Maternal & Child Community
Really bad morning sickness!! Need help please!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I'm 8 weeks along and having REALLY bad morning sickness all day long. I've tried keeping an empty stomach, 1/2 full, all full. Nothing helps. I feel sick all the time and vomit often. Is there anything you can suggest? I don't really enjoy eating and only do it because I have to. Any magic vitamin or remedy??? Thank you!!!
My sickness was at it worst when I was around 8 weeks got a little better and then came back at 13 weeks very bad again.  I am now just about 16 weeks.  When I was about 7 weeks one morning the sickness was so bad it caused my heart to start racing and never stopped.  I was admitted to the hospital for it.  Now on meds for my heart but not for the vomit.  I eat lots of carbs.  Bagles with American Cheese on them, they settle my belly a little.  Because of the carbs I am packing the pounds on.

On the BRIGHT SIDE - Morning sickness is a sign of a healthy pregnancy.  I tell myself that everyday :)  So Good Luck and CONGRATS!
Hi. I feel for you hun.  I really do!  I was in your shoes not to long ago.  Anyway, there is no magic remedy, at least that i know of.  What helped me was crackers and melba toast (yes I know you probably heard that a million times) Bread/toast/bagels were the only things that seemed to keep my stomach from getting sick.  So maybe you should try to figure out what makes you not sick and eat it offten.  Getting full was not a good thing for me.  Try to eat like 6 small meals a day.  I'd say eat whatever maked you feel better. Also, walk around with some sour hard candies.  Those helped when I was somewhere that I couldnt get food in my system. Keep them with you at all times.  Also, I kept a tin of crackers by my bed during my first trimester.  Good luck and I know you'll hate me for saying this (I hated when everyone told me this) it wont be for much longer. :-)
I don't want to scare you, but let me say this....I am 29w, in my 7th month...and still get "morning" sickness on a regular basis. I have tried every single possible solution to get rid of it. When I start to feel sick, carbs are the only thing that halfway save me. It takes a minute for them to kick in, but it's the closest I've come to relief for 7 months! I've been eating a lot of minute rice (no butter or anything, not even salt on it), and plain noodles. Sounds yummy, I know. I may also reach for buns, bread, anything like that. Don't over eat either...that for me has been just as bad as not eating on time, or not eating enough. It is a fine line we walk with our stomachs during this wonderful period!! HAHA
SOunds like you and I have similar pregnancies.  I am 4 months but the doc says this will most likley last now till the end.  I am getting good at the sickness I can actually brush my teeth at the same time now to save me time in the morning.

Do you know what you are having?  They say girls make you sick?  I am not going to find out but I like the guessing.

Good luck and CONGRATS - you are almost there :)
Hey, just to let you know that if you keep having severe morning sickness, (it does not have to be just in the morning) you should mention it to your Dr. There is a think call Hyperemesis Gravidarium and that is what I had. Your Dr. can put you on a safe prescription of ZOFRAN which will allow you to keep food in your stomach and you won't throw up. You will still feel sick somewhat and no puking. I started with very severe HG right at 5 weeks and have been taking Zofran since then. I am 32 weeks and still have morning sickness, but now I only take 1/3 a pill a day. (started on 3 pills) The only difference is, in the first trimester it was more like 24/7 sickness. I would vomit 7-10 times a day, lost bunch of weight, got dehydrated and ended up in ER several times. So I know how you feel. Hopefully you will get better by the end of first trimester. I never did and it has been a quiet a ride. Good luck

Here is more info on what I was talking about and Zofran.

http://www.morningsicknesshelp.com/zofran-morning-sickness.html
I get morning sickness more when I haven't had enough sleep. And I'm 25 weeks.

My favorite remedies are saltines (get the low sodium ones) and ice cold seltzer water with lemon or lime in it. no sugar. no flavored stuff.
We are having a little boy. I was shocked too! I heard all the horror stories about girls making you sick, and here I am having a boy!! I have rediculous heartburn too that has been persistant everyday, all day throughout the pg. Tried Zantac, TUMS, Mylanta...everything works for literally 20 minutes then it's back. Me and my stomach are about to rumble!!!

I can't remember the last time I was able to brush my teeth really well!!! Oh memories!!
i've had it since about 5 weeks (22.5 weeks now). gatorade and saltines, and dont let your stomach get completely empty. if you're totally and completely miserable talk to the doc, they can prescribe something if necessary.
Sorry you are going through this...I am too. I went to my local walgreens and asked the pharmacy to order me some morning sickness magic by Baby Bliss...it has like ginger/fenegreek/ and other natural herbs.  It really helps out a lot. The taste is not as "pleasant" as the bottle says, but it is worth it to make you feel better. Just 1tbs every 4 hours or as needed...im tellin you it works wonders...my dr. says it is 100% safe to take. You can also buy it from ebay for like 10.00...hope this helps.
amber
Luckily, I didn't have morning sickness...only nausea.
However, I read up on it just in case I ever DID have it (always good to be prepared!:-)

Ginger Ale, Ginger Snaps (pretty much any kind of ginger product, will help. Plus, I read that lemon scented aroma therapy helps, too.

