Maternal & Child Community
Removal of ovarian cysts during C-Section

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I had a C-section on October 26 to have my baby delivered and I just got the bill from my doctor.

In the bill reads that my doctor removed ovarian cysts during surgery. I was awake during the C-Section, my husband was there with me, he visited me four times in the hospital and I saw him in his office once... and he never said anything about any cysts!!!!

Is this normal? Is it possible for the doctor to remove the cysts without authorization from me or my husband? Doesn
It could be something as simple as a clerk who entered an incorrect billing code.  This happens all the time, but if you DIDN'T have a cyst removed, you want to correct the error unless you are ok with your doctor getting a chunk of insurance money for something he never did.

Generally speaking, if a doctor removes a cyst during a c/section, he mentions it to the patient.  The tissue is sent to pathology for later analysis.  They are almost never malignant if associated with a pregnancy.

Call your doctors office and tell them the simple truth; you got a bill that said you had a cyst removed, and you want to know if you actually did, or if it was an error.

You can also write to the hospital and request a copy of the operative report for your c/section.  There is a nominal fee, very small.  It will say right in the op report under "Procedures performed".

No, the doctor doesn't really need your consent, either if an abnormality is discovered in the course of an operation underway, and it is easily fixed/diagnosed/removed.
Who was your doctor? The exact same thing happened to me in February 2005. I thought it was very suspicious actually that he NEVER mentioned it to me or my husband or anyone else. When I asked him about it, he waffled about what type of cysts they actually were. I felt misled. I'm still not sure what happened or whether I actually did or did not have cysts removed. I'm in Santa Monica, CA. It'd be interesting to see if we have the same doc.
Same thing just happened to me I had my daughter by c section 3 months ago and today just got a bill that said he removed a cyst on my left ovary I had no clue he never told me at the hospital or during my follow up visits. I am very upset I called just to make sure and yes I did have a cyst removed during surgery! Its my body and I think I have the right to know these things! I only found out because I got the bill that I don't have to pay cuz I have great ins. Someone fugded up in billing at his office.My hubby is in the army and icurrently deployed to afganistan so it's kinda crazy to find this out without him here. I would like to know if the dr sent it off to be analized or not. iShouldn't I have been informed? Is there some way I could sue for him not telling me? I mean of course I'm glad he removed it it's not like I would have refused. % went to a civilian hospitial in modesto CA to be with my family since my hubby is gone but i would like to go to jag and find out. I know I signed papers for the dr to do whatever he  had to do to save my life in the event something go wrong but does that cover removing a cyst?