Maternal & Child Community
Robitussin Question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Robitussin Question

Can someone please explain to me how Robitussin is supposed to help in conception?  When are you supposed to take it and how often?  I had a D&C in July due to a blighted ovum.  The doctor suggested waiting 3 cycles before trying to conceive.  Does the Robitussin really help?
Hi sunshine, I don't know about the robi, I have done it the past two cycles and it hasn't gotten me pg. It is suppose to increase your cervical mucus and make the environment better for sperm to live in. It did increase my cm a bit, But I didn't get pregnant. I don't ovulate regularly so that could also be the problem, so I am starting clomid this next cycle. I also post on Fertility Friend and Have met a few women who the robi has worked for, they also say 2 cups of green tea a day will help. With the robi your suppose to take 2 tsp 3 times a day from about day 10 of your cycle until you ovulate. Hope this helps, and good luck! KEndra
I tried it during cycle 2 and for me it really did increase my EWCM. However, I started it back up last cycle (#5) and I really didnt see much of an increase. I guess it works for some and not others. GL to you.

Machelle'
TTC#3, C6, CD3
http://circles2.fertilityfriend.com/home/25feb
*What kind of Robitussin is used to improve cervical mucus?

One should buy the plain kind with no letters after it. The only active ingredient is guaifenesin, and it contains 100 mg per teaspoon. It is very important to avoid the versions that contain decongestants as those may dry up cervical mucus. Also, there is some conflicting information about whether dextromethorphan, the DM in some cough medicine names, may be linked to birth defects such as neural tube defects and cleft palate.

*Do I need to use the brand Robitussin?

No. Robitussin is the most common brand name, at least in the U.S., that carries a guaifenesin-only expectorant, but there are other brands and generics available. As long as the only active ingredient is guaifenesin, you can use any variety you find. For those with diabetes or otherwise concerned about sugar intake, there is the brand Diabetic Tussin available.

*What is the recommended dose of guaifenesin?

The recommended dose for improving cervical mucus, based on a 1982 article in Fertility and Sterility, is two teaspoons (200 mg) taken orally three times per day. If mucus still appears thick and doesn't have good spinnbarkeit (ability to stretch), one can take as much as four teaspoons (400 mg) four times per day (the maximum dose on this over the counter medication). Each dose should be taken with a full glass of water, and attention should be given to drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day -- one needs water to produce mucus.

*What cycle days should one take guaifenesin?

Just as the dose can vary a bit, so can the days. The article linked above had patients starting the guaifenesin on cycle day 5 - five days after the start of menses. This seems rather early as mucus is not an issue until about five days before ovulation - based on the fact that sperm can only live five days at best, and most pregnancies are the result of intercourse in the five days leading up to ovulation. Because of this information, it is now more common for doctors to suggest starting guaifenesin about five days before expected ovulation and continuing through ovulation day (six days total, for those with regular cycles). For those with irregular cycles, one should start taking guaifenesin about five days before the earliest day ovulation might be expected. For those taking Clomid (clomiphene citrate, Serophene) in a 5-day protocol, one can probably wait until the day after the last Clomid pill before starting the expectorant.

I myself am starting my 3 rd cycle with  robitussin with guafesen, I havent gotten pregnant yet. I have notice when I do take the robitussin I am more mucusy then usual.

I cant blame the robitussin though for me not getting pregnant. seeing I have only one ovary and one fallopian tube. I also am over weight and have irregular cycles lately. But my husband and I would like to have a baby so we are trying this for now.

Good luck on your search & trying
Hi! I used the Robitussin in July (one cycle) and conceived in July. It worked for me!! I wish you all the best of luck!! Shannon
Hi, im on day 3 (clomid 3-7), im about to start using Robi but unsure which type to use-i bought one for chesty cough and one for chesty cough and congestion.....anyone know which is best??
also anyone having trouble trying to concieve (conceive) can check this website
www.fertilityzone.co.uk
its free to register but you can browze everyone elses questions and fears without registering

Good luck on your quest to parenthood
*BABYDUST* for everyone

xsammiex
doe.s anyone know what do u take frist the clomie or the robittusin do u take the robittusin frist after your mantsra and then the clomie
i started my manstra  on the 7/7/07 i use the robitussin on the 5 day and now am starting the clomie am i doing this rigth .w.b need in information .