Maternal & Child Community
Risks assoicated with induction at 38 weeks PEEK

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am just wandering what the risks if any there are of getting induced at 38 weeks. I have been having a lot of bleeding and really would like to ask my doctor to induce this week because I am worried if they dont something may be wrong, and that I have had a very difficult pregnancy... I really would like some information and facts that I can use. I want to be able to say I did my research and I want to make sure this is something I can do.  

The biggest problem with an elective induction at 38 weeks is an increased chance of C/Section, depending on how far dilated you are to begin with, and how much effacement there is.

Your doctor would likely check your cervix, and do what's called a Bishop score to predict the sucess of an induction.  Or not; many don't.

Tell your doctor how concerned you are with the continued bleeding.  Ask how he/she knows you are not having a problem with a tiny portion of the placenta separating, called a "marginal abruption".  Tell him your concerns.  If he thinks it safe to induce you, perhaps he will.

I'm afraid I don't have facts for you.  Either the bleeding is just from a irritated cervix (very common, not significant) or not; or there is a small portion of the placenta that is separated (can be serious) or not; or some other problem that just can't be demonstrated right now.  

I saw you'd said that no one has done an ultrasound after all this bleeding.  Frankly, I'm surprised at that.  

I wish I knew what to tell you.  Good luck.
my first pregnnacy, i got induced only a couple of days early, but i did end up in a csection. so this time, my doctor says i have to have a csection . i am 34 weeks. adn she says shes putting my due date for 39 weeks. but i remember last month when i asked her when the earliest i can go in was and she said 38 weeks and a couple of days. i asked a couple of doctors after that and they said the same.
my doc says they check your cervix and if it looks ok - you can be induced
we knew when I was about 6 months pregnant what day I would be induced
38 weeks 4 days

it went fine - easy as pie!  I highly recommend it - I have never heard of anyone getting a c section after induction - so there are positive stories out there
Well then, there you go.  Mysty says it will be just fine!  No worries at all.  

I had a c/s after an induction caused a complete uterine rupture, there are risks.  Most of the time it goes just fine, but I would present your concerns to your dr. and ask if you are ready to induce, or, if you are fine with a c/s, ask him if he would be willing to do that.
I had a c-section after being induced for 5 days. I can tell you the induction was not fun and after 5 days I never dialated past 1 1/2 cm.  Even after my water broke I still never dialated and I finally had a c-section. I can tell you that the c-section was much better than the induction that lasted 5 days. They tried pitocin, cytotec and cervidil and nothing worked. This is not the norm and I hope it goes much better for you! :)
You guys!  Mysty says it easy as pie!  

*rolls eyes until they get stuck that way*
haha-Definitely wasn't easy as pie for me! In the end I was glad for the c-section. My daughter was 9 lbs. 2 oz. and 21 1/2 inches long.
My doctor also pointed out complications with lung development if your ultrasounds dated you wrong. She said she would never consider an induction unless it was necissary before 39 weeks.

Peek I'm with you...I wish it had been easy. My 4th baby I was at 4 cm, was in labor at 4 cm for 28 hours. Not so easy. Oh and I hemorrhaged...hmmm...
peek and othes - I said it was easy as pie - for ME!  not everyone - BUT I also want her to know there are good stories to go with these horror stories -

Our docs regularly induce at 38 weeks 4 days - I don;t know anyone personally who has had a problem - YES I see the horror stories on here - BUT this girl needs to know there is nothing to fear - if her doc is COMPETENT he would never induce unless he was sure she was ready - are there exceptions? - ALWAYS  - would I induce - every single time!

I am not a csection fan - and I don't like surprises - the one I didn;t get induced for was heck - so from my point of view it is "always"  better to induce - (gee isn't that what we are supposed to be doing writing from OUR point of view????)

I wonder if people on here don't realize the point is to SHARE opinions and stories - if you want to bad mouth someone peek - I think you should do it is person - this board is not for hostility or drama - it is for support!
Um, I would highly recommend you take the advice of an L&D nurse with 30+ years experience over any of the others here.

And I have to ask Boosty, how many doctors do you have on speed dial? It seems you always add "I have asked many doctors about this" whenever you try to give your post credibility. You must pay out the wazoo for consults on these questions.

And to tell someone there is nothing to fear is reckless. You have no idea about her history. I swear, in the name of "support" some of the worst advice gets doled out on here.
this question is just for personal education purposes!!! ............is getting your memebranes stripped a form of induction?  and if it is, if you are already dilated to 6 cm then does it still qualify as an induction method if your water hasn't broken?  

i was induced at full term and it sucked.. i was 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced and breaking my water didnt work.. pitocin did but only dilated me of one cm after 4 hrs on it... it sucked.. as soon asi got the epi.. 2 hours later and i thinned out and dilated and gave birth... i have head that induction hurts far worse but it went nice with us.. the only issue we had was dr didnt think Cam would fit in the birth canal.. but he did!
Stripping the membranes isn't generally considered to be a method of induction.  Call it "cervical encouragement"!  That sounds much nicer!

