Maternal & Child Community
Recurrent miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Recurrent miscarriage

I am wondering if anyone has a similar story to share that may help shed some light on my situation.  Firstly when I was very young (16) I had a baby who is now 18 years old.  My pregnancy with my son was normal with no problems and my son is a healthy young man.  I am now remarried and wanting to start a new family with my husband who has no children.  I get pregnant easily as after 2 months of trying I found out this past May that I was pregnant.   5 weeks later I miscarried.  My husband and I both devastated. My Doctor told me we could try again right away as soon as I had my first period.  Looking back I am not sure if I even had a period as I had one day of light bleeding initially and then 1 week later had what seemed to be a period.  We ended up getting pregnant immediatly and then had another miscarriage at the begining of September not even 3 months after the first miscarriage.  With the second pregnancy we saw a heartbeat of 120bpm at 6 weeks 3 days and then at 10 weeks went in for another ultrasound due to very slight brown color in my discharge to find out that there was no heartbeat an the baby stopped growing at 6 weeks 5 days.  I ended up miscarrying naturally later that night.  Has anyone had a similar experience that they could share with me to help shed any light on why this may have happened to me.  I now wonder if I did not wait long enough to get pregnant again.  I also have heard that once a heartbeat is seen your chances of miscarrying drop by 95%. Heartbroken and confused. Lynne
I had almost an identical experience! I was pg with my first last May and had no problems. A normal u/s at 6 wk 3 days w/heartbeat (they didn't give me a count). Then at 10 weeks I had some blood after sex. Thinking it was a normal cervical irritation I didn't panic. I called the doctor the next day and he sent me for an u/s. He wasn't concerned, but with any blood, he sends you for an u/s. Well they could've knocked me over with a feather when they told me that the baby didn't look much bigger than 6 1/2 weeks. There was no heartbeat and I was crushed. Had my hcg levels checked. They had been at 28000 at the time of the good u/s and were down to 9000. I knew it was gone. I decided to have a d&c. I got my period 4 weeks later, ovulated 2 weeks after that and got pg again. I had told the doctor at my checkup after the d&c that when I started trying again I wanted to take baby aspirin and progesterone. You see my sister had 2 m/c and then took the baby aspirin and progesterone and has my beautiful 2 1/2 yr. old niece now. I am 38 and didn't feel like I had time to have another m/c before he would take it seriously. I started the baby aspirin a week before I ovulated and 2 days after the ovulation is when I started the progesterone. I am now 5 weeks and 2 days pg and my hcg levels are doubling and am doing very well so far. I would strongly suggest you talk to your doctor about trying the baby aspirin and progesterone. They don't have proof that it works, but I know so many women who have had m/c and then healthy babies with the baby aspirin and progesterone. The doctor said that if I don't need it, it can't hurt me. So I figured, why not. Atleast I feel like I'm doing something. And with the statistics of the heartbeat, you are right, they do say that once you see the heartbeat there is less than a 5% of m/c, but I think that most people don't see the h/b till 8-12 weeks and if we had waited, we never would've seen it. Just my thought. Hope my story helps. Best of luck to you.
Debra :o)
i am so sorry you are going through this but really there is nothing you can do to predict or stop a m/c.
i hope you are blessed with a little one soon
~nanci
I agree that there is no way to stop a m/c if there is something wrong with the fetus. But if you have low progesterone or your lining isn't thick enough and it isn't detected, then trying the baby aspirin and progesterone could possibly save a pg that may have failed. That's all I was saying. Even on the baby aspirin and progesterone, I know there is still a 20% chance of m/c and my doctor did tell me that, but I feel there is hope since I've seen it many times.
Debra :o)
we posted at the same time and so i never did read your post.....however i am a firm beleiver that if a child is going to be lost it doesn't matter what you do you can't stop a moving train by standing infront of it.
not sure if you get my point, but some people have taken progesterone for low counts and still lost there babies and some have taken it and saved the pg.....my point is there is no way to know if those that were saved would have been healthy on there own or not.
~nanci
True, no way to know. I choose to believe it helps. Thanks for clarifying.
Debra :o)
Just a question-what exactly is baby aspirin and progresterone supposed to do? I apologize for having to ask, but am very curious. I have one healthy baby and have had one mc, and am wondering....
I had a really hard time last year. I was 12 weeks last Aug and found out the baby stoped growing at 6 or 7 weeks. I was still growing though, looked very pregnant. Again in Feb, I was about 5 weeks or so and lost another. It seemed like forever to get pregnant the second time. After the m/c in Feb, I had testing done only to find there was nothing wrong. Just bad luck they say. Anyway, didn't even have an af after that and was pregnant again. Scared to death I would lose another, I really thought for sure I would. I am now over 30 weeks, not a spot or anything. It took months for me to relax and I'm still not totally relaxed. Not until I hold my precious baby in my arms. Then I will have new worries, lol.

