Maternal & Child Community
Rectal bleeding, blood in stool, 12 weeks pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

This may be tmi but I had a bloody BM yesterday, at first I thought it was just hemmroids,there was a lot of blood so I  got into see a dr. today and found that there was actually blood in the stool after they did a test. They had to do blood work also and I won't know the results till next week. He checked everything out and didn't find hemmroids, but said they may still be the culprit just further up. My last blood results in Dec. were great, the hemoglobyn was 14. He said it could be my prenatal vitamins, I have been taking Cal-Nate. Could I be getting too much iron? I have also had blood streaked vomit, and sometimes blood flecks in it. Has anyone else experienced this? I have decided to quit takng my prenatal vitamins till I see my regular OB dr. next week.
i dont know about blood in stool. but as for pukeing it up, i had that and i was told it was because of my throat was "raw" i was sick for the weeks of 6-about13. and sometimes 2-4xs a day.
*about your vit. i went from prenatal(sp?) to the flenstones complete. i love them compaired to the others. and my dr said that they are the same. so i wouldnt stop i would call/see your dr about switching.
if you are talking about just blood being inthe stool.. it can be just about anything.... hemmoroids (hemorrhoids).... ( just furthr up) polyps.... internal fissures.. ect ect... maybe you should change your diet... perhaps change your prenatal vitamin...

there are other more serious things that can cause rectal bleeding.. but if i were you.. i wouldnt start worrying about it at all right now...

I have crohns disease.. which is in remission.. due to proper diet... and some really awesome supplements.... i no longer have blood in my stool...  blood in the stool can be VERY scary.. but most of the time.. its something VERY simple.. like internal fissures... so much happens when the body become preggers.. I wouldnt worry too much at all right now.. just wait and see what all the blood work says.... try changing your prenatal.. it could be that your colon is simply irritated from the hormonal changes... and from the particular prenatal vitamin you are taking...
any chance you are constipated? i know it's very common in pregnancy. my work with young children (who are very often constipated) has taught me that this can lead to blood in the stools.
thanks for the answers...it's comforting. I got flinstones vitamins also after I had gone to the dr. that day. I go back for my regular OB visit on Wednesday and hope to find out more. I have been afraid of getting too much iron as well, wondering if it would cause harm to the baby since it seemed I already had plenty of iron in my blood.