Emetrol helps with vomiting in a lot of women...

And I think someone may have posted this in another thread a few days ago, but this may not be the same one...either way, you should check it out:

http://www.morningsicknesshelp.com/share/share.php?&show=11

To the right of the main page is a box containg products that will help with morning sickness, like preggie pops, etc...

Best of luck to you, and hope you get through the sickness part soon!
I copied this form thw omens health forum. thought you would be interested.

Everyone who read my last post knows I was really sick with morning sickness. Well it got really bad (I got sick at work several times and my GM took me off the schedule until I could see my DR. Well I called him and he called me in something called:

ZOFRAN 8mg

I don't know what it is exactly... All I know is that it works like nothing else i have tried. I'm able to eat. I take it 3x daily and the ONLY time I feel at all nasious is in bnetween pills (like when the one beofre it starts to wear off I guess)...

Anyways, I'm not big on taking meds during pregnancy or even when I'm not pregnant, but this stuff is amazing and I wanted to share it with you guys so that maybe you could talk to your doctors about it if the morning sickness gets really bad. I wouldn't wish morning sickness like I had last week on anyone.

Anyways, thanks for all the good advice everyone gave me! I'll keep you guys updated on everything!
Wow, you are having a boy and he is doing this to you. My fiance will be thrilled to hear this.  Yes, I have heartburn too but it is just starting and not too bad yet.  Tums are working a little.

Congrats on your boy, I go back and forth with what I would want I really dont care as long as he/she is healthy.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.  Two more months and you will get to brush your teeth in peace again :)
I got really bad MS with my DD, but only at night, and the only thing I could do that helped, that my dr. suggested, was take a half tablet of unisom before bed.  It helped the MS not be as bad, and helped me sleep.

With this one, not sure what I'm having, I haven't thrown up like I did with my DD, but I am constantly sick in the stomach, really nauseas (sp?), I just am dealing with it.  Bummer huh.

I just can't wait to not have heartburn!! Haha.

At first I had my heart set on a little girl. Wehn we found out it was a boy, it took a bit of getting used to. But now I am ready. I want my little boy. He will be the big brother (something I never had) and the relationship a son has with his mom is untouchable. I can't wait for that :o)

These hormones kill ya boy, I am just thinking about him right now and tearing up. Jan 26th better get here FAST!!

When is your EDD?
There are medicines the doctor can give you that are safe for the baby and will help with morning sickness.  I never had MS (yeah me!) but my SIL had it VERY badly until her doctor gave her medicine....just ask your doctor, that's what they are there for and they do want to help.
THanks everyone! I really appreciate the feed back. I'm hoping to try a couple of the suggestions and will be sure to follow up.
I have only heard that boys make you sick do to different hormones
isn't that funny!!!

a lady on a another forum suggested these b12 drops.  apparently she puts them under her tongue and stays not nauseaus for nearly four hours
I haven't been to the health food store yet to try them
Ginger tea, sour lemonade, cream soda (not all at once).
I know what you mean by hormones.  I take everything to heart and whenever I think about the baby I cry.  I am just so happy we made it thought the first 3 months (I had lots of issues) I dream about him or her all the time my dreams take turns boy then girl and whenever I wake up that is what I want because I loved my dream so much.  I just want to hold him/her in my arms and when I do I am sure I will be hysterical.  I am already in love with this baby and I do not have a clue what he or she is if he or she will be healthy but I am just so in love.  I would do anything for this baby.  Our due date is May 6th.  This is my first - I had an ectopic 8 years ago.  Keep us posted on your progress I cannot wait to hear of your baby's arrival then you can tell me if the sickness really goes away.  I feel like I will have it for the rest of my life.  :)
Hi Caseysmom,

My naturopath doctor gave me some little tablets to stick under my tongue that really really really helped with the morning sickness.  This is my 3rd pregnancy and my morning sickenss gets worse with each pregnancy.  This time I had it 24 hrs/day for 4 months.  What the naturopath prescribes is totally safe (I have 2 healthy beautiful girls and in 2 months I'll be blessed with another).  Our CNM says what he prescribed is very safe and used often in natural healing.  Depending on what your morning sickness is like (does it include vomitting, lots of salivation, etc...) is how they naturopath determines what to give you.  My doc was concerned because it was keeping me from eating and he was worried about baby so he gave me the tablets and it helped a great deal to where I could actually eat.  You might consider talking to a naturopath if you can.  OB/GYN's don't work with natural health and aren't familiar with it enough to point you in the right direction but most CNM's who specialize in natural health (many of them do) would know about it - and possibly they can tell you which would be best for you.
I had morning sickness for weeks until I discovered Morning Sickness Magic from Bliss By Mom!
I recommend that you visit their website for more information:
www.blissbymom.com

Good luck!
I had the same thing-
nothing makes it completely better, but there are things that do help a little.

