Maternal & Child Community
Runny/stuffy nose, watery eyes...what is it??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

DD had her second dose of the flu shot on Friday.  She did very well and had no reaction to the shot.  On Saturday, she got watery eyes and I didn't pay much attention to it b/c it didn't seem to bother her much (it seemed very minor).  On Sunday, she got a runny/stuffy nose for about two hours and it went away so again, I paid no attention to it.  Today, however, it was really bad.  The nose was runny for about 5 hours non stop, eyes tearing and she's super cranky today.  She has no fever and is not coughing.  I called the dr and he told me that it can't be the reaction to the shot.  It might be that her mucus is irritated by the heat that we're getting in our apartment (the changes in temps between the outside and the inside) and suggested we had a humidifier.  Does that make sense to you?  Do I use the saline drops?  She's so miserable and can't breathe through her nose.  How do I eliviate it for her?  Is it teething, do you think?  I have so many questions running through my head right now.  Sorry to ramble on.  Thank you for any suggestions.
She did very well and had no reaction to the first portion of the shot (which was done a month ago).
Is it standard to get 2 shots for the flu vaccination? My sister's baby had 2 also but dd only had 1. Maybe at her 15mo visit she'll get her other one, hmm. I would say vaporizer....Their noses get stuffed and the vaporizer at night will help keep the passages open by putting moisture in the air. That's great she has no fever, Lily had one for 10days and it drove me NUTZO!!. Saline drops work also. It it very trying at bedtime too, ugh. How is the new baby ?  :)
Ugh, I took a day off b/c it's getting worse.  She also seems to have a low grade  fever.  Her forehead is very warm but the thermometer's not showing anything.  I'm also worried sick about the new baby.  All of a sudden the moving/kicking has decreased since yesterday morning.  And my dr's not in his office today (ugh!)
There has to be someone there. I would call and at least have them check out the hb. Do you have a home doppler. It seems like they get very concerned with decreased movement, I would call. About Ariella, I also put vick's vapor rub on Lily's chest back & neck (infants)
Try giving your dd some tylenol cold, it will help with the fever and the other symptoms.  Also when she is sleeping try elevate her a little by putting a rolled up towel under her mattress.

kellym:  as for the flu shots the child only receives a 2nd or booster shot when it's their first year getting them, after that they only need one a year.
I feel it move but the kicks have become significantly weaker.  I don't have a home doppler but I do have a stethoscope.  If I only knew where to look for the baby's h/b and if I can hear it with the stethoscope.  About Ariella, my sister suggested the same thing only I'm afraid to use the vick's vapor rub for some reason.  And yes, they do get two shots when they're getting it for the first time with one month interval.  
Thank you...I'll look into tylenol cold.
I think you should be able to hear it on the stethescope, just look around. It will be fun for dd. DOn't be scared of the rub, that's why they make children's strenght..