Maternal & Child Community
Really frustrated with potty training!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My 3 year old DD is STILL NOT FULLY POTTY TRAINED!  She's great with number 1 but absolutely refuses to do number 2 on the potty.  When I see her straining, I ask her "let go on the potty" and she screams that she doesn't want to be touched and that she wants to do it standing up (sigh!)  We did the rewards, the talking, praising, modeling (meaning, I take her to the bathroom with me and tell her "see?  mommy goes on the potty too) you name it and it's just not working.  I understand that she'll potty train eventually but I am so tired of pull ups already and the expense.  What do I do???
go with the flow, some kids aren't ready to poop on the potty until a lot older, just be prepared for that. it might make her worse if a big issue is made of it, it is frustrating the transition from nappies to potty but it will come. have you tried reading a book while she sits on potty around the time you know she will poo? take her mind off it. both my 2 children that are toilet trained struggled with the number 2's, it took alot of perserverance but it worked eventually.
Oh I hear ya! Quinn will be 3 in Dec and she will sit on the potty when I prompt her and she will pee. BUT she will never tell me when she has to go so there are a lot of instances where she goes pee in her pull-up. We have not even begun to tackle going #2 on the potty yet.

Not to take over your post but do u have any sugggestions on how I can get her to tell me when she has to go pee??  Ugh, it gets so frustrating buying pull-ups for an almost 3 year old.
Well, my son is 3 and he will pee in the potty but not poop, so I think this is a fairly normal issue. He has had some problems with constipation, so his pediatrician said not to press the pooping issue. When I know he has to go, that is the only time I put a pull-up on him.

Quinns momma - I actually gave up on the pull-ups as they tended to feel too much like a diaper and my son would never tell me. Once I put underwear on him, he began telling me. He still won't poop in the potty, but he is completely pee trained, day and night.
Don't sweat it!  Ameera just started peeing in the potty only about 1 month ago.  She also will not tell you when she has to go.  Yours and mine are just turning 3 so don't have too high expectations yet.  Poo is harder to train.  When she goes, I make sure I go with her and I sit on my potty and she on hers.  I don't sound forceful or anything, I just tell her let's go--get it over with no big deal.  It will come along.  I still have the sleep issue---it's not going away anytime soon.  How about you?
hi,

the best advice i can give to you ladies, is don't put them in pull ups or any thing like that during the day, they need to feel when they are wet, might take a while, i don't know whether my kids were quick but i went cold turkey on pull ups in the day when they were both 2.5 and after 1 week they were both going to the potty, took alot of wet clothing and poop in pants but it worked. i plan to do the same with my youngest when he is the same age. good luck to you all, you will get there!
I also didn't do pull ups with mine I just put then in underwear and when they did number one especially they became well awear that they had done it. We would change into a new pair and then they learnt very quickly to stop and run to the toilet. They only ever did it once with number twos and then didn't like it that much that they started running to the loo for that too. Good Luck
hi, i've been really lucky with my 3 boys they were all clean day and night before they were all 3 my youngest was 2 and a half and has hearing and speach problems. the only thing that i can suggest is a cushioned toilet seat my children didn't like the potty or the cold toilet seat but a cushioned seat worked, in fact i've just thrown it away as my 8 year old was still using it but would be on the toilet nearly a hour playing ds as he was too comfortable. they are not expensive give it a try
hope this helps
I just wanted to share how i got my daughter to do a number two on the potty.. I laid a pull up in the bottom of the potty and she then sat on the potty and did one straight away. I was surprised how soon after that i managed to remove the pull up and she then began going in the potty without the comfort of a pull up.
Hope this helps...