Methods of inducing labor can be pharmacological (Cytotec, Cervidil, prostaglandin gel, Pitocin, or any other type of medication placed in the vagina or given IV to start labor when the process hasn't begun yet)

or physical, as in breaking the water, which may or may not be followed by the use of a pharmacological method.  Membrane stripping is kind of a grey area.  It doesn't always work.  Its something they do, often just to see if it will work, if someone is dilated some and they want to get them "going", without formally inducing.

"Augmentation" is using physical or pharmacological methods to strengthen contractions or hasten labor which has already begun.

How can you recommend induction?  Unless it's necessary then I understand...but it's not what someone wants to do.  I was induced at 41 weeks because I was dilated at 1 cm for 3 weeks and I wasn't budging.  I was also huge and running out of space (fluid) for my big guy.  He was 9 lbs 2 oz at birth.  It went very well for me with no complications but that's not to say everyone is going to have a smooth birth.  Giving support doesn't mean telling someone "sure it will be fine", because no one knows that it will.  Not trying to scare anyone but we don't know how things will go.  Unless you are a psychic, which I don't think any of us are.
thank you!  i was wondering if what happened to me w/ my 1st being an emergency c-section had anything to do w/ having that done?  i'm really mad that i can't remember exactly what happened that day.  all i remember was being 6cm dilated but i wasn't feeling my contractions.  i had a doc appt that morning and he stripped my memebranes b/c i was dilated that much and sent me straight to l&d.  i remember them breaking my water for me but i don't know at what time and i don't remember if it was before or after my epidural and i don't believe they did anything else along the lines of medications for induction (but of course its all a blur).  

anyways, sorry for rambling...  but along the lines of induction causing fetal distress and c-sections sometimes...  i was just wondering if that's what happened in my case.  i know you can't tell me for sure, but i was just wondering after reading all the induction posts.  dd had to be an emergency c-section after all that b/c she ended up face up on my pelvic bone and they said it would have put too much pressure on her neck and shoulders for me to push (they never had me push).
Its hard to say what happened, b/c so often the recollection of what really went on is so blurred by pain, excitement, and just by not being a medical person, or not understanding what you are being given (if anything).
I doubt that the membrane stripping had much to do with what happened.  Sometimes, there are just unavoidable fetal heart rate changes during labor that can lead to an emergency C/S.  
thank you!  i was just wondering if i fell into the category of having to have a c-section b/c of some kind of induction.  :)

i'm having my 4th now on friday and this time i'm scared so i'm asking all kinds of questions about everything!!!
I read these and I get ticked off....sorry, but I do!!!!  

I begged and pleaded with my Dr to induce me.  I had everything under the sun going wrong and my Drs would just smile and say....Sorry, No!

Not only ' no' but you must continue to work full time until you deliver!  So, after my last pleading and attempt to be induced....my son decided to show up 12 hrs later.

What a good little momma's boy he is!!!

To -OP -

make sure you go to your Dr with facts.  I took Peeks 'facts' and advice and went to my Dr back in October...of course...you just read my outcome....They refused and refused.  Dont' get yourself to worked up about it though....I was devastated, I was certain my little boy wouldn't make it out okay unless they induced.  The Drs and nurses know what they are doing....trust them.....Ask for an ultrasound.

I felt the exact same way as you.  I had a horrible pregnancy and everything was going wrong in the end....I truly felt my son wasn't going to make it but my Drs didn't induce and my labor went fine and I have a healthy son to show for it!
deanne11 - I hear ya, it's really all circumstantial.  I wanted to be induced earlier then 41 weeks because I was just in so much pain but it wasn't medically necessary.  If she's bleeding and had a complicated pregnancy then she may need to be induced.  I don't think it's ok to recommend it unless it's very necessary.  No matter what it all boils down to what's best for the baby and for the mother.

I'm glad everything worked out for you and Jakeepoo.  That's my new nick name for him....lol.
mami -

I just find it odd that some people say their Drs were like sure..no problem.

I had everything going wrong and my Drs wouldn't budge!  But my boy knew it was time....he knew Momma needed him early.  Of course for me...I was monitored every 2 weeks via ultrasound towards the end and taking NST twice a week....so my Drs knew he was fine.  I was the one having problems.

