Maternal & Child Community
Risk of Uterine Rupture with 3rd C-Section

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am 30 years old. In 1994 I had 2 children (Jan of 94 and again in Dec of 94). With my 2nd child and c-section there was a small tear in the lower part of my uterus where the previous c-section scar was located. It was repaired.

At the time my OB/GYN said that I should wait at least 1 year before becoming pregnant and then would most likely need to be on bed rest from between the 4th and 5th month until delivery.

I am now pregnant with my 3rd child (8 1/2 years since last C-section). I have moved to another state so it is impossible to go back to the OB/GYN who performed the c-section with the uterine tear. I should also say that I have had no complications with cramping or menstrual periods. I am aware of the risk of uterine rupture during this c-section (have one scheduled at 38 weeks to prevent the possibility of going into labor)and the possibility/probability of a hysterectomy.

I am concerned about a uterine rupture prior to delivery.

My question is: Does the risk of a 2nd uterine rupture while pregnant (not during c-section or labor/delivery)decrease with the amount of time between pregnancies? I haven't been able to find any literature on this.
Hi, I can only tell you my experience. I had c-section with 1st childin 99. Had vbac in 2001 noproblems. Im pregnant again and asked my doctor if now my risks of tear would be less, she said no that it was the same risk. I dont know if this will help you...
Has anyone had a ruptured uterus and then had a baby and all is well
Hi!  I had my 1st C sec in 2000 (baby in distress) in 2003 tried VBAC with my second.  He was in at an odd angle and ended up w/ another c sec.  At that point the DR took @ an hour to sew me back up (I was in and out in 20 min w/ my 1st).  He said I'd  had a uterine tear and to NEVER try a VBAC again.  3rd c-sec in 2006 and all went well (It was scheduled but he ended up 5 week premiee 5.9 lbs).  No complications during pregnancy or delivery w/ #3 and no sign of rupture.  The dr's don't say so but I'm convinced an inhospitable uterine environment caused the prematurity. (1st baby 1 week early, 2nd 2 weeks, 3rd 5 weeks - 4 never happening :-) We just Thank God he is well.   Hope this helps.