Maternal & Child Community
Removal of IUD and wanting to get pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am hoping that someone may have some information for me.  I had Mirena IUD for 2 years and had it removed Nov 15 05'.  I got my period on the 25th.  I am ttc and today is Jan 2 and I have not gotten my period yet.  I took a test on the 30 (negative)but I have elevated temps for over 19 days.  I do not want to waste anymore money on tests, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with removal of mirena and pregnancy.

Mirena site says a womans cycle returns to normal immediately after removal but my OBGyn says it could take a few months.

Any advice or information is appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year

2girsl
I posted this in a thread a feww days ago, but I will post again here so you don't have to search. I got my mirena removed on Nov 7th, got a weird af a few weeks later. I did get pg my next cycle, but it appeared to be a chemical pg, got 2 light + on HPT's, but then an extremely heavy af followed a few days later. Most of the information I have come across says fertility returns immediately, I am inclined to believe the same given my experience.

Good luck,
Andi
Thanks for the info, I am a little behind on the abbreviations.  What does AF and pg stand for and what is a chemical pregnancy.  

I took a test today and it is negative, so I know I am not pregnant, I am just looking forward to getting my period so we could try again this month.

Any info is appreciated.

2girls

AF is aunt flow or your period. A chemical pregnancy is when you are in fact pregnant, but your period comes and essentially causes an early m/c.

Andi
Thanks for the info.  I am spotting now, but still no AF.  I guess I just have to be patient and see what happens.  

Finding time is difficult sometimes, but necessary, my husband has not complained yet :).  

I am just a little disappointed that Mirena claims that a woman's cycle returns to normal immediately after removal and have the same chances of getting pregnant as women not having used the IUD.
I had my Merina taken out last July. I got a period within a week, another exactly four weeks later and then another two weeks later, then not another for 45 days. I think it took three to four calendar months for it to completely straighten out. As for fertility afterwards, I don't know. We have been ttc with no luck so far, but that is just me. I am still BFing my two year old about three times a day, and our timing may have left a little to be desired in the first couple months afterward - especially since my cycles were so unpredictable.
In many cases it is true, but nothing in life is 100%. Most likely it is a matter of timing as the Mirena doesn't stop ovulation, it thins the uterine lining. Once you complete one cycle after removal, your body should resume making the thicker lining. My cycles were really light with Mirena, but they were always really light so I didn't notice a difference. Keep your chin up, it could be worse, you could be waiting for depo to work its way out of your system or the pill. In the grand scheme of things, Mirena still allows fertility to return quicker than most : )

Good luck!
Andi
I have a 4 year old at home and i work full time as well as her dad but lately I have want to get my iud removed and have another child. I mean it has been four years. Still trying to figure out what to do!!!!!!!!????