Maternal & Child Community
Rh factor and Miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Rh factor and Miscarriage

I had an ectopic in 10/01 and received Rhogam.  I had an mc sometime last week.  Don't know when b/c when I called the dr office, the nurse told me not to worry about the bleeding since my us 2 days before looked great and I had a dr appt in a week.  She told me to sit tight until my appt (which should have been yesterday).  Nurse called me on Tuesday to cancel since dr is on a leave of absence and said it was rescheduled for 3/17.  I again told her about the bleeding, clots, tissue, cramps (which at that time had stopped).  She again said that with the us she didn't think anything was wrong and that the bleeding could be from the ovarian cysts.  I told her that she was wrong and I wanted my hCG tested again that day. I was right.  I had a mc.  When the dr (dfnt one) called to give me my lab results, I told him that I was going to need a Rhogam. After a huge mess at the er I finally got the shot.  I did some checking after the fact, and since I don't know what day I mc for sure, I recvd the Rhogam very late.  Should have recvd it with in 72 hours.  What kind of effect is this going to have?  The whole thing just peeves me since I should have recvd the rhogam right away when I told the dr that I was bleeding whether I had mc then or not. But they never typed my blood so no one ever thought to worry about my Rh factor.  I would have never recvd Rhogam if I wouldn't have asked for it.

Anyway, what would have happened if I wouldn't have rcvd it?  What are the consequences since I recvd it late?  Any help would be great.
I too am Rh - , I know the effects of not having it can be very bad for the baby, but I'm not sure about it if you recieve it late. You need to call your OB and tell one of the Dr.s to see what they say. I just know with my 2 m/c and my DD, that the shot was a major ordeal and was very necessary. Good luck to you and let us know what you find out!
I am so sorry.  I can't believe that the nurse told you not to worry.  Not that they probably could of saved the baby, but I bet it was hard to have all that happen and be told not to worry.
Hello are you taking about your nlood type?I'm new at this.I am now 25 and a half weeks and I have RH NEGITIVE blood and I just found that out at my second doctors visit.Should I be worried?I know after the baby is born I have to get a shot but I also read that at 7 months they sometimes give you one as well.Do they still do that?This is my first baby I'm going on 29yrs old in May my baby is due in June.If I was going to miscarriage because of it that would of happened by now right? please reply
I did not find out with my first about the Rh factor unitl after I was pregnant. I got the shot durring my pregnancy and then had to have another after I had her. And have had one right after everr miscarraige (miscarriage). Hope this helps!!!
If this is your first pregnancy then you do not need to worry.  The problem with Rh- mom and a possibe Rh+ baby has more to do with any future pregnancies.  If your baby's blood mixes with yours for any reason your immune system is going to want to build antibodies against the Rh+ blood since it is foreign.  If you become pregnancy again with another Rh+ baby your immune system will try to destroy it.  Rhogam prevents that from happening.  You should get a Rhogam for this pregnancy if you have had an amneo or a accident that may have cause trauma to the abdominal area or any time when the Rh+ blood  could possibly mix with yours.  Hope that helps.
Hi, this is my first time posting on here.  I am a 35 year mother of a wonderful little boy, who we thought may not be with us today.  When I was 5 months pregnant with him I was in a very small car accident, every thing seemed fine, but later that day I started to get very bad pains, and my husband took me into my doctors office, where by this time I was doubled over in pain.  They were very busy that day, so when a doctor finally came in to see me ( one I never had seen before) she gave me something for the pain and told me to go home, it would pass.  It didn't, and I ended up in the emergency room later that night, after a all night thing, they finally started to let up.  It was so painful and very scary.  We thought we were losing our baby.  But here is my question, if anyone could help, I became sensitized during that pregnany, and my husband and I are so sure it was during this time.  If they would have given me a Rhogram shot within 72 hours of the acciedent, like they due for some women after birth, would it of stopped me from becoming sensitized?  I don't know if anyone can help, but I need to find this out, because it weighs on me and my husband so much, seeing how we have lost a second child due to me being sensitized.  Thanks
I mc on the 5th of april 2004 after giving birth to my last child in march of 2003. And the doctor didnt tell me I was rh negative and with my last pregnancy and I never knew. So, when I went to the hospital after bleeding they told I was mc and that I was rh negitve and that I had to get the rhogam to protect. I am so upset that my doctor didnt tell woth my last pregnancy