Rejected donate of G6PD Deficiency blood
I found out that my child had G6PD Deficiency and I found out that I was the one that he had inherited it from. I have donated blood a few times already but yesterday when I went to give blood, I was rejected because of the G6PD deficiency. Since G6PD deficiency is an inherited disorder, I should have had it all my life, how come I was never rejected before? Do you know if the Red Cross tested our blood for H6PD before giving it to someone? I don
If you don't mind me asking. What is that? I have never heard of it. Does it have something to do with your iron?
Don't know anything specific about this disorder. Maybe they only recently started screening for it. You really should contact the Red Cross for more information. Do you actually have the disorder, or just carry the gene?
My sense is that if you told them when donating this time (because now you know you have this genetic anomaly) and didn't tell them when donating before (because until your son was diagnosed, you didn't know you carried it) they (i.e., the Red Cross) is just being conservative now.  I don't know if they can test for this in the blood, or if they do test for it (if they even can) on a routine basis, or if it is harmful in any way to someone receiving the blood.  As the previous poster said, this would be something to ask the Red Cross.  It does not seem that a genetic condition can be passed through a blood transfusion; it's not like a virus or a bacteria.  But again, ask the Red Cross.  Good luck!
Exactly.  You can email the Red Cross or call your local chapter and ask about exclusion criteria.
http://www.cbbsweb.org/enf/2004/donor_g6pd.pdf#search='g6pd%20deficiency%20and%20blood%20donation'

Looks like rarely it can be associated with hemolysis if given to premature infants, and there may be storage issues with blood units.  Not enough data to specifically ask donors about it, but enough concern to exclude known G6PD donors.