Maternal & Child Community
Rolling from Back to Tummy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Rolling from Back to Tummy

How old was everyone's baby when they learned to roll over?  My son is 5 1/2 months and he still can't roll over.  He can roll from side to side but not from back to tummy.  Should I be concerned?  He can sit on his own without being supported but can't roll over.
addy is 5.5 months and can roll sometimes from tummy to back but not the other way around unless i help her.  she doesnt care to lol.  
dd didn't do back to tummy until at least 8 months. belly to tummy started btw 5 and 6 months, if i recall correctly. don't worry about it! she learned to go from laying to sitting around 8 1/2 months, and she was right on time for crawling- 9 months. like pertykitty's dd, my dd just had no desire to go on to her belly :)
Alright, good.  He hates being on his belly.  Maybe he's smart enough to know that's somewhere he does not want to be....lol.
Ethan did it at 3 months, but starting at 2 1/2 months he would get himself to his side.  I just had to teach him how to get his leg over.  He doesnt really do the belly to back thing to much.  He also mainly rolls to the left for back to belly, but just last week rolled right a few times.  I think your baby is right on track though.  Every baby does things differently.  
edward never like to be on his tummy unless he was sleeping. i used to let him nap like that once and while before he could roll, but if he was awake, like the others said, he just didn't want to be on his tummy. for me, it seemed like he did NOTHING for the first six months and between 7 and 8 months, everything came all at once. rolling, pulling to a stand, crawling and teeth! he got like 4 teeth in 2 days, the same week he started crawling. i thought he was never gonna do anything. i wanted him to move around himself so badly. now i would give anything to go back to that time when he stayed still! but no, i wouldn't be concerned at all if i were you. jayden seems to be rivk on track. every baby is different. i went over my girlfriends house the other day and her 5 months old was army crawling and scooting across the floor. edward was still in "blob stage" when he was that age. don't worry at all :o)
sorry, i meant "right" on track. thank god this week is almost over! haha.
My niece turns over but does not sit up on her own so I guess every baby is different.

Haha "blob" stage...too funny.  When he is on his tummy he tucks his knees in and scoots his body but he's whining the entire time.
She rolled over one time when she was 2 months old from belly to back. I was laying on the bed with her and she just rolled over. I couldn't believe it! It took her a long time to do it again. It was shortly after she was 4 months old.
My girls both rolled over at about 3 1/2 -4 months Jordana is almost 5 and rolls from her back to tummy every time I put her on her back, but she sometimes get stuck on her belly and cant roll back to front.she was rolling to her side at around 3 months. I dont think there is anything to worry about, some kids are early on things and later on others, or visa versa. He sounds healthy and normal, he'll go when he is ready and be all over the place before you know it. Jordana is already inching like an inch worm, it is so cute but, I wish she wouldnt keep growing up so fast!
Okay....this may sound crazy...but my 3 week old...rolled over from his tummy to his back a few days ago! Is that crazy?? I put him on his belly on my bed and next thing I knew he was on his back! haha...I thought that happened much later. It was cute though. =)
Well my son was a little tire with extra thread! At 6 months he wore size 2 clothing. He was so big that at 9 months he could do nothing but lay on his back,all my friends babies (younger then mine) did all those things... and mine laid on his back. A week later he was rolling, sitting, getting up in his crib and at 12 months he was walking and climbing out of the crib!!! He is almost 12 now, tall and so skinny that I buy him t-shirts a size or two bigger so he looks bigger!

So no worries, they all get there in their own time. That's why we do not come in this world with a manual, or else the manufacturer would have to many recalls. hehehe!
Thanks ladies....I'm glad I don't have to worry.  
My baby is 5mns now. He started at 4 mns. He realy can move closer to get his toy
Ds started turning tummy to back at 6 weeks old.. I KNOW...I was in total shock however it was not an everyday thing...around 4 months it began to be back to tummy and tummy to back and he started using the "rolling" to get where he wanted to be.. he is now 8 months old almost and is a pro lol..he has been crawling/snake since 5 mos old and now is getting do do the deed on his hands and knees...every baby is different and i am learning this more and more everyday...Cameron just started sitting on his own about a month ago and is getting more and more better....which the dr said he should have been doing since 5 mos..:S oh well...they are mysteries
Ds rolled from tummy to back for the first time at 4wks, and then started doing it consistently at 3m. He's 4m tomorrow and can now roll both ways and "creep" along on his tummy. He's starting to get his knees up under him so I'm sure the crawling phase is quickly approaching. I'm not sure we're ready ;) Dd was 4m to sit up, 7m to crawl, 10m to walk and never rolled! Go figure, every baby is different.