Maternal & Child Community
Rice cereal and my 3 month old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Rice cereal and my 3 month old

I have a almost 3 month old, and was wondering if it was to soon to put rice cereal in one of her bottles?  i have talked to several cousins, and they insist that I should do this...is it to early?
I had to with both my daughters. But, I started a little younger because they wanted to eat every hour on the hour and I thought they were not getting enough to eat. I started out with the rice and they did great!!!!! Best of luck to you and the new baby!!!:)
I was told by my pediatrician that it can be a choking hazard to feed that way.  It is better to spoon feed it from a bowl.  Also, be aware that rice cereal can constipate.  Try it out and if it has that affect, switch to oatmeal.  Try just a tiny bit.  My pediatrician told me to start veggies and fruit with my 4 month old. DD was not ready to tolerate it.  She was pooping all the time and was acting very wierd.  THere is no need to rush into any of this.
I think it is way too early.  The American Academy of Pediatrics now reccommends nothing but breast milk or forumula until 6 months. If you do it too soon then they are at higher risk for allergies, obesity and intestinal problems!
i agree with ma2isaiah...it's a little too early..consult with your ped
Definitely check with your doc, I think they recommend 6 months before solids.  I started my ds at 5.5 months on rice cereal mixed with breast milk and fed off a spoon.  I wouldn't put it in a bottle.
my dd has acid reflux and wouldn't (still doesn't) sleep she is 6 months...so my doctor said to put cereal in her bottle.  I put oatmeal in her bottle a table spoon per 4 oz and she has been fine, hasn't made her sleep any better but it was more for her acid reflux.  As alway ask your doctor.  I saw on Dr. Phil the other day that its a big no no to do this before 6 months i also have been givin her fruits per my doctor since 4 months and the Dr. Phil show said no because of allergys (allergies) and intenstines develpin too.  I would look up all information that you can for your self and consult your doctor...as always it seems doctors have different opinions and we just need to educate ourselfs...goodluck
I think it's fine to give cereal to your child at 3 mos. Standards and reccommendations keep changing and changing, but you know your own child and you know what that baby needs! :) A baby I nannied for was hungry constantly and their pediatrician actually suggested to give the baby and electrolyte solution (such as pedialyte) between feedings if he was too hungry. These solutions are not sugared down, but not watered down and provide some nutrition (not of course as much as milk) and also helps to fill baby to "tide them over". Hope this helps!
I would not do it either. I think  many moms did it years ago, I know mine did. But it is not recommended today. I think the AAP says it does not help baby to sleep through the night despite what you may hear from others.
The AAP and the World Health Organization recommends to exclusively breastfeed (or formula feed) for the 1st 6 months at which point solids can be introduced.
I started at 16 weeks and then at 18 started Veggies. I think all dr.'s have their own opinion and it is all based on each individual babies needs.
I would really educate yourself first and ask your dr. I believe a huge reason they say to wait is to make sure the babies digestive system is mature enough to digest some solids, otherwise I think it may cause ALOT of allergies. Thus all the peanut warnings these days. A babies digestive system identifies the protein in peanut butter for something (I can't think of the word) bad and tries to fight it off, giving the baby an allergy to it. Good luck.
We had a relative who was just feeding their baby (3 mos old) rice in a bottle.  When they found the baby in the crib he had choked to death.  Please do not do this.  Always feed by spoon.  When they are ready to "eat" they will "eat"; otherwise they will push it out w/their mouth.  This baby was not old enough to digest and the body's natural reaction is to get it out.  It is awful the way this happened.  ALWAYS follow doctor's orders.
I agree - do not put cereal in a bottle.  You are overriding your baby's natural readiness for solids.   You must test to see if your baby is ready for solids by spoon feeding.  If the baby pushes the cereal out, try again in a few weeks.  I did breast milk only until 6 months, and then added cereal.  Research the information yourself, and ask your doctor.
I think that each baby is differnt and each mother is differnt. What works for one will not necessarily work for the other. You do what you think is best and right, I do agree with everyone, when they say to research all your options, but at the end of the day, it's your child and you know that child better than any one of us.

