skin black and blue. What's bad is she's the biggest tom boy and LOVES playing sports. lol. She drove my aunt crazy.

Can the docs do testing or something to figure out what's wrong?
my 5 week old baby had some bruises appear on her from no where i was so worried that me and her dad took her straight to the hospital where they couldnt find anything wrong with her, next day social services turned up and accused us of hurting her, some days later they removed her from our care and she is now in foster care!! my life has gone from bad to worse in the space of a week and its now been 14 weeks since shes gone and i stil cry every single day! me and her dad have also split up due to me accusing him of hurting her!! what else was i meant to do? when it was only me and him in the firing line and i know i didnt harm her as shes my life!! my life was so perfect and now its nothing! i dont even know if i will ever get her back!! these past 14 weeks have been constant police interviews, solicitor meetings and visits to the social services! i dont no how much longer i can do this for?! my life feels over.....its just me now in our home we made for our baby and im so alone all i do is sit in her room and cry!! call me sad but i no longer feel like im living just existing in this cruel world!! has this happened to anyone else?? im 21 and need advice quick time!!
hi steph, i am going through the same as you but with 5 of my kids into care, i would love to chat to you Jackie
hi steph840 i feel so sad for you i have a similar situattion my daughter is 8 months old woke up with facial bruising took her to hospital doctors sad no medical reason next thing social services are there ive still got her at home with my other two children but with 24hr supervision with meetings police and my childrens future in there hands i have fought everything the advice i can give is keep your chin up all that pain you feel all that love you feel for your baby you fight for her i know its hard our world has turned upside down! me and my partner have not once doubted each other if you even think for one second it could be your partner his not worth it on the other hand if you dont think its him but they have convinced you it must be just remember docs not always right keep your head up high and use your energy to fight for her the truth will come out , you have everything to live for your baby needs you always remember that youll be fine x
my son is nezrly 4 and for the past 3 years hes been.under consultant due to extreeme brusing ie appering from nowere and covering his body top to bottom and in unusual places his clotting is fine but wjen the factors of clotting are broken diwn into oarts they are low and hes nowunder a blood specialist again as they thing he has something called vascullitous blood vessle poppinghe also has unexplained nose bleeds with large clots hs under ent for that also very low iron so.if you thing something isnt righy kerp.persuing as it tool me all this time to prove tgere is something roing and only this ween.my 8month old daughter has started with extreem bruing  history repeating its self :( good luck xx
My son is going through the same thing right now.  His daughter has been with CPS for over 3 weeks now.  She just turned 3 months on the 6th.  I just wish that CPS would not automatically look at the parents for being abusive, but actually look at everything. It's like they have made up their minds and there is not turning back.  We are waiting on genetic testing to come back now.  They have told us that the whole process could take up to a year.  If the genetic testing comes back with something, then she will be allowed to go home.  If not, then someone gets arrested for child abuse.  It's so sad when you know that your son didn't do this and there is nothing you can do.  My question is what do you pray for?  That she has something and this will all go away or pray that the real abuser will be arrested?  And of course everyone knows that CPS looks at the father (my son) first.  They get to see her for one hour a week on Thursday but since we live 4 hours away, it could be a year before we see her and by then she won't remember us.  This is very heartbreaking.