Maternal & Child Community
Rubella in early pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Rubella in early pregnancy

I'm 9 weeks pregnant and last week I had my blood tests done. Today I just received in e-mail the results and the one for Rubella is positive. I called the doctor's office but is nobody there to help me with an answer until tomorrow....
My question is....Is there any chance to be a false positive?
I'm a little confused and very worried in the same time......What are the next steps?
Where should I go from here?

And I have another question...I also have a 10 months old daughter......During the time I was pregnant with her everything was fine...So I assume I was immune to Rubella....So how is possible to be tested positive now? If I wasn't immune how come I wasn't give a vaccine to be protected in the future pregnancy right away after I gave birth to my daughter?

Can someone help me with an answer please?
Thank you!

Do you mean the test says you have rubella right now, or that there was a titer run that says you have been previously exposed to rubella?  If it is the latter (i.e., you got rubella sometime in your life) you are immune to rubella now.
The results I got in e-mail look like this:

Component                Value                                Flag Low High    Unit
RUBELLA VIRUS IGG, EIA POSITIVE

I think I had Rubella when I was a kid but this was over 25 years ago.....Is it possible that because of that to be tested posive know?

I don't remember that my doctor mention anything about this with my previous pregnancy...

Thank you for your answer!

That means you are immune to rubella.  You do not have the disease.  You can stop worrying.  Good luck with your pregnancy.
Yep.  It is a normal result.  You are immune.  That's all.
Thank you very much for your answers!
I really appreaciate it!