I have a 3 month old, and I am slowly starting to add rice cereal to her formula at night time, 1 teaspoon, and slowly increase.
is it okay for a 3 month old to only eat three bottles a day.
Cause he eats a full formula bottle in the morning and the neext
bottle is a full formula and last bottle for the night is cereal bottle.

he is use to this schdule and i DO NOT wanna take him
off but is it ok for him to eat three a day
I would definitely talk to your ped about that one. I would think that 3 bottles a day is definitely not enough for a 3 month old. While the schedule may be convenient for you, I imagine it is not great for his digestion and development. Your pediatrician can give you more guidance on how often to offer bottles and how many ounces. Since your child seems to not take enough formula, I would cut out the cereal for a bit. His tummy is filling with the empty calories of the cereal instead of getting nutritous extra ounces of formula.
I agree with the above comment- 3 times is really not that much for a baby that little.  They need to stay hydrated too, which they get from the formula.  My little one was a hog at that size & still eating sometimes every 2 hours at that age.  They will go thru growth spurts & eat more at times & less at others, but they need the formula at this age.  Maybe baby is happy, but I would talk to your ped so you don't run into any issues down the road.
rice cereal is not recommended before 6 months because it can cause food alergies (allergies) for you child later on.. 3 bottles is REALLY NOT enough.. if he is only eating 3 bottles why are you doing rice cereal in one?  I have only heard of it for babies that want to drink bottles ALL the time.. I think it may be easier for you but it is not best for you baby.. I mean even adults drink more than 3 times a day!!! how much does he weigh?
I know your a young mommy, but I was too!! I was 17 when I had my first.... and I knew then that 3 bottles is definitely NOT enough. Take your baby to the Dr. That is almost starvation my dear. My 3 month old son eats at LEAST 10 bottles a day... you need to stop with the rice cereal and get that baby some nutrients!!!!
Only Three bottles? I have a 3 1/2 -month old and he has five 7 oz bottles a day. I was just searching for suggestion about feeding my little guy rice cereal from a spoon at 3 1/2 months. He doesn't seem to be satisfied with 35 oz of formula a day. I was thinking of tring one teaspoon a night until he is 4 months? He is 14 lbs, holding his head up and extremely strong. Any thoughts?
My son had acid reflux and would only sleep one hour at a time for 10 weeks.  My mom was a pediatric nurse for years.....she told me at that point to put rice cereal in his bottle and sure enough, my son was finally content and slept 10 hours a night.  He is now a healthy and happy child with NO allergies.  Adding rice made him a different baby and content.  
I think people overreact to the advice of the internet and the regular 'standards' they read.  Each baby is different.  Our daughter is now three months and we haven't touched rice yet.  Although she doesn't sleep through the night, we haven't seen a need yet to add it.  
Go with your gut....one try of rice cereal won't kill your child.  he/she will either react well to it or not.  
My son just turned 3 months old, he has been eating cereal for a while now in his bottle.  he does fine with it.  it also saves on formula because it fills him up.  he rests better at night too.  I think you should trust your instincts.  if you feel your child is ready then try it as long as their is no problems then go for it (of course talk to your dr).  I tried oatmeal with him and it gave him a belly ache.  Good luck!
I have been feeding my 3.5 month old baby rice cereal for a couple days now and he seems to be doing very well with it.  However, I started off with really liquidy rice cereal ( I didnt mix it how the box recommended).  It doesnt make him sleep any longer really..maybe an hour but definetly helped with acid reflux!
My ped told me as long as a baby can hold there head up well on there own they are fine to get cereal off a spoon and just because 2 children out of 1000 had allergies intestinal problems or obesitie after eating cereal younger then 6 months doesn't make it waiting that long right for every baby. In case you didn't notice most of our parents were fed cereal at a very young age (some from birth) and its our generation and there after us that are becoming more and more obese maybe of parents were so scared of the outside world, kids ridding bikes, kids getting sick and not playing so much with video games cell phones and laptops we wouldn't have the problems we have now. I swear hand sanitizer will be the death of our race
My daughter us almost 3months old and has been on hypoallergenic formula and a really strong antacid for her reflux and nothing is working she spits up all the time and is not gaining weight. I have made the decision to put cereal in her formula without the advice of my pediatrician because he's not a big help and want to know if oat cereal is okay to put her on. I put it in her bottle and she has been doing fine she actually drinks the  bottle now before she refused it. I'm not really worried that she will choke because of hte acid reflux she could choke on her vomit any ways. But I guess what I'm asking is oat cereal okay because I see posts the rice cereal is constipating and the oat is as well I just dont know what one to feed her. thanks
Hello
So my daughter had the same problem and I changed her to the Similac Spit up formula because the hyperallergenic wasn't helping and she has been doing amazing on that, and now recently started rice cereal from a spoon and she is content and dosent spit up as often. I have also been taking her to the chiropractor for her acid reflux and now taking her off her meds for good, couldn't be happier! and shes a happier baby also.

Good Luck I know what your going through!