Maternal & Child Community
Respiratory Distress Syndrome (RDS)......

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

my dh's cousin and his wife just had a baby boy, Jack on wed. june 27th. he weighed 8lbs. 2oz. so he was a good size. she had a c-section 1 week prior to her due date b/c the baby was breech. apparently he swallowed some fluid during delivery, had low oxygen, and underdeveloped lungs. he was taken to a bigger hospital with a neonatal unit and put on a respirator. the latest we hear is he has RDS and he cannot breath on his own. i don't understand how a full term 8lb baby can have underdeveloped lungs? has anyone been thru this or know anything about it? also,please pray for baby jack. this is their 1st and it took years to even get pregnant. thank you.
All baby's develope at different rates.  I had two premiees 20 months apart.  

Oldest Son:  born at 34w0d weighing 5lbs7oz no RDS only feeding problems, in NICU 18 days, had steroids for lungs 12 & 36 hours prior to delivery.

Youngest Son:  born at 34w5d weighing 6lb10oz with moderate to severe RDS with pneumothorax & collapsed lungs, no feeding problems, had steroids at 28 weeks, in NICU 9 days.

They said the thing that was hurting my youngest the most was that he was so big and was fighting the equipment that was trying to help him breath.  

I will pray for your family and little baby Jack.

Nicki
It's too complex a situation to make many assumptions about.  The baby could have some underlying problem that you don't know about, or that may not even have been diagnosed yet.  

It is very rare for an infant to not have reached lung maturity 1 week before the due date, but due dates can sometimes be off, or there could just be something quirky about the lung development in this particular baby.  The baby could have gotten a type of pneumonia from aspirating fluid during delivery.  There could have been an underlying infection that wasn't diagnosed.

There could be lots of reasons.  I hope everything turns out ok.
thank you. my little man was over 10lbs. as well.  he was the talk of the nursery that week- everyone wanted to see the 10lb baby:)
Sometimes big babies can be a sign of problems too.  It is surprising that a baby 1 week from due date has underdeveloped lungs, but it happens.  My first son did not have underdevelpoed lungs, but was over 10 lbs. and they were concerned with his size and that larger babies sometimes have problems.  They ran a battery of tests on him and the placenta.  He turned out fine, but had swallowed fluid at birth and was bluish gray.  He was given an apgar of 3 and had the cord around his neck 3 times.  He was rushed off after birth and was watched closely.  The good thing is that the little one is getting care for it and will probably pull out just fine.  I hope he's home soon.
thank you both. nikki, the same is true with jack. they have him sedated b/c he fights all the tubes that he needs to help him.
My little boy was full  term 39 wks and 9lb 4oz and had server RDS he had 2 doses of surfactant and ventilated for a few days then in nicu for a week all is ok hes now 2 but has bad allergies  ect but lungs are fine, it was a very scary time as being a big baby  and full term vaginal delivery we thought all would be ok, rds is very uncommon in vaginal births of full term babies less then 1% my pead said but more common in c-sections and preterm infants  and babies before 30 weeks.  best wishes to u all x