Jakeepoo is no longer my sweet little baby...he's turned into my strong willed, screaming, clenching his fists, arching his back....hair pulling, biting until he gets his way 8 month old!!!!
My water broke at home 10 days early with my first pregnancy but when I got to the hospital my labor wouldn't progress so I was given Pitocin to induce my labor so that there won't be a chance of an infection.  I didn't have a bad experience, in fact, mine was so smooth and easy.  BUT, I am not here to encourage you to do or not to do anything.  Just offering my personal expereince.  It wasn't by my choice anyway.
Just remember every birth is different, you have to do what is right and best for yourself and baby.  In my case, I was having issues with my baby's size being so small (5lb 10ozs full term), if he was still not gaining  enough, they would of gotten him out regardless to be safe.  I am 29+weeks pregnent and they will be giving me routine U/S starting at 32 weeks to monitor her progress.  I am surprised you are not given that choice to make sure everything is alright.  
I would just discuss it with your OB and express your concerns and trust your feelings.  If you sense something might be wrong, go straight to the hospital and get it checked out.  I would.
Thank you all for your advice and different views. My doctors appointment went okay, but they could not find the cause of the bleeding. When my doctor did my exam he said that his glove had blood on it and I could probably go into labor at any time. He is going to induce labor Monday the 16th if I havnt gone on my own but he predicts (he has done this before) that I will go this week. I am 1.5 cm dialiated and 50% effaced still I have only changed a little bit... Agian thank you all so much for your views and advice it is greatly appriciated.
Good luck to you hon!

Sounds like my last appt with Jake.  Dr did internal...blood on glove...1.5 cm dilated....this was at 11am on Wednesday....Jake was born at 11:42am on Thursday!!!!

We scheduled induction for the following Monday....never made it to the appt, obviously!

Wishing you the same relief with a blessed outcome.
My daughter was taken by a scheduled c-section on 4/22/08, and she was 38w2d.  She was born with her lungs working GREAT, but she was a little on the small side.  She was only 17 inches long and weighed 5lbs12oz.  Had we held out a little longer she may have caught up, but who knows.  We had no choice but to do c-section because she wanted the world to see her butt first.  =)
Thanks... My doctor is waiting until I am 39.2 weeks. I really appriciate your help.
I had the same exact experience as Gnicole except I went 10 more days after being induced.  I was induced at exactly 39 weeks and then went past my due date.  Nothing worked I had a C-section and loved it.  I wish they would have done that when they first induced me and it did not work but they said I had time and wanted me to go natural.  

I can tell you I am a big baby and the worst part of having one (to me) was being pregnant.  I had a horrible pregnancy.  Bleeding, vomiting, hospitalized 2 times.  HORRIBLE.  When they broke my water that hurt and that was pretty much it.  Even after the C-section I was up and around.  

I really think it depends on your doctor on how well you do and my doctor is great.

Good Luck.
( A late comment I know ) Im a mum of a 13 yr old & 9yr old & now 34wks preg with our 3rd . I was induced with both my older children Via drip Early morning after my waters starting leaking with both.Both took 6hrs once the contractions really kicked in so both afternoon babies .
would I do it again yes both came healthy & alert .
I was recently at a friends birth she was induced all up 11hrs baby came out healthy & she went home following day !!!!
I found the contractions very intense I plan to try harder with controling my breathing this time better the chance of no fetal destress (no c section) . How ever there are many complications that can arise in different women . Communication with your doctor is the best way to get the answers you need .
Plenty of women with experiences none may end up relating to yours ,Do whats best for you at this time & your baby (ask your doctor )
Kind regards
Induction is a medical procedure that comes with risks and benefits, as do all medical procedures.

It should not be entered in to lightly.  Thats all you need to take away from this.  If your babies were born many years ago, as indicated in your post, many things have changed in the interim since you last delivered.

We have the benefits of many studies in this area to help with decision making.  Some doctors will still induce for convenience reasons, rather than for a medical indication.  With a first baby, your chances of a C/Section are much higher with an elective induction that without one.

Second and subsequent pregnancies, that may not hold true.  

But there are always risks, and that's why it is not a decision to be made lightly or for reasons of convenience.  If there are medical indications, that's a whole different story.
i was induced with both my girls at 38 weeks as the were small babies 1st was 4lb 11oz 2nd was 5lb 6 1/2oz every thing went fine labours were normal and very quick 6 1/2 hours and 3 1/2 hours i am now expecting my 3rd in 13 weeks and is being induced again.
At the risk of peekawho rolling his or her eyes at me, I will say I was induced with my first at 38 weeks and it went pretty smoothly.  personal experiences are great, but it would be nice if someone would reference an actual study.  I'm interested to know actual statistics.