Maternal & Child Community
Rising HCG following a miscarriage - please help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I really hope someone can help... My LMP was on 3 December, and we had sex on my ovulation day.  On the day my period was due I did an early pregnancy test and it was negative.  We had sex again on 1st January. On 3 January I did a test as my period still hadn't arrived and it was positive (as were all the others I did that day). The test said it was 1 -2 weeks since conception.  A week later I noticed a brownish discharge which turned red the next day.  When they took my blood they said my HCG was 182 and progesterone 20, and that I was probably miscarrying.  They did an internal scan and couldn't find a fetus anywhere - not on my tubes, ovaries or in my womb - though the lining was thick. 48 hours later I was bleeding a little more (but not much at all) and while my progesterone stayed that same my hcg was down to 70, so they confirmed a miscarriage.  I bleed quite a bit (but not loads) the next day and then had a red discharge for the next week.  One week later I had mild cramps and a few days later the discharge stopped.  However, the doctors said that my HCG had risen to 254.  I'm so confused and scared.  I was devastated to miscarry as we had been trying for 2 years and literally ALL my friends are pregnant.  What could this be - an ectopic?  Or some kind of tumour (even though there was no fetus before)?  Pregnancy test is telling me I'm 2 -3 weeks since conception which must be impossible....?  I don't want to live in hope but I don't want to live in fear either - next doctors appointment isn't for 2 days....
If you've been tested and your hCG has risen that means that either you didn't have a miscarriage (which is rare since your numbers did fall) or that this is a new pregnancy that happened right after the miscarriage. There really isn't much you can do at this point but just wait it out and see what happens at the next appointment.
The other possibility is losing one of a set of twins.  But all you can really do is see what your numbers have done at your next blood draw.  I'd ask them for one blood test every two days for a while.
how did your appointment go today?