Maternal & Child Community
Restless Sleeper

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Restless Sleeper

Hi everyone-Happy New Year!
Anyone else out there with a toddler who STILL doesn't sleep through the night??? Myah (16 months) generally goes down at 8, and sleeps for 2-3 hours. At that point, she's crying to see us ( guess)  and we take her to bed with us. Nine times out of ten, she then sleeps peacefully until 7 or 7:30.If I don't go to her when she cries, she'll just get up, as she is in a toddler bed. Crying it out is therefore not an option. She would scream herself sick.
I'm 3 months pregnant, and would love to a) have some time to relax in the evening without watching the monitor for her to wake b) be able to go to bed when I want, and c)for hubby and I to have the bed to ourselves! Especially as I get bigger and more uncomfortable, I'd really like to reclaim the bed! I have read the books, and tried it all. In the evenings, starting at 7, we'll watch a Mommy and Me Lullaby and Good Night video (fabulous, btw), she'll have a little snack, and then it's bath time, story time, and she dozes off in my arms. I know that a child being able to put herself to sleep is SO important, but I feel like I've missed the boat bc I cuddled her so much when she was a young baby! If I dare lay her down while still awake, she just sits up and looks at me as if to say "you're kidding, right?"
I feel that if she were old enough to understand, then I could explain why she needs to stay in her own bed, offer rewards for good sleeping, etc. I love having her cuddle in, but I need to get this child to sleep on her own! HELP!!!
Desperate Mommy
My DD still gets up sometimes in the middle of the night. We try putting her back in her own bed but she just waits about 15 minutes then sneaks back to our room. I have since gotten a cot type thing that goes on our floor. She now knows that if she going to come in our room that is where she must sleep. Often times she will now go back to her own bed because it is more comfortable other times she has had a bad dream and just needs to be close to us.
Let me start by saying I have no experience in this because i am pregant with my first child.  However, I do know that I still get up every night between 3 and 4 in the morning for about 30 minutes or so.  I have done this for as long as I can remember.  My mother says I always did that as a baby and toddler as well.  I am now 28 and I STILL get up every night (or should i say morning).  I know this doesnt help, but maybe she will eventually grow out of wanting to come sleep with you and DH.  Good luck!!
Our dd wanted to sleep in our bed too. From the beginning we made her sleep in her own bed, but about a month ago she had a cold/fever and slept in our bed. Well then she thought that was where she'd sleep from then on. She'd cry when we put her in her own bed & would refuse to lay down. She is in a toddler bed too(2 1/2 years old). We got her a babydoll for Christmas. We have a routine. She puts on her pj's and so does the babydoll and we tuck her (and the babydoll) in in her bed and that seemed to do the trick. She likes to pretend she is mommy to the doll & watches it at night. If your dd likes to play with dolls yet you might want to try that. Also the doll gets to wear some of my ds's  pj's which  my dd really thinks is special.
Is she napping alot during the day? Teething? Wish I knew the answer, I would be rich. I know how hard it is with broken sleep. I'm up 3 or 4 times a night with my little man. He's only 1 month though. Well, good luck!!! Hope the next one is a sleeper.
I like the idea of a dollbaby that she can put to bed in her own room.

You might try posting this question over on the Child Behaviour Board.  Even though there is a small fee, I think the psychologist who answers questions over there is fabulous.  You could try a search there, too--I know I've seen some questions similar to that.
HI everyone
I am a mommy of a 13 yr old boy and a 9 yr old boy and expecting again.  The sad truth is my boys still do not sleep through the night they are just old enough to take of their own needs( bathroom, water, to hot, to cold) good luck to all
that is about the age my son was when he was doing that.  we bought him a twin size real bed.....have you ever tried to sleep on one of those toddler beds. OMG they are so uncomfortable.  we put our son in the twin bed and now he only comes in when he has a bad dream.
just a thought
~nanci
If you feel you can't let her cry it out, just tell her when she comes into your room that she MUST sleep on the floor. My brother and SIL did that and it worked for them. They would not let their DS on the bed unless he was sick.  They just told him there was no room for him and if he wanted to stay in their room he had to sleep on the floor.  He did it for about 3 days, then didn't come back to their room.
I can see that may also be a good idea!
Wow-thanks everyone for your comments. I may try posting on the child behavior board too as you suggested, christie-thanks
She does have one doll that she really likes-maybe I'll give that a whirl too!
Thanks everyone
My 3 1/2 year still gets up in the night and comes in our room.  All of my friends say that their children do the same...it is very typical.  All of my friends say they eventually grow out of it...it is a security issue.  I plan to have my 2 girls share a bedroom when my baby is old enough...they can keep each other company.

Sorry I don't have advice for correcting the problem since nothing works for my daughter, including the baby doll idea.  When I tried telling her that her babies would get lonely if she left them, she said, "That's Ok, they're not real anyway and they can see me tomorrow."