I don't want you to give up, this happens to lots of us and probably lots of people you know but just didn't tell you. Give it time. A word of advice, relax and don't try too hard. I think that's why it took me so long to get pregnant. Once I kind of gave up, wham, I was pregnant.

I wish you lots of luck and if you have any questions, just let me know.
Take care,
Caper
The baby aspirin thickens the lining of your uterus so that the baby implants better and if your body doesn't produce enough progesterone on it's own, you won't sustain the pregnancy. Supplementing the progesterone ensures your level is high. After the first trimester, the placenta takes over in the progesterone area and you stop taking it, but the baby aspirin you take until about 8 months.
I've had 3 recurrent miscarriages and am pregnant and fine 18 weeks now.  I had one healthy child who is now 3.  My problem was progesterone.  As you age progesterone is one of the hormones that declines causing early miscarriages.  It's very simple you just need to do clomid which raises your levels initially and then immediatly about 3dpo start taking progesterone supplements either vaginally or pill form.  Mine was vaginal cream.  Others experience miscarriages later which can be due to blood clotting which is also treatable.  You can get a test for the blood clotting just ask your Dr. If you have this treatments will vary depending upon the serverity of your condition.  Far fewer miscarriages are due to Chromosome abnormalities then first thought.  Mine were healthy babies just not enough progesterone to keep them going the first 12 weeks.  To prevent more pain I suggest waiting and talking to your Dr. get the blood clot test and ask for progesterone and keep it around just in case.  Good luck.  I waited a year between the last m/c and my now healthy pregnancy.  The others all happened about 3 months after each other.  I really suggest waiting.
BTW baby aspirin is for blood clotting disorder it does bring blood to the uterus which may help implantation, but truly it's for those diagnosed with blood clotting disorders like MTHFR.  If you're interested in more there is a board specializing in recurrent miscarriages.  Many women there have these disorders and know a lot of information.  

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-bhpregloss
I too have had three miscarriages on all of them they measured around 6 weeks even though I miscarried at different times with each one....The doctor didn't think I was producing enough of the HCG hormone to support a pregnancy either. Progesterone is one of those hormones. So with my fourth pregnancy as soon as I found out I was pregnancy I receiced injections twice a week to keep my HCG level up- I did that until the 11 week of pregnancy. I had a beautiful daughter and now am 24 weeks pregnant with my son!!!!! The doctor thought since the miscarriages were all early around 6 weeks that my body wasn't producing enough hormones to support the pregnacies....I am so excited I thought I was never going to have children......
Well, I'll be...
Thanks Debra_Maine-you learn something new every day, hey?
I wonder would taking the baby aspirin be a good thing to do after having had a mc? Can it hurt?
Don't take baby aspirin unless your Dr tells you too.  It's not really good for the baby in small doses it doesn't harm the fetus, but aspirin really isn't good for pregnant woman to take so you don't want to do it unless you really need to.  Ask your Dr. he will test you for blood clotting disorder and tell you if you should take it.
I started taking it before we were even trying. My doctor said it wouldn't hurt and told me to do it. I would call your doctor and see how he/she feels about it. For me, I atleast feel like I'm doing something instead of just waiting for a m/c. And I agree with Niki. A lot of early pregnancies could've been saved with this type of treatment. Good luck to you. I'd love to know what your doc says.
Debra :o)
What kind of progesterone did you take?  Was it a natural kind that you took at home or a prescription from your doctor?  How did you feel with it?  Did you have any funny side affects?  Thanks for letting me know.