Carbs- I ate a lot of bagels and cream cheese
Vitamin B6
saltene crackers
Soda- the doc said ginger ale, but it was small sips of coke that helped me a little
Sea Bands- you wear them on your wrists
They might prescribe Zophran- take half a tablet twice a day, that helps
It's best to eat small frequent meals throughout the day- skipping meals makes it worse
I am getting very bad morning sickness as well..
its horrible and iv been having it all day and all night and maybe slept an hour in total last night.
iv tried eating bread and bagels and stuff like that but i always throw up.
the only thing that really helps me is drinking tea all day xD
x_sammy------I drink lots of tea as well. water has been making me sick, i get dehydrated real easily, my body doesn't retain water as it should and was told to drink gatorade but it makes me sick lately. Tea is all I can really drink.

Anyway, dehydration can have a lot to do with morning sickness but you do need your nutrients from food as well. At Americanbaby.com you can see what's good to eat to keep from feeling so sick. It has all kinds of input from other mom's. I got it in a magazine but they have all thier issues online to read. It was the April 09 issue that that article was in. Look it up, it may help
im 7 wks and im feeling horrible , first baby and i am losing so much weight i cant manage to keep anythin in my system , and plus im an emotional reck cause of my hormones , i want to eatt food n just lay on my bed n feel full , not thinking before i eat "will this be easy to vomit in the morning or in 10 mins? " :(
Hi!  I hope you're feeling better!  I had horrible morning sickness too!  I lost about 10 lbs in less than 3 weeks.  I wish I had the secret remedy to give you, but I don't!  All I can say is hang in there!  Hopefully it'll pass.  Mine went away around week 16 or so and I'm finally regaining my weight.  I'm at 21 weeks now.  Just remember, keeping an empty stomach is a lot worse!  So just try to eat small meals.  After a couple of weeks of morning sickness I came to the conclusion that no matter what I ate, I was going to throw up.  So I just ate whatever and suffered the consequences later.  =)
yeaa i learned that this morning , i didnt eat anythin yesterday cuz everything grossed me out and this morning was hell i felt like i was gonna pop lol your right ima jus eat n make sure im near a bathroom after :))  and i heard sushi is badd , its funny because i became a big sushi fan right before i found out i was pregnant lolll
I started my morning sickness when I was at the dentist lol (seems the fluoride treatment kicked it in). Anyway, I am roughly 8 weeks (going to OBGYN tues) and morning sickness has been going for about 2 weeks. Nothing really helps, if I eat first thing when I wake up I'll throw up. If my stomach hurts and I eat, I'll throw up. I have tried saltines, which I've found are very hard to eat, my mouth doesn't want to chew them because they are so dry and I have a hard time swallowing. Cherries work pretty well, but they aren't very filling so I have to eat a few and let them settle and then I can eat. I have not been wanting carbs at all, seems when I eat anything heavy in carbs my body says 'yuck' and I throw it up. So veggie beef soup, lots of veggies, fruit, meat... like I said it's hard to eat carbs, I can't even eat cereal without throwing it up (as long as it's in the middle of the night I CAN)... It seems like I have to throw up for my stomach to feel any sort of better to where I can eat. NOT FUN! Even after I eat my stomach will still hurt. Sigh. I'm hoping it will go away in a few weeks and not stay with me the whole time. Hungry...
I am 7 weeks and I can't even keep water down. I am hungry and grumpy. I can't do saltiens cause I have a texture problem. N e thing that turns to paste like bread or crackers makes me instantly vommit. I am also diabetic and am not supposed to eat carbs but what I find helps is really small pieces of really cold fruit and veggies. I've stayed away from any warm foods as they do not help situations. Try gingerail in small sips if u too are like me..
Hello everyone,
I am 7 weeks and miserable! This is my 3rd pregnancy. The first 2 were girls and life was easy! This one must be a boy. My body is rejecting everything. I appreciate all the tips people have posted. I heard ginger helps but I'm not good with ginger. I also hear dried fruit helps. Dear God I hope this is over soon. I feel so useless. I am curious if anyone else is gassy. I jave never been so gassy like this in any of my pregnancies. Gassy and puky wow! I am a real thrill to be around! Haha
I think I have been sick since the moment the I got pregnant and I vomit up to 6 times a day or more. I also have something called Hyeremesis Gravidarium or HG for short. I am 14 weeks pregnant and all the doctors say that the sickness should pass really soon but honestly I have no hope in that happening. But I can't keep anything down even water is hard to keep down. I've lost almost 40 pounds, if anyone has any advise .....please share it.
Im around 9 weeks pregnant and have been suffering really bad with morning sickness after two weeks of severe sickness i went to my doctors to tell them how bad this was, the doctor prescribed me a medication called cylizine which he stated was fine in pregnancy and has done the trick .