For the dear mother who lost her loved one:  I am so sorry for your loss.  My prayers and thoughts are with you.  I wish you the best the next time around.  Your dear little one and mine are playing together in heaven right now.  That is a sweet thought that always comforts me.  Another thought is that if I would have never conceived my loved one, I would never one day meet her (I think it was a her).  Our dear ones are right now in a peaceful place in Christ's loving arms.  Give your husband our regards as well.  Hugs!!!
I am on 200 mg of oral prometrium (is the brand of progesterone). I take it in the morning and at night. I have had no problems with it at all. It makes you a bit sleepy, so at night I like it. I am having a much easier time sleeping now than I did with my first pg (m/c).
It is prescribed by my doctor.
I can't remember the name but I took 200mg injections given by the doctor twice a week up until the 11week of my pregnancies. I look back at my three miscarriages and always think if we had known sooner we may have saved those pregnancies....I feel so fortunate that the doctor figured it out! I think one clue the doctor had was that all my miscarriages were ending around 6 weeks and the tests that we had ran all came back normal....
Mine was 6 1/2 weeks but I didn't miscarry until 10 weeks. Horrible walking around thinking you are pg for 3 1/2 weeks. I am starting week 6 now, so I will feel much better if I make it through. I have been having my hcg levels checked every week and so far they are doubling just as they should. I really think it was the progesterone for me too. But I'll never know. I just know the progesterone and baby aspirin worked for my sister, so I'm hoping it will be the same for me. When are you due?
I know what you mean even though the fetus measured 6 weeks with all the miscarriages I lost the first one at 10 weeks, the second one at 12 weeks and the last one it wasn't 8 weeks! It is sad to think you are so excited and think everything is okay and it's not. I truely believe in the progesterone too. I am so happy for you that everything is going well so far and you know those HCG levels doubling is a really good sign!!! That's how we detected the last two miscarriages my HCG levels were barely going up and then started to drop! I am due January 24th but because I had an emergency c-section with my daughter my hospital requiers a scheduled c-section this time so my son's birth date will be Jan 18th! So weird that I know the day...they told me they usually schedule c-sections 10 days before the due date which would have put it right on my daughter's birthday!!!! But I asked if we could do it a little after so they had their own special days.....I'm so excited!!! It will fly by with the holidays coming...What will be your due date? This will be your first right? Are you going to find out the sex??? We waited with my daughter - it was fun everyone guessing. Nobody knows this time except everyone here and my parents...my husband wanted to wait again and I for some reason really wanted to know this time around so I had to promise not to say anything so no one else knows!!! I hope I don't slip- he swears he's having all girls...suprise it's a boy!! ha! ha!
I am so happy for you that you are having your second. And January 18th will be here before you know it. Yes, this will be my first. I'm still not 100% convinced it will happen, it's still early, but the levels are promising. Today I had them done again. Last Thursday they were 2594 and 96 hours later they were 11516. They more than doubled. The nurse was so excited she wanted to schedule my 12 week check up. Last time I had about 10 appointments to cancel since they had them all scheduled in advance. I was due 2/21. This time it's 5/31. I was very lucky to conceive again so quickly. I pray my belief in the progesterone is right and this one will stick. Keep your fingers crossed for me! And please keep me posted on your progress.
Debra :o)
I am a firm believer in the progesterone I think this pregnancy is the one for you!!!! Your numbers do luck great! I know how you feel about worry  I am 24 weeks now and I still worry and can't wait until he's in my arms! Plus I am a little more active at home with my daughter where as when I was pregnant with her I really took it easy. My doctor said once the heart beat was detected the miscarriage rate went down a lot and then once you hit 20weeks it's a really small percentage. I try to think about that but I still worry. I'm sorry about your loss but this pregnancy is going to work for you! I will keep my fingers crossed!
Thank you!!! I sure hope so :o)
Thank you to all you wonderful women out there! I just found this site, and have found such inspiration from you all.

I'm still enduring my 3rd miscarriage after having had 2 healthy children.

I know that I have no right to complain or really even to be sad as I am already so blessed, but my heart is breaking as I type.  

Two years ago I became pregnant and miscarried 8 weeks later.  The next month I fell pregnant again (could not believe that it happened so fast!) and then miscarried again 7 weeks later.  My husband and I tried for 10 months to get pregnant and it just didn't happen...so I    gave up and said, "that's it-I'm obviously not meant to be the mother of three and I'm so fortunate to have my two beautiful healthy children that I'm just not going to try anymore."  Well, lo and behold, I fell pregnant again early last month and thought for sure that this was it-I'd been blessed again!  But unfortunately no, as yesterday when I went to the bathroom I saw the same terrible blood that I had before...ugh!  

I feel selfish to even want a third when so many women can't even have one, but I can't help my dreams...

Thank you for sharing your stories and giving me the feeling that I'm not alone.
Just miscarried for 2nd time at 6 weeks. I keep being told Ive got to wait until the third before I recieve help- what a waste! Really interested in the progesterone and baby asprin anything is worth a try. I have a healthy son of 7years now at 33 can't believe I can't carry a baby.
How much baby asprin do you take per day?
1 baby aspirin a day.
I need some reassurance.... I have a 3 year old son and we truly want to have another baby. However I have had 2 miscarriages within the past year. I waited the amble amount of time between the first miscarriage to try again and I indeed miscarried again. My progresterone levels/HCG levels were rising and all seemed fine until the ultrasound showed that the baby stopped growing a little after 5 weeks. My doctors say that at this point my chances of conceiving and carrying a baby to term are still good since I was able to have a perfectly normal pregnancy/delivery with my son. He says that they won't begin any type of testing to see if there is anything else going on unless I happen to miscarry again. I don't want to worry so much but should I push for testing now?